Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPIC TOUCH 4G Ice Cream Sandwich Update YOU NEED TO KNOW

Highlighted
Journeyman

EPIC TOUCH 4G Ice Cream Sandwich Update YOU NEED TO KNOW

Hey all!  Just gots my ice cream!  In all the update went well.  It was kinda weird though.  Yesterday morning, my 3G was pegged for about an hour (estimated).  Then all of a sudden, a popup appeared on screen saying there was an update ready to install. 

NOW....here are some things everyone with a Epic touch 4G needs to know when doing this update!

FIRST.....go here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-ii-epic-4g-touch/190358-noobs-el29-ff18-user-guide....

Go there and follow his instructions to the letter!  The biggest thing that needs to be done after the update is to do a factory reset!  I doubted it , but from what I was reading, the update leaves teh system sluggish (among other thigs). After I did the update, it was VERY sluggish.  Not wasting ANY time, I did a factory reset.  After that, it's running smooth and FAST! 

This information needs to be passed along to everyone that is getting this update.  There are ALREADY a LOT of peeved people out there as they DON'T know that this MUST be done.

And YES, doing a factory reset will delete all of your information.  BUT THIS IS NECESSARY as a lot of applications leave pieces of themselves behind after the upgrade that need to be eliminated as that is what is screwing up the upgrade.  It's not difficult to reinstall your apps and info.  I did mine in less than half an hour. 

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Journeyman

Factory reset does not fix the ICS problems.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had did the manual update the day it was first available and battery life was horrible and had freezing issues. I then heard the update was pulled due to having issues, 5 days ago I recieved the OTA updated version of ICS and decided to install it, another mistake I did cause battery life was again horrible and still had freezing issues so I rolled back to 2.3.6 and was like never again am I updating to ICS unless it was fixed!!! Now last night I read this and I thank you so much for posting this PACKHNTR now everyone needs to pay attention cause as I once again tried updating to ICS using Dark_Knights 2 methods. I followed everything he wrote step by step and all I can say is WOW!!! ICS is now working flawlessly with my battery life being equaled to 2.3 or even better no more freezing issues, everything damn near perfect. I get better GPS lock, 3g data and call reception etc. Only thing that worried me was that adobe flash was removed from the play store and couldn't be downloaded to my phone, by the way I ended installing adobe flash player 11 anyways using a different method. If anyone tries this step by step, it will work. The main thing to do is after you do a factory reset, follow the steps to force close your apps that you don't need then restart(reboot) your phone, follow the steps for removing animations and have the only one process options etc...you need to follow this just as dark knight 2 explains cause once you do that, you will finally have a flawless ICS believe me it really works cause I'm finally staying with ICS, no need to go back with 2.3

Highlighted
Journeyman

Another thing is to not download apps that are not compatible with ICS...hope it works out like it did for me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was having all sorts of issues after the update and I did a factory reset, removed battery and held the power and volume button up to clear the cache, etc...and nothing worked. I took my phone in to a Sprint repair store and the problem was some where in the OTA update the software never finalized. They said that in order to get all of the update and for it to finalize it has to be done in the store and they weren't sure why this happened. No fault of their own (Sprint) but it is an error on Google and Samsung side cause they are the ones who take care of all this stuff. After they did the final push of ICS and it finalized my phone has been working perfectly and my battery life is much better and it doesn't get hot anymore either. So if anyone is having these issues I would find a Sprint repair store and take your phone in to have this done ASAP!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey BXNYM2004: Thanks, I do what I can to help.  I am not responsable for the proper upgrade (I wish I could say I was), and I hope everyone goes to the site and fixes their phones.  It's easy to do.  I was very VERY scared to do it as if I bricked the phone, I could not afford to replace it.  Well, using the steps they tell you to, it is not possible to brick the phone.  They deserve all of the credit.  Presently, they are working hard on CM10mod (Jellybean) for our phone.  I have heard that they are close.  I am very happy running "vanilla" Ice Cream Sandwich for now though.  Glad I could help! 

Highlighted
Journeyman

OH!  Almost forgot!  I was reading on another link about an app that actually works to increase battery life.  I checked it out, installed it and well, here is my present results (please recall I am using a 3200mah battery) : 1 day 6hours 57min and I have 58% battery LEFT!  If anyone is interested it is named "Battery Defender - Battery Saver" and it is free and it WORKS!  Normally I would be at 25%-35% right now.  I recommend installing it!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't know how many of you have had Android phones before or even tried rooting one.  However, this was a very common problem with the Gingerbread updates to many rooted phones for quite sometime.  The fix was NOTHING a user could do without rooting the phone and updating the KERNEL to the operating system.  For those unaware, the kernel is the core of the operating system itself.  Without it, it is nothing more than just a pretty "shell" that does nothing at all.  Not sure if anyone has thought about this or mentioned it.  But, it was the first thing that came to mind after I watched my battery die out in hours and saw that the Android OS was the first thing listed in applications using battery with half of it, if not more.

Just an idea.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat