Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPIC touch 4g data roaming error notification problem after update to ICS

Highlighted
Journeyman

EPIC touch 4g data roaming error notification problem after update to ICS

Hi,

At work I'm right on the edge of service between Sprint and roam.  Prior to update the service would switch back and forth without issue and without notification.  Now all day long I get errors in the notification bar about data roam error.  "Data roaming.  You have lost data connectivity because you left your home network with data roaming turned off"  I've been in the settings pane that deals with data roaming and have made sure I have it set up to allow data roaming but somehow it still reports this error as fast as I clear the error it comes back.

When i click on the notification it brings me to mobile network settings page and there is a check in the 3G data roam box.  I've tried checking and unchecking the roam block settings which does nothing.  How do I allow 3G data roaming and get rid of this annoying message?  is this a known bug, I don't see much about it online, just a few posts of similar problem but no solution.

Also, maybe this is related, but I have had awful signal strength since day 1, unfortunately so have many others.  No improvements since android ICS update, any other tips to try to get this phone's signal to function on par with other phones?  even my old non-smartphone on the same sprint network in the same locations blew away the signal strength of this supposed 'smart phone'.

Thanks to all for their help

25 REPLIES 25
Journeyman

Re: EPIC touch 4g data roaming error notification problem after update to ICS

I'm having the same issues.  I thought it was due to our Airave, but after unplugging it same problems. 

Journeyman

I am as well.

Journeyman

I am also having this issue. I am in New Haven, CT area if that makes a difference. Like you, I was at work when I got the notice to update. My service is awful at work to begin with, so if I have any at all, it is from roaming. Initially I thought my data warning guards reset but that was not the case. It doesn't seem to cause any additional problems but it's still annoying. Now that I'm home, I update mypofile and prl to see if that helped. Ha I'm pretending to know what I'm doing! Anyhow, before that I was still getting that annoying error message even when I connected to my wifi. Not much online about this; it appears to he an issue for our network only. Also, I do NOT want to do a factory reset. I lose many apps and many other docs, pics, vids etc even when I think I've saved it all to sd card. Plus it's freakn a pain. By the way receiving this  long is the status updates from my cubicle this morning was not as exciting as I expected.... But I am happy is here I just hope they can fix it annoying problem if anybody knows anything please help!

Journeyman

Apparently I'm still having trouble with the voice feature now that I'm reading my own message sorry for the mistake I think you get my gist though I forgot to add that since I updated is prl and profile I have not experienced the message it's been about an hour and so far so good I don't know maybe you guys wanna try that

Journeyman

I just noticed I get the error immediatly after a call...a call that never rang & went straight to voicemail.  I'm on 3g as I'm not one of the lucky ones to even have 4g.  This needs fixing. 

Journeyman

I too am having the exact problem you are having and it is quite annoying. Everytime I clear the message it comes right back. Settings are set correctly as well. I hope someone can help solve this mystery or a they push an bug fix update very soon.

Journeyman

I too a having this

Journeyman

I have this problem as weel, also can't seem to get pandora to work unless im on wifi.  GPS takes forever to connect if it even does

Journeyman

To all struggling with or interested in the ICS update to the Samsung Epic 4G Galaxy S2:

Please consider reviewing the link below and adding your thoughts on the larger mobile computing/Android industry implications raised by the flawed ICS update.

Thank you.

Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

Journeyman

I have the same problem.

Journeyman

Same here.  I am in Endicott/Binghamton, NY and my 3G keeps going out.  I have also had LOS issues since the ICS update, not at home where we have an Airave but at work where there usually is a very strong signal.  Weird thing is that the phone will often show that 3G is active and the arrows are lit as if date is being exchanged, but when I try opening any app that uses the network, I get the "no network" error.  Tried restarting the phone several times, PRL and profile updates completed (but phone still says updates are available...), nothing works.  Phone is also getting VERY hot toward the top, not where the battery is.  Was working fine before update and better with it yesterday than it is right now.  Also telling me that it can't test 3G network because it's turned off, but in the settings it shows it is turned on!!!!  Does not make any sense.  Pissed!  Why is there no response here from Sprint?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat