Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPIC touch 4g data roaming error notification problem after update to ICS

Highlighted
Journeyman

EPIC touch 4g data roaming error notification problem after update to ICS

Hi,

At work I'm right on the edge of service between Sprint and roam.  Prior to update the service would switch back and forth without issue and without notification.  Now all day long I get errors in the notification bar about data roam error.  "Data roaming.  You have lost data connectivity because you left your home network with data roaming turned off"  I've been in the settings pane that deals with data roaming and have made sure I have it set up to allow data roaming but somehow it still reports this error as fast as I clear the error it comes back.

When i click on the notification it brings me to mobile network settings page and there is a check in the 3G data roam box.  I've tried checking and unchecking the roam block settings which does nothing.  How do I allow 3G data roaming and get rid of this annoying message?  is this a known bug, I don't see much about it online, just a few posts of similar problem but no solution.

Also, maybe this is related, but I have had awful signal strength since day 1, unfortunately so have many others.  No improvements since android ICS update, any other tips to try to get this phone's signal to function on par with other phones?  even my old non-smartphone on the same sprint network in the same locations blew away the signal strength of this supposed 'smart phone'.

Thanks to all for their help

25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Journeyman

Exact same issue.  Has anyone found a fix for this error?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've just been living with it and clear notifications when it pops up. For me, it randomly happens. There are times when I won't see the message for hours and then other times when it pops up every five minutes. Other than this annoying but small issue, my update has been great.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Having the same problem with the data roaming error on my epic touch 4G and my husband's htc evo 3D, both after ICS update

Highlighted
Journeyman

After experiencing the same symptoms with my Galaxy S2, I called Sprint customer service who finally suggested I do a master reset my phone. I agreed and followed the instructions provided by the customer service representative. This didn't solve my problem, so I was instructed to take my phone to a Sprint store for service. I did this the next day and the took my phone into the service area and kept it for about 20 minutes. When I got my phone back, I was told that they fixed the problem with it roaming and that it should work. I tested it after I left the store and sure enough, it did make and receive calls without attempting to roam.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can you shed light on what they might have done to fix it?  Is anyone monitoring this from Sprint who would know how a local sprint store would have the knowhow to fix this and why this knowledge isn't being shared with the rest of us?  Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sorry, but at the Sprint store, I was told only that it had been fixed and that it shouldn't try to roam anymore when roaming is set to Sprint Only.

The Sprint store is located in Fort Worth, Texas at :

Trinty Commons

3000 S Hulen St Ste 100

Fort Worth, TX 76109

(817) 377-3580

Highlighted
Journeyman

I actuallly had that as well but I finally got the 3G to stay on which made the roaming error go away.

settings, more, roaming changed to automatic  and then go to mobile networks and select 3G not sure why but now I don't get the error.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Add me to the list also..  I've been getting this notification since "upgrading" to ICS..

I get hardly no signal at my home but a full 5 bars of 4G just 1/4 mile away..   I'm constantly getting this roaming notification when at home.. I'm tired of clearing it..

I'm waiting on an AirRave and hoping this will resolve the issue but then again this phone's radio sucks so badly that I would not be surprised if it doesn't help.   I should have purchased the Motorola phone.

I would like the ability to turn off this notificaton at the very least..

Highlighted
Journeyman

Add me to the list. But my epic is always roaming and the coverage map claims i have good signal but i actually don't. I dont get 4g here.I didnt like gingerbread because of my opitmus s. And now i'm hating even having a phone on sprint because they haven't a answer to why i have no to extremely poor signal. So i feel i've been throwing away money on a service i haven't been able to use to the fullest extent of my plan.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same problem here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Bkang wrote:

I actuallly had that as well but I finally got the 3G to stay on which made the roaming error go away.

settings, more, roaming changed to automatic  and then go to mobile networks and select 3G not sure why but now I don't get the error.

Interesting... I too am having this issue.  I've checked my settings and everything is setup as it should be. Roaming-Automatic, Enabled for Domestic Voice & Data, and 3G selected under Mobile Networks.  However, I still get the roaming error notification.  Also, I have this happen while on wifi and when it does it seems to break the wifi connecion.  Even though it still shows connected it doesn't work, browser pages won't load and Play Store says no connection.  Turn wifi off and on and it works again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I finally broke down and did a reset (tried taking battery out first without success) you will want to back up your data because it will erase it. 

settings

privacy

factory reset

Once I did that and it rebooted I received an "upgrade completed" and a message about roaming and if I wanted that type of error message which I answered NO, no more data roaming errors, my battery life has improved greatly and even though the signal is not as good as it was before I can make calls without dropping from home again!

Many of the apps I had I have decided not to reinstall because so many of them (if you take the time to read the terms) say they can take pictures/video at anytime without your knowledge, email and/or call people in your contacts without your knowledge!  No thank you! My smart phone is now just for calls and emails.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat