cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email doesn't update

Journeyman

Email doesn't update

Hi all. I have 4 email accounts set up in phone, 2 gmail and 2 yahoo. Only the "default" yahoo account updates properly. The other ones just stop updating. If open the account sometimes it will sit in refresh, and sometimes it will finish as if it is done but it still won't show my new emails. I've been told to use K9, and I may still, but really this something Android should be able to do just fine. I looked at the incoming/outgoing settings and they appear correct for gmail and yahoo. Any advice?

7 REPLIES 7
Wizard

Email doesn't update

There are a number of things that can cause emails to stop updating. Many of the causes can be resolved by removing the email account from your phone and re-adding it, so you might want to try that first. If re-adding the accounts doesn't fix the problem, make sure that Background data and Auto-sync are enabled in Home > Menu > Settings > Accounts & sync. Also, if you have any of your accounts in an email program running on your computer, there may be a setting that is deleting the emails from the server after retrieval. It's also possible, if you've installed a task killer, it may be killing the software process that checks for new emails. Let me know if this issue still persists.

-Donnie

Journeyman

Email doesn't update

1) I'll try re-adding the accounts

2) Background and Auto sync enabled, but I only have one account (gmail) listed in that section. Reason being when I add my other accounts it messed up all my contacts since they are not the exactly the same accross the email accounts (and I don't want them all on my phone anyway). Anyway the one account does that does update fine (yahoo) is not even listed in this section. Go figure.

3) No email program running on my computer

4) No task killer installed (pretty much a stock phone)

Email doesn't update

You can add all of your gmail accounts and just choose to only update the portions that you want (email, calendar, etc) - just choose not to update contacts for specific accounts. I have my husband's gmail account on my phone and only want the calendar info and that is all that syncs/updates.

Add your Yahoo account (it asks to "add" account) on the screen. Hope this helps

Journeyman

Email doesn't update

If all I want is email on everything other than my gmail account hooked to my Sprint service, why should I even have to add them to Accounts and Sync and turn off everything but email? Shouldn't adding them to the email app be good enough?

Wizard

Email doesn't update

Yes, adding the account through the default mail app should be good enough.  There's been a lot of talk over the past year or so with issues between Yahoo and Android phones in regards to the mail services.  Most people are able to use their Yahoo accounts with no issues while others have had problems with mail not syncing regularly or at all - even if they were working fine before. 

My personal experience on my phone is that it seems to work ok with the default mail application just fine, but I cannot add the account through the 'accounts and sync' method mentioned above.  Even though it was syncing ok through the stock mail app, I still downloaded the Yahoo mail application from the Android market as I like the interface and notifications better than what you get with the stock app.  If I were in your shoes, I would give the Yahoo app a chance and see if will be an acceptable workaround.

Journeyman

Email doesn't update

As I said, the only account that works properly is a Yahoo account. 2 Gmail accounts however do not update properly. Presumably the Yahoo app would not fix the Gmail accounts

Wizard

Email doesn't update

My apologies, I read right over the fact that you said;

2 gmail and 2 yahoo. Only the "default" yahoo account updates properly

I assumed you meant that one of your yahoo accounts was not updating.   

I had a similar issue with my default Gmail account not syncing my contacts after a while - any new contacts I put in either my phone or Gmail failed to sync over to my phone.  I tried erasing a bunch of different apps, clearing data from manage applications etc before coming down to resetting my phone.  Once I did, I was able to get the account working properly again. 

Sorry again for the miss-read.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat