cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email won't refresh at times

Highlighted
Journeyman

Email won't refresh at times

I have two phones on my account and both have the same problem. I have 4 email accounts (Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, Roadrunner), and it happens with all of them. At times I will get email notifications just fine and I can check email manually and it works just fine. But other times, and as much as 50% of the time, I won't get new email notifications and when I go to check mail manually, it will just display "refreshing" at the bottom of the screen with a little circle arrow as if it is working and retrieving information.

It will just hang there and sometimes for as much as an hour or longer! When it happens, it happens to all email accounts. It's not a connection or signal problem because you can go over and surf the internet just fine, come back and it's still trying to refresh and load the email. It happens whether its 3G, 4G, or WiFi. I have gone in and ended all tasks and try manually refreshing the email and still the same thing. Much of the time, turning the phone completely off and restarting it will take care of the problem, but not 100% of the time. Other times....suddenly....it will just start working fine without doing anything! All accounts pop instantly when you hit refresh and new mail notifications work timely just like they should.

I have discussed the issue with Sprint and they had me make sure that everything was updated, still no difference. They act as if they never heard of the problem but yet it's happening on 2 different phones. They have nothing left to offer other than shrugging their shoulders. I use these phones in my business and I rely on them for email....which is why I tolerate paying almost $180 a month for them. I am constantly turning the phone(s) off and on again to try and retrieve email. Or I will get back in my office to find out someone sent me an important email 2 hours ago and I still can't get it on either one of my brand new phones!

Is anyone elase having this problem? I am at the end of my rope!

36 REPLIES 36
Highlighted
Master

I apologize that this is happening to your phones.  Are both phones the Samsung Epic 4G Touch?  There is a known issue with the Epic Touch:

Issue Title: Samsung Epic 4G Touch (SPH-D710) - Radio loses signal and requires power cycle
Posted Date: 9/27/2011

Action: Pending MR

This will be addressed with MR1.

Workaround:

A full power cycle of the device will resolve the issue and allow the device to begin functioning normally.

Maybe the phone loses signal and after that, the email application isn't aware that it has resumed and is incapable of refreshing again to get your email.  We intend to correct this with a software update very soon.  Until then is it possible you could try a different email app such as K-9 mail - just until the software update comes out.  It may have the ability to refresh as soon as the network resumes on the device automatically and help you to get your email in a more timely manner.

I am sorry this awesome phone has this problem.  I know it has to be frustrating.  It is a shame.  If you can just find a work-around until the data connectivity issue is fixed...

If it was happening to only one of the two phones then I would think it was a solitary device issue and to get to the store to have it checked out...but since it is happening to both phones, it is more likely that it is related to the known issue I mentioned earlier on all the Epic 4g Touch phones.

Thanks

-John

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks John, I will give K-9 a try..... as a last stitch effort before boxing up these to sources of irritation and taking them back to sprint and canceling the service. It's been over 30 days but my problems have been documented back within the 14 day return period. Besides, ain't a court in the country going to hold me to a contract when they hear what I've gone through. I've been complaining about this problem since the beginning and believe it or not you are the first one, out of many, that even offered a possible suggestion as to what is wrong. I've been to the highest tier in the troubleshooting department, so I've been told. And I've had to the Sprint repair center.....everyone acts like this is a totally unheard problem.

Yes, both phones are the GS2. I failed to mention that one of them has already been replaced. When ever you were prompted to enter a number, like for voice mail or trying to reach an extension on an automated phone system, the keystrokes were not being recognized. You could hear the momentary touch tones as you entered the numbers but it could never be recognized on the other end. This was only one of the phones that was doing it, Sprint replaced that one and that problem is gone. But this email problem is equally big as far as I am concerned. Turning the phone off and rebooting it is not an option for me. That was suggested by the troubleshooting department....preposterous....that's not a working product or service, certainly not one that merits 180 bucks a month.

I have wasted great effort and many hours on the phone. My time is not free, Sprinit needs to offer a valid fix or start discounting their service....what I have right now is NOT a smart phone....by no means! I am new Sprint customer and a very unhappy one at that. I chose Sprint over Verizon in spite of all the recommendations from colleagues. Now I am forced to eat crow....very expensive crow at that.

Thanks again for your response.

Larry

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was having the same problem before the update, and for a few days the update did fix the problem.

I'm sorry to report though the issue is still going on.  I can browse the internet super fast, but once I load the Email app the signal goes to sleep and won't transfer any data at all for any of my 3 email accounts.  This is incredibly frustrating.  I guess I can try a new client but this problem should really be addressed.  I was an iphone guy before this and email was never a problem.  Now I like this phone much better but these bugs need to be fixed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I actually didn't have this problem *until* the update.  (not only did it screw with my email refreshing (including K-9, Kaiten, Yahoo, Gmail), but it disabled my Voicemail-to-Text (that may have been the voicemail system update), and re-installed SprintID and made it my default.  So over this phone right now (and I used to be in love).  On the phone for the third time with Sprint support, who have no idea how to fix any of this....

Oh, and the other bane of my existence?  Can't listen to voicemail while bluetooth is connected (bluetooth, phone OR speaker).  Have to disable bluetooth, listen to VM, re-enable bluetooth, reconnect  device).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I suspect that this is an issue that many may not be aware of because at some point in time, if you do nothing, then it will finally refresh and load all email accounts. That time could be minutes or it could be hours, it's all over the map. Many times I am waiting for a particular email to be sent so I don't have the luxury of time to wait around for it to finally load some minutes or hours later. Right now most of the time I end up power cycling the phone....which by the way, only works about 70% of the time. Not to mention that it's a ridiculous workaround or fix...temporary or not.

robotaholic:

John, I have tried and I am currently using K-9 and it does it as well, when it happens, it happens to ALL mail accounts and ALL mail apps. I currently have all of the latest updates on both phones. The recommendation was to take it to the local store and have them check it....done that. The first thing they do is reboot it, then it's working fine and they say, "we don't find anything wrong with it!" Of course you don't, you just rebooted it!

I certainly hope this thread gets some more attention, this is NOT just a little irretating glitch, it's a major problem with a smartphone service. This is what we are paying big bucks for.... not just a device that makes calls, I had one of those at a fraction of the price. Sprint needs to get this resolved and/or start refunding/crediting back some money because this is not a working smartphone service.

Larry 

Highlighted
Journeyman

This problem is still unresolved....anyone else experiencing this?

Highlighted
Journeyman

It hasn't worked reliably from day one - it doesn't reliably receive IMAP mail or mark it as read.  Hold down the Home button then click on the "Task Manager" button that appears.  E-mail will show as running because it's stuck.  Kill it and it may work when it's launched again.

Highlighted

I have from time to time experienced a delay of a few minutes but nothing like you are describing.  I suspect its a cache problem but I'm not sure.  I would recommend going to XDA Developers website and asking about it there, they have some of the best problem solvers for this type of issue.  Good luck. Rick  http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1281

Highlighted
Journeyman

Bumping this up for recognition......

Still having this problem with both phones, all email accounts, even with K-9. Yesterday it would not refresh, down at the bottom of the screen it just showed the little spinning arrow and it said, 'refreshing'. I left it like that and it stayed like that all day....would not refresh. Rest of the phone works just fine...calls, texting, internet, etc.....all work fine but I can't get sprint to cough up my mail.

I rebooted it during the day one time and still the same thing....refreshing. I rebooted it again last night and it immediately loaded several emails from throughout the day in the different accounts, one was from 9:00 in the morning.

THERE HAS TO BE A ANSWER TO THIS!!!! I am paying 170 bucks a month for two phones that I can't get email on.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Highlighted
Wizard

I'm responding to you on the other thread. Just posting this as a FYI for other techs.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/412250#412250

Highlighted
Journeyman

Still no answers.....

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat