ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FL24 bricked my Epic 4G touch!

Journeyman

FL24 bricked my Epic 4G touch!

My Epic 4G touch wanted to do an update to FL24 on 2/21/13, so I let it.  Big mistake.  It seemed like it did the update but then I realized thru the course of the day I couldn't send or receive texts.  When I would go into messaging, it would pause and say "Unfortunately messaging has stopped".  Then Gmail did the same thing, and then surprisingly, contacts did the same thing.  Now I have essentially nothing.  So I did a sprint chat.  The want me to backup my contacts, but guess what since contacts have stopped, no go.  So after a long conversation I manually wrote down some of my recent contacts that I needed to save - for some reason Google hadn't been sync'ing my contacts for a while since Oct '12 and I was unaware of that but since everything how now stopped I can't automatically sync.

Then we did a factory reset - power + vol down.  Another big mistake.  Opening home screen comes up and it looks like it's working.  Messaging is working.  Then a little black window pops up and says Android udate completed successfully and it does not reboot, so I think that's good.  I have no contacts so I enter my google ID an tell it to set up my profile - next thing is a message "unfortunately contacts has stopped."  I reboot the phone, white screen, yellow 4G, stuck.  Can't even make an emergency call on it.

So now I take it to the local sprint store.  The lady removes the battery for 5 minutes and puts it back in and does another factory reset.  Ultimately the same problem and she blames the battery. I told her the problem was not and never has been the battery.  Then she tells me that it's not Sprint's problem, that it was Samsung that publishes the updates.  So I chatted with Samsung, and they told me "updates are pushed OTA by Sprint and we cannot stop the update notifications."  So neither will take responsibility and I can't tell my phone not to update, altough I can cancel the update every few hours   THEN she tells me that it needs to be serviced by a service center - that even though they are a "sprint store" they cannot service the hardware and I have to take it to the nearest one which is over an hour away.

So I took it 65 miles to the nearest "service" center.  They took the battery out, factory reset it, and told me the problem must be the battery   They could not fix the issue and charged me $50 at which time I had to leave the phone with them and they are supposed to mail me another one - a refurb!  I bought this one NEW!  I did not carry the insurance - wasn't aware I needed insurance to protect myself from an update pushed by my carrier.  This phone is completely stock, I don't even know how to root it or whatever lol.

Samsung and Sprint simply blame each other, I have the chat trasnscripts to prove it.  My post is just to caution anyone with this phone - although if you're seeing this now you've probably already discovered the problem.  I'm sure it doesn't happen to all of them, but man when it does happen what you have left is a paperweight that can't even make an emergency call.  Just be aware.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: FL24 bricked my Epic 4G touch!

bh3082-

Eeek! I'm so sorry to hear about your device failing post-update! I can completely understand how frustrating and inconvenient this experience has been for you!

When it comes to warranty work, you have two different options. You can go through Samsungs warranty program (as long as you're within your 12 month warranty), and they're able to repair/replace your device at no cost, as long as your device is a free of physical damage.

Your second option is using a Sprint Service and Repair Center. Keep in mind that if you're subscribed to Total Equipment Protection, there wouldn't be a $50.00 charge for warranty work. I find TEP to be incredibly valuable, especially for Smartphones as it covers more than just warranty work. Was there a specific reason why you had opted out of TEP in the beginning?

Thank you so much for posting your experience! We really appreciate your feedback!

Regards,

William

Sprint Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

William I am not trying to be a jerk here but I think your question to me regarding why I didn't do TEP is deflecting from the original point of my post. For starters, the $50 I paid to get the work done is far less than what I would have paid in monthly fees since I've had the phone. The phone is 18 months old and not in warranty.  Plus, with TEP most of the physical damage also carries a deductible, that when combined with the monthly fee doesn't make this service cost effective for me.

In my original post, I only mentioned that I had to pay the $50 to get another phone sent to me.  My real concern is that what *caused* the issue was an update that Sprint pushed to my phone that I did not ask for and that I could not just ignore with the constant reminders.  I should not have to buy into a warranty program in order to protect myself against issues that you, the carrier, caused.  Now we may also argue whether or not Sprint or Samsung caused it, I also addressed that above as it's clear nobody wants to claim that issue.  The bottom line is that phones should be fixed FREE OF CHARGE ALWAYS if they are rendered useless by updates that users cannot control.

Other users of this phone have complained about this very issue on other threads in this forum that I found today.  This is a technical issue that should be addressed technically, not deflected into one where it makes it look like the customer's fault for not carring your insurance.

Journeyman

I'm going through the same thing!! My messaging/contacts/gmail etc still works, but as SOON as I start to change settings, the phone forces itself off and bricks. I have to do a factory reset. I've done 3 FACTORY RESETS within the last day and a half. I am annoyed, I am upset, and I am TOTALLY dissatisfied. I know each carries their own part of the blame, but I bought this phone brand new (and paid a pretty penny for it) less than 6 months ago--I do not want a refurb, I want them to fix the phone I already have. I have an appointment at a store near me tonight. If they don't solve my problem, I will be putting in a complaint with Sprint to cancel my contract due to not receiving the services I pay nearly $90/month for. Having to set my phone to factory defaults daily? Talk about inefficient. Not happy with Sprint.

Journeyman

I recently did this update too and had rapid battery drain. Something that helped my phone that another person posted to me was the following:

"A fix that worked for me was to wipe the system cache partition, found in this thread: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/454374#454374

Here is the relevent part that I did:

To wipe the cache partition, I turned off the phone, did a battery pull, then started the phone back up while holding the power button and the "volume up" button at the same time until a little Android logo appeared on the screen, followed by a safe mode-type menu. I selected "Wipe cache partition" and the phone performed that action and rebooted itself. Short of having to re-enter a few passwords in various apps and having to re-add my home screen widgets, there were no negative consequences to doing the cache wipe.

Hope this helps you and others!"

As for your messaging and contacts try checking under Settings>Applications>All. Make sure Logs Provider and Talk are enabled. Mine were disabled for some reason and once I enabled them again my messaging and contacts went back to normal.

If your battery is still acting up, go to Settings>More>Mobile Networks>Connections optimizer and uncheck the box.

Once I enabled the two things noted above,wiped the cache partition, and disabled connections optimizer, my phone is back to how it was before the update.

I hope that one of these things is able to help you. I know how frustrated I was since last week when only my battery life was bad and not my entire phone. Good luck!

Journeyman

With all due respect, please read my original post.  My problem has nothing to do with battery drain, that I know of.  My phone was rendered completely *useless* to the point where I couldnt even make a call on it. It didn't even need to have a battery at that point.  That was last Friday, today is Thursday and I still haven't been sent a replacement.  But I think we need to keep the discussion on point here in order for Sprint to address it.  This is a serious problem that showing up on many of the threads. There might be a problem with battery drain also, but that isn't the problem I posted about here.  At least with battery drain your phone is still working enough you can make a call.  People are having their phones completely destroyed by this update to the point where they can't even be fixed at a service center.

Journeyman

If you'd like an even newer and more stable edition of Android and TouchWiz on your phone, I'd recommend that you download and install the FK23 build of Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. No root access or unlocked bootloader is required, just Google it. Only things you'll need to dowload are the drivers for your phone to a PC and the FK23 zip file and a program called Odin. After some dragging and dropping files and a very simple procedure, your phone will perform beautifully.

I've been running this build since December, and haven't once gone back to the Sprint-approved software on the E4GT.

Here's a little how-to webpage: http://mobilespie.com/33/install-jelly-bean-build-fk23-on-sprint-epic-4g-touch/

Journeyman

I have been going though the same thing aswell. I've called many time. I'll be uploading my video soon on youtube. sprint has been a nightmare. Never again will i be with this company.

Journeyman

Just to add insult to injury, I got a text message last week from Sprint that kindly offered me the option to enroll in the total equipment protection program during the entire month of March.  My issue happened on Feb. 21, one week prior to this glorious offer, and after MOST everyone on here reported similar issues with the last update.  Never was that mentioned by any service people, either in chat or in both stores I visited. Not even from Sprint employee SuperWilliamD above who never once addressed the technical issue but instead wondered why on earth I didn't carry TEP.  Yeah Sprint people, I know what you're gonna respond if you do, *we didn't know it was coming* or *we knew it but we couldn't offer it early". Spare me.  This is probably my personal worst example of customer service I can EVER remember in my experience.  AND on top of that, my bill showed up this month after all this fiasco was over and I was charged an extra .67 cents for an add-on data plan prorated for the end of Feb while I had the problem and I have NO IDEA what that's about.  Yeah, OK, it's just .67 cents - I get it.  But why do you keep charging extra for all the problems YOU cause?  I had no overages, no changes to my plan.  Oh, that's right, the problems I had must have been features.

Journeyman

I just got back from the Sprint store, they refused to help with this unless I got TEP. When I talked to the first rep he told his manager "He's having a problem with his S2 also". The manager Sylvia told me that the update was optional and it wasnt their fault I CHOSE to do it. As if I shouldn't trust the QA of Sprint to verify if an OTA update will ruin my phone use. When I asked her to provide me a card with her name, she scribbled it on the card, I want to believe she has writing that bad but feel she was just trying to keep me from reporting my experience, I wrote it myself and she told me I didn't need to do that because she had already written it. In may particular case I can't use 3g or 4g, when I do after about 4-5 minutes the screen will flicker, the network connectivity will show no connection/no bars, I will get a pop up saying my phone's battery is low and the phone will shut off. When it turns back on it still says I have a low battery and it turns back off. I have to wait 5 minutes before I can power back on and it will work again showing 80-90% battery available. If I do not use my 3g or 4g all day my phone works fine, but I'm not paying data I'm not using. After 10 years of Sprint service I think its time to review my options with another carrier. AT&T had the same issue with the S2 (4.0.4 update) and dealt with it on my friends phone immediately.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat