cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

Journeyman

Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

Thank you for explaining your situation in such a clear and thoughtful way. I experienced much of what you have gone through and I can't believe so much of my time has been consumed with simply trying to find anwers to some basic phone functionality issues. Almost all of my personalization has been removed from my phone. I spent nearly 5 hours when I first got the phone setting up my contacts to be manually linked to facebook pictures; now all of that work has been wasted and I can't see any contact pictures accept for blurred and oversized images from google.

I'm frustrated that Sprint didn't send me an email warning that this update would happen. I only found out through the experience of my phone shutting down while I was at work and then couldn't access my sensitive phone materials. Also, I now have only 1 bar for reception with my phone. What happened here? I'm at the same location for many years with all bars with every phone I've ever had. Then yesterday's update happened and I've gone 24 hours with 1 wimpy little bar. C'mon!

Journeyman

Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

If you choose to not go to work because you don't like the keyboard on your phone you're nuts. Your bosses probably think so to.

Journeyman

I was thinking the same thing, even though he might actually be the boss I don't see what he's complaing so loudly about.  I've has issues with the ICS update also but sh*t happens.  I've had wasted MUCH more time of my life in waiting rooms at doctors offices because they triple booked their appointments in an effort to cram in as many as they can. 

Maybe I should sue my doctor

Journeyman

Thank you for your response and the time that you put into it.  I would like to address your main points, completely in the spirit of open dialogue with the end goal of improving the mobile computing experience for all users. I do not wish to offend, so please take no offense at my responses.  I will try to be detailed in my responses, but please forgive any lack of clarity, as I am still recovering from 2 days lost productivity due to the botched ICS update and I pen the following as time allows.  Please see my responses below in bold/italics.

12. Jul 18, 2012 12:27 PM (in response to mlbp)

I've yet to receive the update but it sounds like your actual issues were very minor.  I'm sure you could have just gone on with your day rather than taking so much time out of it sitting at the sprint store as well as writing this post in the Sprint COMMUNITY forums. 

You are not qualified to judge the impact of the ICS update's bugs on my business processes and productivity.  Additionally, you are not qualified to judge to what degree I rely on which capabilities of my device for "going on with my day."  The issues may be "very minor" for some users.  Your opinion fails to honor each user's reasonable expectation that firmware and software upgrades will not interfere with THEIR use of THEIR device in THEIR personal or professional activities.  The salient point here is that the bugs in question rendered MY device nonfunctional for MY uses and I judged that the best use of MY time was to get these problems resolved in a manner that returned MY device to a state of usefulness for MY needs. 

Since you depend so heavily on your mobile device you should absolutely be backing it up, regardless of whether or not you are receiving an update. 

I do back up my device.  I have been backing up and restoring computing devices for more than three decades.  The productivity impairments had nothing to do with my backups.  My Swype was no longer functioning, nor was it apparently present on the phone following the update.  My browser's type size was too small to be readable or useful.  My bookmark folder structure was deleted in the middle of a workday.  Restoration of my device from backup is NOT an option when I am working on a client's dime at their workplace.

So you had to resort to the built in keyboard like a majority of mobile device users, I doubt your one of the users that actually types 50wpm using Swype. 

You have no knowledge of my typing speed with or without Swype.  Again, it is irrelevent what input keyboard is used by a majority of mobile device users.  It is only relevant which input keyboard I choose to use and whether or not an OTA system update impaired MY use of MY chosen input method.  One of the supposed benefits of the Android platform is the tremendous variety of app choices that users have access to, and the personalization of the mobile computing experience possible because of that variety of app choices.  When a system update impairs the function of apps, it effectively restricts the variety of app choices available to users.  The parties responsible for these app impairments effectively degrade a key benefit of the Android platform.  The entire Android community is injured by such irresponsible practices.

I have a hard time believing the text was UNREADABLE, if I am wrong when I receive the update I will gladly recant my contradiction.

I am a bit offended that you question the truth of my report that on MY device MY browser's text was completely unreadable following the ICS update.  To my knowledge, I have given no reason that anyone should question my integrity or the veracity of my reported results/issues.  Should you require further assurance of my report you may speak with the Sprint technician that I referred to in my original post.  Additionally, judging from the varying reports of ICS update bugs found on the web, whether or not you experience any or all of the issues/bugs that I experienced, when YOU perform the update on YOUR device, is likely a purely statistical question.  I have no interest in the possibility of a recant on your part. 

How are hundreds of bookmarks actually useful, even if they are organized into folders?

Again, you are unqualified to judge what is useful to ME on MY device in MY personal and professional use of the device.  To provide the functionality of bookmarks and bookmark folders and, then, to deny the utility of the same is illogical, irrespective of the absolute number of bookmarks that an individual user may choose to organize on their device.  The utility of large numbers of bookmarks is directly dependent on the availability of a hierarchical organization tool.  As I stated in my original post, staring at a single listing of numerous bookmarks is the definition of "useless".  Staring at a well organized folder structure of numerous bookmarks is quite useful to some users.  See the points above regarding the supposed strength of the Android platform as it relates to INDIVIDUAL users customizing THEIR device in ways that are UNIQUELY useful to THEM.

Forgive me for not reading beyond your actual issues into your legal suggestions; I too have to be productive although I felt compelled to respond. I’m sure an End User License Agreement (EULA) completely disqualifies any of your claims. You voluntarily accepted this update.

This I will leave mostly to the legal professionals to weigh in on.  My only response must come from my professional experience in the regulated medical industries in which I have worked for 3 decades.  EULA's aside, vendors have an implicit responsibility to safeguard their consumers from harm caused by their products or services.  In most cases, actual consumer damages will trump the legaleze contained in most any EULA.  A few minutes at your browser will reveal that a great many consumers have suffered real damages, costs, productivity losses and emotional distress and suffering (again, I am not attempting to editorialize here) as a consequence of the botched ICS update.  Thus, it follows that product liability legal professionals may find fertile ground to plow here.

Had your phone actually been issued to you by an enterprise corporation your IT department would have assumed this responsibility for you and implemented policies to prevent your phone from receiving the update until they had properly tested compatibility with all approved applications. This would have been achieved using a pilot deployment to a small user base.

I, like MANY Android users, do not work for an enterprise corporation.  I am self-employed and am usually my own IT department.  Unfortunately, when acting in that capacity, I am not chargeable to my clients (my own ethics at play here) and I incur real lost wages.  To place the burden of system update safety/reliability testing on individual users, or enterprise corporation IT departments is irresponsible, unethical and constitutes a real monetary cost-shift to the consumer. 

Again, in my experience in the medical industries, the vendor is TOTALLY responsible for ALL safety testing of products and services.  We, as a society, deem it unethical to release faulty and inadequately tested drugs and medical devices to the public.  We also deem it an unacceptable safety testing practice for corporations to rely, even partially, on reports of consumer injuries, illnesses or deaths that result from use of faulty products or services.  These are not the only industries bound by this responsibility.  Over the noon hour, I listened to a news report of two major auto-makers initiating massive recalls of two popular SUVs for sticking accelerator issues that have already caused injuries and at least one death.  Consumers of medicines, medical devices and automobiles are rightly outraged when shoddy products or services cause injuries, deaths and monetary losses.  Mobile computing consumers have the same rights and responsibilities to demand the same accountability of mobile computing vendors.

Swype is a third-party application and they are the ones responsible for compatibility on a new OS, not Google, Samsung and certainly not Sprint.

Possibly, you are correct in a legalistic sense.  I will, however, assert that a major problem and impairment for the mobile computing community is the culture of "blame game" that is promelgated and tolerated in this industry.  You have simply added a fourth entity to the chain of "responsible" parties that "respond" to consumers by pointing the finger away from themselves and towards one or more other parties.  Anyone that has sought support for similar problems from their mobile service provider, device manufacturer, Google and/or app vendor knows full well the stress and cost of being endlessly referred and transferred to "other" parties for resolution of issues and bugs.  Again, I draw analogies to other industries.  When a drug, medical device or automobile fails and causes injury or loss, these industries are NOT allowed to refer the injured party to their material or sub-component suppliers and then have these refer the injured party to yet other "responsible" parties.  Again, mobile computing consumers have a right and responsibility to expect and demand no less from this industry.

Regarding Swype as a responsible party in this ICS release, I was unable to obtain any support from Swype during the first 24 hours or so of my attempts to resolve the Swype issue.  It took Swype more than 6 hours to "activate" an account for me that was required to download beta Swype- not the solution I was entitled to (recovery of the NATIVE Swype which, in contrast to beta Swype, is supported by Swype and, presumably, by Sprint and Samsung, as they chose to put Swype on this device as a NATIVE app).

Stephanie, your words are not deserving of anyone’s eyes.

Please be civil and polite.  Would you want your mother or father to read that sentence?

Yes, the actually update is obtained from Sprint and there are certain applications added and settings modified for Sprint but these have nothing to do with application compatibility. They do not actually “Push” anything. An agent on the phone does periodically check for updates from Sprint and if one is detected it will download the package but the user is not required to apply it, this is not considered a “Push”.

The above stikes me as esoteric IT guru detail.  I, like the vast majority of mobile computing users, am not, and do not care to be an IT guru (absolutely no offence to IT gurus, you make our world hum).  What I do want to be is a satisfied mobile computing consumer.  As far as I am concerned, I pay large $ to ONE entity, Sprint, every month to service my mobile computing needs.  I believe that this relationship gives me the right to demand that Sprint, and Sprint ALONE, vet and test any and all system updates to my Sprint device and/or service.  Likewise, I expect Sprint, and Sprint ALONE, to assume full responsibility for any failure of the same and all loss or injury caused to me by the same. 

These expectations are consistent with vendor/consumer relationships and obligations enforced in other industries in our society.  Think of cable and game system providers.  We pay these businesses, on a monthly basis, to pipe television, multimedia, gaming and internet experiences into our homes.  These businesses regularly update their firmware by OTA releases.  I am pleased to report that in 10+ years of cable subscriptions and 5+ years of game system subscriptions my family has NEVER experienced even a SINGLE disruption to television, gaming or internet services as a result of OTA firmware updates.  Likewise, we have NEVER experienced ANY device functionality failures resulting from OTA firmware updates. 

By contrast, in just seven months of subscribing to Sprint/Samsung/Google Android services my business activities and income were suspended for 16 CHARGEABLE hours directly as a result of a faulty and inadequately tested OTA firmware update.  By web posts and other customers' stories in just one Sprint store it is clear that others have suffered similar losses and injuries in the flawed ICS update.  By further contrast, in my preceding FIVE YEARS of mobile computing using a Sprint/Windows-Mobile platform I NEVER experienced a single hour of lost income from a faulty OTA firmware update.  The math is clear: 16 CHARGEABLE hours lost in 7 months Sprint/Android service subscription, which averages to just over 2 CHARGEABLE hours lost per month of Sprint/Android subscription.  By contrast, my Sprint/Windows-Mobile subscription cost me ZERO lost chargeable hours over FIVE YEARS or SIXTY MONTHS.  In my experience, the Sprint/Samsung/Google Android service is unreliable and injurious by any intelligent standard.

Finally, I have given this discussion a great deal of my time because I am passionate about the exceptional potential of mobile computing technology.  I believe that no other revolution (cultural, technological or governmental) has impacted civilization to the degree that mobile computing will.  I am equally passionate about consumer rights and the primacy of individuals' rights. 

Today, I see an infant industry and an infant consumer community.  I also see potentially debillitating growing pains in both.  I believe that the mobile computing industry is not taking adequate responsibility for the functionality and safety testing of their products and services.  Nor do I believe that the mobile computing industry is taking adequate responsibility for harm, costs and damages caused by their flawed products and services.  I do believe that the mobile computing community is too complacent and has accepted an inappropriate role as beta testers in too many flawed product releases.  I further believe that the mobile computing community has accepted as inevitable a helpless victimization at the hands of vendors when flawed products and services are released to the market and consumer costs and injuries are "taken in stride" as necessary evils for having access to mobile computing technology.

All the above stikes me as completely analogous to the early "wild west" days in many other industries.  In my original post I gave my soapbox mini-lecture on the history of abuses and regulation in the food and medical industries.  You can also look to many other industries for similar timelines of early abuses, excesses, victimizations, hidden cost shifts and subsequent growth of regulatory oversight designed to prevent and minimize the same. 

History has shown, time and again, that vendors given free reign will predictably introduce faulty or unscrupulous products and services that ultimately impair development of an industry's full market and societal potential.  Likewise, history has shown that it is usually the indignant outcry of injured consumers that leads to one or more rounds of regulatory oversight that, ultimately, through dramatically increased consumer confidence, leads to realization of an industry's full market potential.  Perpetual access to this full market potential is maintained, in part, through ongoing regulatory oversight that identifies faulty and harmful products (hopefully sooner rather than later), oversees the correction of product faults and/or removes faulty products from the market (see my note above about today's recall of two popular SUVs for faulty accelerators).  Likewise, history has shown the reform value of regulatory fines and product liability lawsuits that get the attention of large multi-national corporations that have injured consumers.

In summary, I will give up the soap box after restating my main points regarding the flawed ICS Sprint update and the larger industry and community issues that the update raises:

1. The Sprint ICS update on the Samsung Galaxy S2/Epic 4G was/is clearly flawed and has injured many of Sprint's customers.
  2. Because Sprint customers pay Sprint monthly fees to provide mobile computing services, customers have the right and responsibility to hold Sprint SOLELY responsible and liable for any and all injuries resulting from any and all flawed product or service updates.
  3. Sprint has NOT shown that it takes FULL responsibility for the functionality and safety testing of firmware updates to its customers.  Consequently, Sprint has shifted some of the costs of this testing to some of its customers.
  4. Having injured some of its customers, Sprint has NOT provided uniform, timely or acceptable fixes to the flawed ICS update.  I was repeatedly referred by Sprint representatives to Google and/or Samsung for "solutions" to the ICS update issues.  I was repeatedly told by several Sprint representatives that the ONLY solution available to me was a factory default reset of the phone.  Other users were told the same.  In my case, this was untrue and unneccesary and would have cost me additional time and lost income.  I eventually obtained fixes only through persistence (read that many hours of non-chargeable time and significant lost income), researching other user's fixes and, ultimately, identifying and accessing a real, live Sprint technician that cared to do real trouble-shooting with me face-to-face.  The final insight and step that accomplished the fix was provided by me (the final hard shutdown and restart- see my original post).
  5. The Android consumer community has trapped itself in a victim's role as regards faulty and injurious product and service launches.  Android consumers seem to find it acceptable to suffer lost productivity and income and real emotional stress as a necessary consequence of using the Android platform.
  6. No real reform of the mobile computing industry will occur until consumers demand the same rights, protections and regulatory oversight that they demand from other industries.
  7. Contrary to much of today's political fear-mongering, regulation does NOT stifle innovation.  Rather, in correct doses, history has shown time and again that regulation SPURS innovation by building a confident consumer base that can reliably trust that new products and services will not cause them injury or lost income.
  8. Enlightened leaders of the mobile computing industry will know history and avoid its repetition.  They will correct and eliminate industry abuses and will assume FULL responsibility for the safety and effectiveness of all their products.  Through their enlightened leadership, they will minimize the intrusion of regulatory overseers and will grow a confident and trusting consumer base through their enlightened, ethical business practices.  Unenlightened leaders will drag the mobile computing community through the same pain and lost income suffered by other industries as they grapple with "wild west" versus regulated, fair and ethical business practices.
  9. Items 6 through 8 are not an idealist's pipe dream.  They are the REAL histories of numerous mature and innovation-rich industries that have enriched the human experience for decades before and since "mobile" and "computing" were first used in the same sentence.
  10. Industry leaders that provide reliable and robust mobile computing platforms and services will ultimately prevail in the marketplace.  I and my business partner have committed to completing, in the coming months, a reevaluation of the Windows-Mobile, iPhone and Android platforms for our mobile computing needs.  The lost revenues of the last 48 hours incline us to give platform and service reliability a much higher priority, and flexibility and personalization much lower priorities than we did 7 months ago.  I suspect we are not alone in our analysis.
Journeyman

If Swype was the only issue, and it didn't take a user, with the help o of a Tech to resolve it, not that would be bad enough.

There are far worse issue I assume you will soon discover, not the least of which is 1.) pitiful or non-existent reception,

2.) battery life 4-5 hours

3.) intermittent offline/off network operation

4.) SMS failures

5.) Repeated SMS message both sent and received

6.) Push email fails (Microsoft Hotmail app + Seven ) goes offline

And others.

I too "upgraded" from Windows Mobile (Motorola Q9) 2 years ago, after Sprint essentially stopped selling Windows Mobile phones. I too am in the Medical business, and I too am in App Developoment.

I had the original Epic for less than a year. It had numerous bugs and incompatibilities. After months and months of working with "Tier 3" to helpo them to fix their software, with only the monimal fixes being supplied, I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to the SII which I was told by both Sprint and Samsung would NOT have the issues that the Epic had. It was the "flagship" and would get great support. I took the plunge on the day of release, forfeiting another line upgrade for my caniballistic needs, and paid the upgrade fees.

It had not proven to be any different. Since September, I have repeatedly reported issues and pleaded fo information about when the corrections would be made. I was finally told 2 weeks ago when I threatened Sprint to pull all my lines that ICS would fix my issues. I contacted Samsung, detailed my issues and asked if they all would be addressed. I was assured, yes, every one of them.

False.

The biggest issue I have with the phone is that reception, i.e., the primary function of the "smart" phone, phone, has gone from poor to almost non-existent. I live in the "boondocks", you might guess, 9 miles from Tampa International Airport!!!! And although one of my children who gave up on Sprint has a Verizon phone with 4-5 bars in the house, Sprint has almost no service in my neighborhood which has a highway that runs right through the middle of it. I could occasionally get a signal when out doors. Indoors required me to get an Airave.

As of this update,

1.) I no longer have any signal in my neighborhood

2.) Unless I am within about 20 feet of the Airave, I drop to 1 bar. (which eats battery)

3.) Even when 3-5 feet from the Airave, the phone goes offline, with no bars for no apparent reason, numerous times per day, and I get no calls or SMS.

TO add insult to injury, I've been in the process of sending and receiving SMS and they fail, for no reason (other than the phone goes to no bars momentarily) but I do not resend, rather just leave the error. I have had people tell me I resent the failed message 15-20 times, and I get messages repeated from senders as well.

I did find that unless I configure Swype to automatically capitalize, "I" when keyed in the middle of a sentence was no longer capitalized. And yes, I too am not at all happy with having lost my Swype dictionary. I too am in the Medical business and lost my very large medical dictionary that took me 9 months to develop.

My main Issues in Gingerbread:

Unresolved: Stock Email Client does not support HTML, rather it is Text only. My NexTel phone from 12 years ago was just as "smart". (this is a "smart phone")

Cannot set third party app as default calendar in calendar (Microsoft + Seven) (this is a "smart phone" ?)

Cannot hear some Voice Mail messages, the volume is too low. (this is a "Smart phone")

GPS is inaccessible, or is/was off by miles. This likely is also related to the reception issues. I cannot say if the second part of this is still the case, because it wasn't able to connect to GPS enough for me to even test it.

I went to the Sprint Store to downgrade, but as of this time, they do not know how to do it. I give them 7 days to resolve this, after which they stop billing me for a phone that does not work due to an update I can't undo, and they loan me another phone.

Journeyman

You are reporting the exact same problems I am having. As of two days ago I no longer have more than one reception bar no matter where I go (I used to always have 100%) in the city I live in -- which is a big metropolitan city...

My 4g won't connect. I keep getting repeat SMS notices. Worst thing for me is that my battery is not lasting more that 4 hours as of today. The android OS says it's using 60% of the battery. I've searched across forums for answers to these questions and I can't get any clues on what to do about my problems; although I was able to fix my swype issue yesterday based on some great feedback from other community members.

I'll try the sprint store next but I'm unbelievably frustrated by all of this and the time totally WASTED trying to get my phone back to the way it was on Monday. Ugh.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you for saying exactly what I would love to have been able to express, here's to hoping they take you up on your consultation offer. I have been at a complete loss since the update. As a former iPhone user, I can plainly see the travesty in this system and would appreciate express acknowledgement from Sprint, Samsung and especially Google (greedy buggers). I both value and abhor technology. I value when it works well and detest that my life comes to a screeching halt when it doesn't. It's simply crippling! I will be following your suggested fix to resolve our shared issues (Swype, browser and all the undesirable apps suddenly back on my phone), but mine also extend to email notifications with multiple account setups, text failures, and media roaming in my own living room while on WiFi.

And, though it's tempting to express my distain for the multitude of preceding plebian comments, I'll stick to the Thumperian principle.

Many thanks!

Journeyman

You should send the bill to whoever hit OK in answer to the update message.  Oh right, that would be you.  If the update had happened without you approving it, you might have a valid complaint, but nobody forced you to do the update, and maybe you should have done some reading about it on the internet before clicking on Ok.  If your phone is that important to your job, then doing an update in the morning before work is not a very smart idea, and is your own fault.  In addition, since you seem to be an intelligent, if misguided persion, whose phone is obviously very important to their business, you should not need to be told to backup your data and apps before doing an update of the operating system.  It looks like all of your lost time and wages could have been completely avoided, if you had just not clicked on OK.  And after seeing all of yours posts (in all of the different threads) on here about this, it looks like you lost more time by complaining about something that you caused yourself, than you lost due to the problems the update caused you.

I have been working in the computer industry for over 20 years, and software updates almost always have bugs associated with them.  No update can be tested against every possible phone configuration and combination of installed applications that people have.  I haven't had any of the problems you did (I am sure it is because I use different apps than you do, or have different settings than you do), so if it was tested on my phone, there would not have been any problems.  I have also seen plenty of firmware updates to other devices that have cause all kinds of problems, including games systmes (PS3), media players, etc.  As for cable providers, they have much more control over the devices they are updating, and don't have to worry about anybody loading other applications on them.  This makes it much easier to test updates and eliminate most bugs ahead of time.  But I have still seen problems with their updates too, just not as frequently. 

The medical, pharmaceutical, and food industries are regulated because people could be hurt or killed if they weren't.  I have yet to see anybody die because their Swype keyboard didn't work right, or their favorites are no longer split into separate folders.  This is a ridiculous comparison and is not relevant.

Journeyman

Thanks for spending so much time to work up these useful instructions.

Now, if only you'd remove all the self-entitled nerdrage you might actually get people to listen.

Journeyman

Let me first say that I just got ics 4.0.4 on 7/16/12. My issue is not with the upgrade but with the Media transfer protocol or (MTP). you get this when you plug your phone into your computer via usb in stead of mass storage. I  had accidentally deleted some pictures and video's, of my kids and really want them back but every time I try and use any of my recovery software on my computer, it well not detect my phone anymore because it in (MTP). So my question is, is there anyway to get mass storage back and get rid of this MTP or just add mass storage as a 3rd pick for when you are connecting to your computer?

Journeyman

My Swype keyboard no longer works (it says something along the lines of "Open to EnglishUS failed!") AND, to make matters worse, not only did I literally watch my battery go from 99% to 64% in a blink of an eye, but my school email account that is connected to my phone is no longer working. All I'm seeing are long, horizontal gray boxes and I can no longer access my email. I am beyond pissed.

Journeyman

Well this is what I did and It worked I went to play store and down loaded ICS keyboard app (Free) the installed and rebooted then I got keyboard function back The I went to Swpe web page and follow the instructions and installed the Swype beta version and it works very well now/ I like you was very frustrated and ****** off I stumbled on to this work around while I was waiting for them to send me a new phone since the update screwed it up.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat