cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

Journeyman

Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

To all interested participants,

I posted to several Sprint discussion threads invitations for people to read and/or participate in the thread listed above (94318).  To date, I have been informed by Sprint that these invitations have been "rejected" by moderators of two threads  (see below).  No reason for these rejections has been given. 

TO ALL INTERESTED IN RESPONDING TO THIS POST, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE THE LINK BELOW BECAUSE SPRINT HAS REJECTED/DELETED THE ASSOCIATED THREAD, WITHOUT STATING WHY (SEE A COPY OF THE EMAIL RECIEVED, IMMEDIATELY BELOW).

If you are concerned about these rejections, and possible attempts by Sprint to suppress this thread, please contact Sprint with your concerns. Use the link to this thread to post your concerns: //http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/452349#452349

TO ALL INTERESTED IN RESPONDING TO THIS POST, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE THE LINK BELOW BECAUSE SPRINT HAS REJECTED/DELETED THE ASSOCIATED THREAD, WITHOUT STATING WHY (SEE A COPY OF THE EMAIL RECIEVED, IMMEDIATELY BELOW).

Shop | My Sprint | Digital Lounge | Support | Community

Hello,

You have received this email because the content you posted below has been rejected by our moderators:

'RE: possible suppression by Sprint moderators of community.sprint.com discussion thread 94318 (Jul 18, 2012 3:50 AM, Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2),'

--------------------------------------------------

Posted: Jul 23, 2012 3:19 PM

Helpful Community Links

Sprint Forums

Groups

Ratings & Reviews

Sprint Blogs

Please feel free to use the text below in your responses, and/or add your own. 

Also, please feel free to invite your friends, family, colleagues, etc. to view and participate in the original thread (94318): 

http://http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/94318?start=0&tstart=0

Thank you much for your interest in this discussion and for defending free and open access to the same.

RE: possible suppression of community.sprint.com discussion thread 94318 by Sprint moderators

Sprint Communications administrators, as of 23Jul12 two Sprint moderators have twice rejected invitations (see copies of email notices below) to the Sprint community to participate in discussion thread 94318:

Jul 18, 2012 3:50 AM

Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

THESE REJECTIONS SUPPRESS FREE AND FULL PARTICIPATION IN THIS THREAD AND DO A SERIOUS DISSERVICE TO YOUR CUSTOMERS.  Further, SUCH SUPPRESSIVE ACTS SERIOUSLY COMPROMISE SPRINT'S RELATIONSHIP AND STANDING WITH IT'S CUSTOMER COMMUNITY, AND THE LARGER MOBILE COMPUTING USER COMMUNITY AND INDUSTRY. 

PLEASE HAVE THE THE TWO MODERATORS THAT REJECTED INVITATIONS TO JOIN DISCUSSION THREAD 94318 (SEE BELOW) IMMEDIATELY POST THE INVITATIONS TO JOIN THIS THREAD.

ALSO, PLEASE ENSURE THAT ALL SPRINT COMMUNITY DISCUSSION MODERATORS HONOR ALL INVITATIONS TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS DISCUSSION AND, FURTHER, REFRAIN FROM ANY AND ALL SUPPRESSION OF PARTICIPATION IN DISCUSSION THREAD 94318. 

Thank you.

Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

You have received this email because the content you posted below has been rejected by our moderators:

'Re: Charging paused. Voltage too high.'

To all struggling with or interested in the ICS update to the Samsung Epic 4G Galaxy S2: Please consider reviewing the link below and adding your thoughts on the larger mobile computing/Android industry implications raised by the flawed ICS update. Thank you.

Posted: Jul 19, 2012 11:11 AM

Helpful Community Links

Sprint Forums

Groups

Ratings & Reviews

Sprint Blogs

Hello,

'Re: ICS UPDATE'

To all struggling with or interested in the ICS update to the Samsung Epic 4G Galaxy S2: Please consider reviewing the link below and adding your thoughts on the larger mobile computing/Android industry implications raised by the flawed ICS update. Thank you.

Posted: Jul 19, 2012 11:06 AM

Helpful Community Links

Sprint Forums

Groups

Ratings & Reviews

Sprint Blogs

Journeyman

Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

Below are some examples of posts from other discussion threads that have referenced this thread

(94318:

Jul 18, 2012 3:50 AM, Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich )

Sprint®

Community

Community

AllenCommackNY http://community.sprint.com/baw/people/AllenCommackNY created the discussion

"Re: Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/452279#452279

--------------------------------------------------------------
My family has four Samsung Epic S2 cell phones.  All of us now have problems that we did not have previously. The basic ones are the same as the post from mrcminnesota. (mlbp bold/italics) (a) Battery drain, (b) trouble with WiFi despite a string signal in my home, even when in the same room, drops the connection and messages regarding the connection (reconnect) constantly popping up (every 30 to 60 seconds), (c) Swype no longer works (get an error message), (d) ongoing freezing of functions, not  limited to anything specific, (e) 3G messages regarding roaming.

I live in Commack, NY 11725 - somewhat near a highway where a connection should be strong for 3G.

We were all very happy with the 2.x version of Android - Gingerbread.  The phone was great.  Wish we had a choice not to upgrade or had a chance to rollback without doing a reset. Even then, the ICS version does not allow for permanently deciding NOT to install ICS.

Allen

Reply to this message by going to Sprint Community
http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/452279#452279

Start a new discussion in Samsung Epic 4G Touch at Sprint Community
http://community.sprint.com/baw/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container...

Sprint®

Community

Community

CAS818028 http://community.sprint.com/baw/people/CAS818028 created the discussion

"Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/452283#452283

> Gioia999 wrote:
>
> Most of these are good points, but there are still some simple things missing:
>
> 1. This is hardly the first time that software for *+this specific phone+* has been released by Sprint/Samsung/Google with no testing.  How in the world could this phone be sold without a working GPS?  Unless that just wasn't part of the testing, or they just didn't think people would care. 
>
> I am also in software development, and we have extensive testing procedures for all our mission critical software releases.  We would be, literally, out of business if we have Sprint/Samsung/Google's finger pointing and 'it's not our problem' attitude.  They should either fire everyone working in software quality control, or fire management who is possibly burying the quality reports and letting this moronic junk be released to paying customers on a regular basis.
>
> 2. People .. read these posts!  Do not whine about how you don't have the update!  You are LUCKY if you don't have the update.  It's obvious that this is a catastrophe, and if you get the update you will just be another victim of this incompetence.
>
> 3. And, just wow.  A major upgrade to the Android operating system goes out without testing.  Think about all that means.  They couldn't determine that battery life was going to be slashed because 'there are too many configurations out there'???  Really?  Really, Sprint?  Really Samsung and Google?  They couldn't be bothered tryhing to send a text, just to see if Swype was still working?  They couldn't be bothered to try going to a couple of webites, where they would have seen the reformatting bug?  What do you suppose they actually did test?  Maybe they placed a couple of calls and dusted off their lapels with 'well, that's done.'
>
> Multiple and repeated failures.  I still know not to try to use Google Maps without having several minutes to spare for the approximately 1/4 of the time that there will not be a sync.  I'm not going to be pressuring any tech support ref to help me put on a buggy OS update, and no one else should, either.

CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!!! (bold/italics by mlbp)

Reply to this message by going to Sprint Community
http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/452283#452283

Start a new discussion in Samsung Epic 4G Touch at Sprint Community
http://community.sprint.com/baw/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container...

Community

Helpful Community Links

Sprint Forums

Groups

Ratings & Reviews

Sprint Blogs

Community

Helpful Community Links

Sprint Forums

Groups

Ratings & Reviews

Sprint Blogs

Master

mlbp

The Sprint moderators enforce the community guidelines.

If you are posting comments in more than one area, disrespecting / baiting others (including moderators), flaming or trolling or posting off topic in a thread, those posts will be rejected. Continued posting in this manner is a bannable offense. Please review the guidelines for proper posting behavior.

mapesy

Message was edited by: mapesy

Journeyman

I upgraded to ICS.  Sure there are some quirk/issues/bugs that need to be resolved   , but for the most part, I made the choice to upgrade  , and I knew it was not perfect.

Nothing about the upgrade is causing me to lose sleep, nor productivity (I have a laptop for that), other than having to perform a factory reset after the upgrade.

Phone works. GPS works. SMS works. 4g works, Google Voice works.

I have only had this phone for 3 months, and it is still great!!  

Sprint Employee

Hello mlbp, I do contribute to this site in a professional capacity, and I feel that it surely goes without saying that my fitness test of the phone is not the complete testing battery that is performed with the release candidates. I can assure you that this update was thoroughly tested prior to being released, and you are not part of a beta testing group. As of now our last communication is that the software update is still being released, and with any update we are collecting information about problems that may have developed from the update. These reported problems are generally kept to problems that can be duplicated after a factory restore, and are more than just preferential changes.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

RC1024,

Thank you for your reply.  Please see my questions/comments to the same in bold/italics below.

52. Jul 23, 2012 5:38 PM (in response to mlbp)

Hello mlbp, I do contribute to this site in a professional capacity,

Your professionalism has not been questioned.  Rather, you were asked to clarify whether or not you are authorized by Sprint to respond, with Sprint's OFFICAL POSITIONS/REPONSES,  to Sprint policy and business practices questions.  Again, if your answer to this question is "yes", please email me official Sprint contacts so that I may verify your answer.

and I feel that it surely goes without saying that my fitness test of the phone is not the complete testing battery that is performed with the release candidates.

Again, results of your tests on a single phone are anecdotal and are of no help to the readers/participants of this thread in ascertaining to what extent Sprint tested the ICS update on relevant hardware/software configurations.  If Sprint did large-scale testing before launch of the update, then posting quantitative statistical summaries of bug/error rates against different hardware and software configurations is relevant and helpful.  Anecdotal results on one phone are not.

I can assure you that this update was thoroughly tested prior to being released, and you are not part of a beta testing group.

As I've stated before, evidence would suggest otherwise.

As of now our last communication is that the software update is still being released, and with any update we are collecting information about problems that may have developed from the update.

Is this Sprint's OFFICIAL response?  If so, thanks in advance, for communicating it.  I will continue to argue that it is unprofessional, inappropriate and unethical to use non-consenting, uninformed users for "information about problems that may have developed from the update."

These reported problems are generally kept to problems that can be duplicated after a factory restore, and are more than just preferential changes.

Many users are posting consistent reports of fundamental, basic functionality losses (significant decreases in battery life, significant losses of phone and 4G signal/service, loss of Native Swype functionality, loss of Native Swype personal dictionaries, loss of SMS text messaging, loss of Native Google browser functionality, etc.) resulting from ICS updates.  Such reports can, in no way, be interpreted or construed as "preferential changes."

Just a comment (and please don't bash me for this ). I "was" truly trying to buy into your original issue (when you first posted) but.........I believe you have gone over the edge. I have seen your postings in "all" of the discussions and quite honestly ignore them. They are extremely annoying. I believe that is what those moderators are trying to tell you by deleting.

This update may have had changes that you do not like or have caused issues but to go on with this rant is ridiculous. Not trying to stop your freedom of speech but just do it somewhere else. You "chose" to update/you can ignore updates (I have done it for months for a preinstalled app that was updated in the Play Store and I don't use/don't want it but I can't get rid of it - there is my rant end of story).

I am not a Sprint employee - I am just a customer for over 12 years and use the Sprint Community to be informed (and/or inform if the need arises).

Please get a life and get back to work (your employer would probably like to see you more productive ).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Like a few other posters here I do dev work for a living.  Testing in programming rarely ever matches a clinical trial model, especially with an upgrade as significant as this one.  The ICS upgrade was, in layman terms, more of a complete rewrite than an "upgrade."  This was because ICS was a combination of Gingerbread (2-3 years old) combined with Honeycomb and new changes just for ICS.  Many things were reworked at a driver/hardware level to increase performance - and the E4GT has benefited from this.  Sprint (at some level; how far down is unknown) and Samsung R&D both have had been testing ICS for approximately 4 months (From 2/17 to 6/18 based on build numbers).  To say that they thoroughly tested everything is hard to say; rumors are that they did select several people for testing groups and asked them to put it through the proverbial wringer.  But even your model of clinical trials often cannot catch everything - mainly due to sample size.  I support a user base of approximately 2,500 users and even with extensive testing we have found that while we can effort to catch most things a goal of 100% error free programming is unrealistic at best.

Now I have one major difference from you - my Epic 4G Touch comes from a MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) called KDDI Mobile.  Great rates but zero technical support - so at least if you have a problem you have someone to ask.  I had no choice but to learn more about Android and how to support my family's devices if we were going to upgrade to a smartphone.  No offense, OP, but a simple search even in the Sprint Communities threads could have shown that sites like XDA-developers had ICS leaks, including a copy of the now official FF18... and that many of the issues were known and discussed ad nauseum with one exception - Swype.  This one didn't appear to be known as prevalently as other issues and certainly was not disabled like it was in the official release in previous leaks.  You'll find that some of the more serious issues are still not addressed - and probably won't be as they don't apply to "stock" software.

Everything is not perfect and software will never be as we are only human (and humans do the development).  Working in a medical field I am sure that you can appreciate risk management; while you may have had a significant inconvenience I suspect the larger customer base has not.  Simply put I am certain that if it was that significant of an issue it would have been resolved.  There are also other factors that people may forget - such as the applications a person has installed.  Like any software installation this would have been done best as a "clean" install versus an upgrade; however, that option has not been brought to most phones yet.  (If you would like to know how to do this please PM and I can send you some information.)

Finally, I must second the option that was given to you - you were under no obligation to accept the update.  Blaming Sprint, Samsung, Google or anyone that happens to question you is childish and neglects the fact that you are the owner and end user for your phone.  Just because an update is available doesn't mean you should rush into it - do you do the same whenever a new iOS or Windows release is out?  I'm in my early 30s and learned over 15 years ago not to for one reason - bugs will always exist after a major upgrade.  Would you rush to the same in new medical technology or drug therapies?  Most would not until long term effects are better studied and known - LASIK is yet another example on that. 

In the end you're on ICS - lesson (hopefully) learned that you should consider getting an app such as Titanium Backup or other backup tools to ensure that the things you really need are backed up, just like on a PC.  And if you're really that unhappy about being on ICS please PM me and I can send you information on how to go back to GB.

Thank you for your time.

Journeyman

Gioia999 wrote:

Most of these are good points, but there are still some simple things missing:

1. This is hardly the first time that software for this specific phone has been released by Sprint/Samsung/Google with no testing.  How in the world could this phone be sold without a working GPS?  Unless that just wasn't part of the testing, or they just didn't think people would care. 

I am also in software development, and we have extensive testing procedures for all our mission critical software releases.  We would be, literally, out of business if we have Sprint/Samsung/Google's finger pointing and 'it's not our problem' attitude.  They should either fire everyone working in software quality control, or fire management who is possibly burying the quality reports and letting this moronic junk be released to paying customers on a regular basis.

2. People .. read these posts!  Do not whine about how you don't have the update!  You are LUCKY if you don't have the update.  It's obvious that this is a catastrophe, and if you get the update you will just be another victim of this incompetence.

3. And, just wow.  A major upgrade to the Android operating system goes out without testing.  Think about all that means.  They couldn't determine that battery life was going to be slashed because 'there are too many configurations out there'???  Really?  Really, Sprint?  Really Samsung and Google?  They couldn't be bothered tryhing to send a text, just to see if Swype was still working?  They couldn't be bothered to try going to a couple of webites, where they would have seen the reformatting bug?  What do you suppose they actually did test?  Maybe they placed a couple of calls and dusted off their lapels with 'well, that's done.'

Multiple and repeated failures.  I still know not to try to use Google Maps without having several minutes to spare for the approximately 1/4 of the time that there will not be a sync.  I'm not going to be pressuring any tech support ref to help me put on a buggy OS update, and no one else should, either.

I feel like you just took me to chruch with all that truth!!!  LOL AMEN

Journeyman

Pinch to zoom and reformat text will not work after the update.
After several hours speaking with Sprint Tech support two visits to the Sprint store and a facory reset to solve this issue I finally got my answer.It's no longer available as an option. Period. The feature was removed because it belongs to apple and Samsung was ordered by a judge to remove this capability.

Nice, huh? Sure wish tech support would have told me that from the beginning...

Journeyman

I just want to be able to crop the wallpapers like I did with 2.3.6. and have the the same battery life of gingerbread.

Journeyman

Have been using custom wallpapers and still allows me to set the size... but doesn't make much of a difference as it doesn't scroll.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat