cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

Journeyman

Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

Network Vision.  (Sprint is currently upgrading the network infrastructure here).

I hope Sprint mods don't hate me for linking this but here was the story in April:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-166-sprint-battling-network-vision-deployment-woes-in-the-w...

An update on the same site says that Sprint has since kicked into overdrive in the region to finish it up as soon as possible.

I can vouch that I've had issues but they do seem to be improving.

I asked a local store mgr if he heard when it will roll out - the last he had heard was November.  So GS3s here don't have the LTE option available.

We'll be sticking with our MVNO at least until then and decide whether we stay on Sprint's network or go elsewhere after that.
(I honestly want to give them a fair shake after seeing how much they're improving the area...)

It also has been rumored - but not proven - that NV may also explain why MMS stopped working as of late in the Windy City.

Other locations are not reporting these problems.

Journeyman

Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

I'm in Washington, DC and I haven't received the update yet. Still in Gingerbread 2.3.6 and judging by the research I have made so far, it seems that it might be a good idea to "skip" this update. Is there a way to decline the update? or is it going to happen no matter what?

Journeyman

The update is optional and you do not have to install it.  There are ways to suppress the message if you want on sites like XDA but I'm not sure if this will suppress future updates as well.

Journeyman

EpicLuis wrote:

I'm in Washington, DC and I haven't received the update yet. Still in Gingerbread 2.3.6 and judging by the research I have made so far, it seems that it might be a good idea to "skip" this update. Is there a way to decline the update? or is it going to happen no matter what?

You'd be nuts to skip this update, 99.99% of people have had no major issues with ICS (I updated manually and did a factory reset).

The Google Voice Typing feature alone makes this upgrade worth it.  It works so well I even tried to stump it by altering my voice and it always understands me.

Journeyman

Dude are you seriously retarded? Where are you pulling this 99.9% number from? Don't you think there is obvious reason quit pushing out this update? With hardly any research at all you can find countless reports of issues with this build

Just look at this forum look at xda! Hell do a Google search and the issues don't end. Get your facts straight before you encourage people .f'up  there phone! Go look at the thread I started and read the emails I got from sprint where they acknowledge the issues and are working with Samsung to get a fix!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't have any problems either. Learn how to use your phone and then you can solve your own problems. Physician heal thy self.

Sprint Employee

Hello Spitting Camel, people are looking into this, some things that may help are while not in use you may want to turn off WiFi, 4G, Bluetooth, and GPS. When done with an app, make sure the task has ended, while indoors try setting the backlight to a specific intensity, if using any pop/imap email accounts set them to manual/never for sync frequency, and consider installing/enabling Juice Defender. Please let me know how much of an improvement in battery life you notice.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

@Rc1024 geese rc the only option your missing in all of your wonderful suggestions is to just turn off the phone. I mean since we are disabling everything now just to preserve battery might as well just completely turn the phone off as well. Doesnt that sound like the silver bullet solution to fix everyones ICS woes?

RC1024 - Question, I heard Juice Defender may be draining the battery too? Just wondering (saw this in other forums). Yes, by turning off WiFi (I rarely use now), 4G, Bluetooth, GPS the battery improves (but....). I have also turned off syncing of my gmail as well as unchecking in Location services those check boxes. I even will turn off 3G if I want to save battery a little more (I wish ICS had the widget to also turn off 3G quicker - bummer that is gone)

I know the issue is being looked into - thanks

Sprint Employee

Hello mrcminnesota, I have not heard that about Juice defender, and I have it running seemingly fine under ICS on a tablet. I honestly have not run Juice defender for any length of time under ICS on a mobile phone. If running juice denfender you will not have to disable sync because it meters your meters your background data.

Sprint Employee

Hello CAS818028, I’m sorry that I didn’t mention this but these suggestions are primarily for troubleshooting, and temporary work around. Although since I began using Android, coming from a variety of different PDAs, I typically only have features enabled when I plan to use them, and adjust my email/device settings for optimal battery life.

Journeyman

Another bug on this load of Swype is that it doesn't capitalize I unless you set word suggestion on. I don't like their word suggestion as it often is wrong.

If you leave word suggestion off, it displays a I where you are inputting, but has a lower case i on the suggestion bar in the first position. If you continue, it prompts you to add lower  i to the dictionary.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat