cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

Journeyman

Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

I want to give one example of how Sprint and Samsung are incompetent in listening to customers.

One of the problems that came with ICS was a broken Swype that no longer capitilizes I when used in the middle of a sentence. In fact, perhaps even more insulting is the fact when you tap i, you are prompted each and every time to "add i to the dictionary" REALLY?

Now it is smart enough to have I capitialized, as your second choice, but not smart enough to know in English we capitalize I when used alone. (if you set AutoCorrection on, it works poroperly, but Swype AutoCorrection is very frustrating and I never use it) 

I had the experience of broken Swype before withn Samsung and Swype blamed it on Samsung for loading a beta version.

I reported this to Samsung, via chat, as soon as I got ICS. They walked me through a Soft Reset, a Factory Reset, Clearing Cache, etc. etc. and eventually told me to send the phone in for repair. I endured, but with little patience, I admit.  I ended the chat, went to the local store and verified that my phone was not unique.

I told the tech at the local store who told me he'd report it. Did he?

I came home and again chatted with Samsung, telling them I validated that it was ICS. They said I should call the "Special Support Line for Galaxy Customers." I did, and I had to go through the whole thing all over again. They said I should tap the "Shift Lock" before tapping I.  I said, NO!!!! it never worked that way before. Anyway, they said they'd report it to "whomever" which I presume was a "black hole,"

because with FH13 the problem remains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And oh yeah, So does the lack of HTML Email, and my EMail is no longer Push, except once in a while for no apparent reason, and I almosrt never have more than one bar of signal streength, and my calendar no longer synchs. 

Good Bye Samsung, you are a pitiful company thart has no business being in the Smnartphone business, let alone the Cell phone business.

And Sprint, I am tired of you complaining that it is beyond your control, pointing the finger at Google and Samsung!!! You are just like the old phone companies of yesteryear.

Journeyman

Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

Yes to your first question. I did delete the pairing from the car and did a new pairing. Now, I will have to requalify the Bluetooth issue. Today, my wife and I used the CR-V and were out for about an hour. I did not turn on my phone Bluetooth. She did connect her Bluetooth to the vehicle and we made a call using the vehicle Bluetooth interface. (We also noticed that last night, we could access her contacts, but today we could not.) We stopped and had lunch and then drove around for about 40 minutes. At the very end of the trip, the vehicle Bluetooth did disconnect her phone and then immediately reconnect it. First time we had seen that happen. So now I am not sure about if it's the vehicle or our phones. I will contact Honda too.

Second Question: I was on an Android forum where a person explained his perception of the problem with the ICS release. The app "Mybackup" backs up the apk files, media, music and such. The person went to great lengths to make sure you did not backup the application data. I will post the link. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-ii-epic-4g-touch/190358-guide-new-user-el29-ff18-us...

Doing the factory reset did destroy the application data because I had to re-install the app's.

A portion of his post was:

"When Sprint sent the OTA upgrade to ICS, the process did not clear the dalvik cache. This is the place where applications are compiled as a one time event. If the process had cleared the dalvik cache the reboot would have taken a lot longer than it did after the update. I believe the lagginess, the rapidly discharging battery, the nonfunctioning buttons etc are caused by the fact that executables compiled for Android 2.3.6 are now running in a ICS environment."

There more at the link, but this was the first reason he gave. And the factory reset worked. I was willing to sacrifice my application data to fix the "Non-Responsive" messages I was getting from the phone's apps. Essentially after the "Mybackup" restore, I had to reinstall each application and input new user settings and data. Worth the wait and time to perform. Phone is working much better.

Other than Bluetooth, the phone seems to be working fine. Battery life: ?, I do get a lot of text, tweets and facebook messages. Had the phone off the charger for a couple of hours and it's down to 89% battery. I don't depend on the phone for doing business since I have retired and I can afford to keep it on the charger.  I also have it on Roam. Since we live in an semi-rural area, Sprint coverage is not the best. So if the phone is bouncing between Sprint coverage and Roaming, I suspect the coverage will impact battery life if it is seeking service.

As to the gmail question. Not sure and don't recall during installation of the apps. I have looked at my phone's email account settings and do not see any backup settings for the account. I do not have the gmail app installed. Let me know I can help more.

Journeyman

After several conversations w/ Sprint, I was FINALLY told last night by the technical dept. that the factory reset will not remove the ICS software, & the only way to "fix" the problem is to get a NEW phone - one without the ICU auto-update.  So he gives me a ticket # & tells me to go to a Sprint store & they would look up the ticket # & I would have no problem getting a new phone from them, in exchange for my totally screwed up 7 mo. old Samsung GSII phone. 

WRONG... the local store told me that they cannot exchange for a new phone without an authorization, & there were NO notes on the ticket re: my conversation w/ the tech guy last night.  Totally ridiculous. 

I've been a customer since 2001 & have dealt w/ Sprint numerous times over the years.  I just left a voice msg for someone in Sprint's Corporate office (dan@sprint.com) - since I had some luck resolving issues w/ them last year. 

Sprint Employee

Hello GalSII, So far it appears that All phones running ICS do not capitalize I when using Swype. I see this on My Evo 3D, and Here’s an example of a Droid max user with the same complaint. So I would tend not to blame Samsung for this. I have tested FF18, and FH13 on phones here and they work for Gmail/cal/contact sync, which type of email and calendar are you having trouble with?

No longer working Community Response.
Sprint Employee

Hi, The Gmail app is installed by default, and when you add a Gmail account there is a checkbox that you can check, or leave vacant to backup phone settings like wifi networks, Etc. to be restored in the future. If you are only using the mybackup app for the application’s APKs and nothing more then you can go without it, as play store keeps a like of previously installed or purchased apps. Your music/pictures if in USB storage can easily be transferred to your computer, and SD card’s contents likewise can easily be copied to a computer. Please let me know how the Bluetooth situation pans out when you can.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Sometimes the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. We also have been Sprint customers for a long time. Really can't say about other carriers, but everyone has their horror stories. The technology has just gotten too complex over the years. Called "Bleeding Edge" if you have the latest and greatest toy. But, in defense of Sprint, they have improved in the past several years. Activation of a phone used to be a chore, but anymore, it's gotten to be a breeze. I like ICS and find it an improvement over Gingerbread. I have also rooted my HP Touchpad and played with Jelly Bean. I also like it too. Will have to wait for more improvements before I move up to Jelly Bean permanently on the Touchpad. The Android community (outside of Sprint) is really great source of information on ICS and Jelly Bean. And there are more like you having problems with ICS, but the Android community works hard at resolving those issues. The biggest problem I see is the Android fragmentation passed down from Google to Vendors to Carriers. Vendors and Carriers like to alter their Android products to make them stand out from the competition. Apple doesn't have that problem because they control everything from software to hardware, so you know it works but they may not have the latest and greatest. I wouldn't say Sprint is the worst, plenty of people complain about AT&T, Verizon and other companies. You may find that in jumping out of the Sprint pan may be jumping into someone's elses fire.

Journeyman

Will do. I have contacted Honda about the Bluetooth problem. Hopefully, they will have a fix or a solution. The vehicle software is getting almost as complex as an computer OS. Gotta have a PHD just to work on the dang thing. When I bought the CR-V, salesman told me the vehicle has 13 CPU modules running various functions. Glad none of them are running Windows, but maybe they are and I don't want to know it.

Journeyman

Blue tooth issue is mostly an operator error. I failed to see the check box at the Android ICS Contacts download message allowing me to bypass the message every time. Phone is working fine with ICS. Usually by the time I would fish the phone out of my pocket to take a look, the vehicle had disconnected me. I have used Pandora over the vehicle Bluetooth with my phone and with my HP Touchpad. So I am outa here.

Journeyman

i am also have the same troubles plus some other very inconvienent disturbances, such as, my phone not ringing when people call or i open my phone and there is some random apps open. plus the clarity and quality of my screen is crap now. the font for me is bigger. i did a factory default reset on my phone and it did nothing but lose everything i had now im so mad i don't want to got to the store cuz i won't be pleasent. i just want the old gingerbread software back but i don't know how and everywhere i have looked doesn't give me a clear answer.

Journeyman

If you *really* want EL29, google XDA EL29 ODIN TAR and you can find it on the internet.  Problem is you'll lose all your data again going back.

FWIW FH13 is solid if you do a clean install.  Then I recommend installing your apps a few at a time to see if you can narrow down the problem

Journeyman

@garwynn

I assume you do not live in a weak service area and do not travel to any.

Since ICS and now FH13 my phone has pitiful "radio" capability, and since it is first and foremost a phone, by definition, I do not consider this "solid".

The phone was never great, but ICS and FH13 have made it unusable.

I am negotiating with Sprint to get out of my contract without ETF.

Basically it comes down to this for me, Android/Google is not compatible with Microsoft. Samsung has announced/released the Galaxy S3 as a Windows 8 Phone. THat is where I am heading but according to all the sources I;ve seen, Sprint has no plans to adopt another Windows Phone, in light of the pitiful market share they ended with.

Perhaps Samsung with the Ativa and Windows 8 with Verizon's Netowrk will change that.

I am willing to take a chance because I have fiddled with Android for 2 years, two different phones, and between Sprint's pitiful coverage, and the faiure of Android to integrate with Office/Outlook for Calendar, ToDo and Contacts, I am done with Google, and Sprint.

The S2 with Sprint with the lack of consistent and reliable Calendar, email and Contacts Synchrinization, is not a smartphone, and with Sprint's pitiful coverage (I live in the "boondocks"10 miles north of Tampa) it nis not even a phone any more.

I've had a cell phone since 1986 and never have I had such a pitiful "phone". 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Then by all means go. But I also find my Samsung S II Epic 4G Touch solid with ICS and FH13. And I do live with spotty coverage. Go find something that works for you and makes you happy. Finding solutions makes me happy.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat