cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

Journeyman

Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

I share your pain and frustration. So much so I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau AND the online Better Business Bureau. I didn't seek the 4.0.4 ICS upgrade; it was pushed on me. Now my phone half-functions and as warm as it gets now, I don't think, quite frankly, it's particularly SAFE. I wonder if some kind of class action could be filed so that all consumers who have this phone and had the ICS upgrade pushed on them (rather than seeking it out) could get NOT monetary damages but be given the option of selecting a new phone of OUR choosing (a phone equivalent in price to what this phone cost). It might not be quite so bad if there was an actual manual accompanying the upgrade--like the manual that came with the phone itself when you bought it--but I've seen nothing online but ways to upgrade it yourself. And like you, I'm getting  no joy from Sprint. So maybe consumers need to "push" back (pun NOT intended, honest, lol). Any lawyers on here who could offer some input?

Journeyman

Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

They deleted my post, they are hiding behind this fiasco.

The truth is this phone is not a phone any more, let alone a smart phone, but worst  of all, they are ignoring us.

No, worst of all, they are deleting negative comments that are true because they gave no solution.

Sprint, formerly a company that equipped the businesses of America is now a consumer products company.

Sprint is failing for the same reason America is failing. Consumers are  valued, producers need to pay their fair share.

Journeyman

I concur that an e-mail or some form of written communications are needed to Sprint.  Every person with one or more of the issues with ICS should be sending written communication. 

I have spoken to Customer Service and Tech support numerous times over the last few days.  Everyone reacts as this is the absolute first they have heard of any issues, and even act as if maybe I caused the problems.  They also do not imply that they react or are knowledgeable of these blogs.

I have encountered every issue in these pages and my Galaxy S2 was purchased 5/20/12 and worked perfectly prior to my accepting the ICS update.  Tech first said Samsung problem when the factory resets did not resolve, then stated take to local Sprint store which resolved absolutely nothing.

My e-mails at least resulted in call backs but even so, all I was offered is a refurbished phone at $35.00.

Marketing 101 dictates at least some general communication - from a so called Communication Corporation - acknowledging the laundry list of issues encountered and that they are working with Samsung to resolve.

Sprint should be offering discounted upgrades to S3, if that actually functions with ICS, even if customer current plan does not qualify.  Then provide whatever rebate available on the S2.  Then when they fix ALL THE MANY issues, they can update the phones sent for rebate and sell as used or send them out as refurbished.

FYI  Chat support is clueless on these problems and basically directs to the non-existent tutorials on this site.

Sprint Employee

Hello cac42, I’m sorry that you feel that we are not communicating about software updates for this model well. Truthfully I can say that discussions like this had prompted another software update which addressed concerns of battery life (FH13 was released shortly after this discussion was started).

Call center employees generally have no opportunity to browse these forums, as they are geared towards answering calls, and reporting in other ways. The Chat employees are aimed more towards general customer service. Problems related to hardware, or software updates are usually handled in our service & repair centers because they are capable reporting problems directly to the developers. This is the reason that you would have been referred to a service & repair center if you had problems that persisted beyond a factory restore.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

My assessment of FH13 is that it does indeed improve battery life, it is however how it accomplishes this that is laughable: The how is that phone goes offline with data connectivity/synchronization.

Push email has effectively been disabled.  Setting the polling to 15 or 30 minutes is no better, I have to reboot the phone to get it to "wake up."

I reboot 15 times per day. Again, laughable. I had to buy a spare battery so I can replace the battery every 6 hours. To make matters worse, if you are on a call and your battery goes low, you have to plug the phone in and wait to finish your call to replace the battery because the STUPID phone does not allow you to replace the battery, even though plugged in.

You become chained to the wall by a Cell Phone. Really?

Add to this the fact the "radio" on the phone is so pitiful, I cannot leave my home office while on a call because I have to stay close to my Airave, or the call will drop.

Add to this the fact if you walk too far from the Airave, the phone will switch to a Roaming tower, walking back to the Airave does not reconnect the call. so you hae to go outside to finish your call or hang up and call back. It is absurd. 

The phone is not smart, is at times not cordless, and is not a cell phone.  It is a joke! It is the most expensive Cordless/Corded Phone I've ever owned.

Journeyman

RC,

Any word on the street if they're going to push out FI03/FI06?

Been using it for almost 2 full weeks and I can honestly say I feel like I'm as solid now as I was on GB.

(The few issues that I have are likely of my own doing since I tweak it after updating...)

Journeyman

Hope all the people just lurking and reading the site actually

put the effort in to say something/ anything about their broken phones! Why

settle for something of yours that is broken! People use their phones more than

they use their toilets! Could you live with a broken toilet if you didn't say or help

to fix it? We pay at least $1080 a year each line for a phone and service that

should work!  I had something that made my life easier...  these software updates have made my life harder! 

Journeyman

What I don't understand is why they can't rollout out a 2.3.6 update to get people back to what they enjoyed.

I went into the store and asked if my phone came into the store smashed and I got a new one, what would I get?  just another S2 with ICS and all the problems.

OK. you admit there's problems, so upgrade me to the S3 where ICS does work for a reduced rate. I'm willing to pay $50 or so to go to the S3.

Journeyman

Hey Big Guy apparently the tech(s) at the store in Honolulu are aware of all the problems with the

Epic 4g touch and have instructed me to come in so they can reinstall me back to

Ginger Bread. However it looks like they can do nothing about that nagging update

reminder which comes on basically every time i turn my phone on or charge it! Should

I do it? Is everyone being offered this temporary solution? I just mentioned I was

following the forum and showed them screenshots of my reboots and battery life... I

just want a working phone that does what it should! What is the definition of an

upgrade... moving to something better right? Not taking 10 steps back... My phone

has become WORSE than it ever was 2 updates ago... They better stop that nagging

update notification if they reinstall Ginger Bread... GRRRR!

Journeyman F-U
Journeyman

I got the official build not through the update and all worked fairly well other than. 1. Battery life dropped drastially. ad the annoying new home/power screen shot that hardly ever works. My freind got the update and had these issues plus major laggy phone and some otehr issues. He did a full factory reset using id number and his phone works much better and battery is better than it was. Still not GB good but good for ICS.   So I tried this even though it meant losing ALL my data from apps. (because for some reason you can't back up app data STILL!!!) Any way after doing the reset my battery got slightly better but. About a month ago got a new update supposed to fix issues. Now my phone runs like crap. Battery sucks again, lags, freezes. I wake my phone and unlock then have to wait a couple seconds before it responds to anything. This just sucks. between this crap, the blocking of camera silence, the inability to turn all volume down at 1 time, and the poor service in my area becaus ethey are "working" on the towers. I sure wish I hadn't upgraded and signed up for another 2 yrs. Sprint is really dropping the ball on this and as usual when you call CSR you amy or may not get a rep that has any clue what they are talking about. 

Bad choice Sprint. BAD!

Journeyman

I also ran the update for my S2 and now my phone is frozen at the start up screen. I even ran the factory reset and its still frozen. At this time, I am not a happy customer.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Highlighted
Journeyman

"Sorry" is not enough. Your company has failed it's customers, and behaves in an unacceptable denialish way. A proper response would be an IMMEDIATE availability of GB "downgrade" (cheap) or  hardware upgrade (expensive but fair)

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat