cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GA10 jellybean build. my thoughts

Journeyman

GA10 jellybean build. my thoughts

i installed the rooted version, that resets all the data, which is what i'd recommend.   End result: its like a brand new phone... The phone is once again fluid and smooth like it was prior to the ICS update, though the OS is vastly improved.

2 points..

Flash is no longer officially supported. You can't install it from the Play Store, but you can download the APK from the web, and install it, and it works in the native browswer same as before.
GPS, i can't tell if its buggy... it seems to always be searching. i can't tell if its supposed to be doing this, or if its actually having trouble.

6 REPLIES 6
Wizard

Re: GA10 jellybean build. my thoughts

coltranesteelkirt,

Thanks for the post. We don't suggest our customers root their devices. This is not supported by us and will void your warranty. In the end the choice is yours. Thank you and please free to reply back to us for an assist.

Journeyman

When does my phone become my phone? I'm assuming once it is out of warranty, and is elibible for upgrade, then it is my phone.

I got tired of waiting on Samsung to update the S2 and was ready to switch to Verizon, when I was convinced to go into a trial/test on an S3. The S3 has in fact resolved a myriad of issues related to Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and the stock email client, contacts, and calendar applications. It still has an issue with jumbled email, i.e., email messages download as a combinaton of header with another message body. Swype also has some bugs which make it very tedious to use on the S3.

I was told the Microsoft Exchange issus all required the JellyBean updates, so I decided to try the unofficial JellyBean on the S2, (which I still have because I own it) , and because Samsung is still dragguig their feet on release.

I am pleased to report almost all the issues I have been reporting since July, when Microsoft updated their live.com servers to support Outlook.com, have in fact been resolved, on the S2. I use it just with WiFi since I don't have Phone service on it.

The truth is, the S2 with GA10 based on JellyBean 4.1.2 is better than the S3 with the current, based on JellyBean 4.1.1.

The worst thing about the S3 is that it is 4GLTE, which we have in a very small number of areas in the Tampa Bay area, (and they won't tell us when it will be rolled out where) and 4GLTE is not downward compatible to 4G, which means it is very slow in areas were we do have 4G now, and it also means it will not communicate with my Airave at my home, or my office, unless I force the phone to CDMA only mode. If you leave the Connection Optimizer on, and happen tro drive to an area supporting 4GLTE, the phone will switch to CDMA/4GLTE and then will not work with the Airave. Switching to CDMA is not a simple tap of a toggle, it requires a reboot of the phone every time you return home, or to your office, then you must remember to change it back to CDMA/4GLTE, then reboot it every time you leave home, or office. Sprint has confirmed this to be a known issue, with no solution for it at this time. We've been waiting for an update to the Airave for almost a year regarding texts and the S2.

I have yet to see Samsung announce 4.1.2 for the S3 so at this point I am planning on returning the S3 and staying with my rooted S2, or just switching to Verizon where I will get away from the Airave issue. 

Master

GalSII wrote:

When does my phone become my phone? I'm assuming once it is out of warranty, and is elibible for upgrade, then it is my phone.

I got tired of waiting on Samsung to update the S2 and am in trial on an S3. THe S3 resolved a myriad of issues related to Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and the stock email client, contacts, and calendar applications.

I was told these were all a function of JellyBean so I decided to try JellyBean in the phone, again, because Samsung has been dragguig their feet on release of JellyBean.

I am pleased to report almost all the issues I have been reporting since July, when Microsoft updated their live.com servers to support Outlook.com, have in fact been resolved.

The truth is, the S2 with GA10 based on JellyBean 4.1.2 is better than the S3 with the current, based on JellyBean 4.1.1.

The worst thing about the S3 is that it requires 4GLTE and is not downward compatible to 4G, which means it does not communicate with my Airave at my home, and if I happen tro drive to an area supporting 4GLTE, I have to change my phone to CDMA mode, which requires a reboot my phone every time I return home, or to my office, then remember to change it back to CDMA/4GLTE, then reboot it every time I leave my home, or office.

I have yet to see Samsung announce 4.1.2 for the S3 so at this point I am planning on returning the S3 and staying with my rooted S2.

You are completely free to do so, it is one of the great advantages of Android. However, neither Sprint nor Samsung are under any obligation to help you out if you break the phone, it breaks on its own, or fails in any way since you have installed unsupported software on the device. It does not matter whether the software was leaked from an internal test build, it is not supported on consumer devices until released by Sprint/Samsung and therefore would void your warranty and anything related to it.

As for 4G LTE and 4G WiMax, that has absolutely nothing to do with your Airave. The Airave does not support any 4G technology at all. It is possible that the 3G CDMA/4G LTE bridging technology eHRPD would prevent the Airave from transmitting data traffic correctly which can be prevented by setting your phone to utilize 3G EVDO only (this disables eHRPD since it is used by the phone to maintain the same IP address on the network across 3G and 4G by transferring all data through the 4G core, even when not on a 4G LTE connection). If you do not have 4G LTE coverage in your area yet, there is no downside to leaving your phone on 3G Only in the mean time, your data speeds, etc. are going to be the same. You also shouldn't have an issue if you are connecting your phone to WiFi at home either since then all data traffic is routed through that connection instead. These two are the official workarounds in the meantime.

Journeyman

Well, again, if the phone is out of warranty, what is the issue you raise regarding lack of support? I have had no issue whatsoever returning the phone to current level release from Sprint/Samsung, and then putting the latest build on from other sources.

Regarding the Airave, I do not have that issue with the S2 because it is not 4G-LTE. The suggestion to force the phone to CDMA mode is not acceptable for 2 reasons, 1. 4G is available in some areas of Tampa, and being forced to use 3G is not only irritating, it violates my contract which has required me to pay $10 per mo., for almost 3 years, in order to be able to access 4G.

I don't need the Airave for data i.e., 4G, because I have WiFi when in range of the Airave, but I do need the Airave for Voice and SMS and the phone does not work as a phone if it is set to CDMA/4G-LTE with the Airave.

As far as I am concerned, either Sprint stops charging me $10 per. mo. for something I can't have and if I set it to use it will cause my phone to malfunction with the Airave, tell me when the Airave will be fixed, or I switch to Verizon.

Journeyman

I understand that Sprint has an official stance on the topic of rooting... And i have my own official stance: There's no reason not to root, and many reasons for rooting.

Regarding them honoring the warranty if the things breaks.... People... the phone was unbearably buggy UNTIL I rooted...  If anything, i took it upon myself to fix the issues i was having, on my own, in a way that Sprint will not be able to accomdate. 

Its a software issue... Not hardware.... Sure, if the hardware breaks, i'll have to get a new device... I'm not expecting that to happen anytime soon, at least not until the time i'd have voluntarily upgraded, anyway.

For the record, i leave Connection Optimizer OFF.  Its a battery drain, and has unpredictable results.

Journeyman

The truth is, the days when Sprint provided support for anything but the most basic of functions are long over.

And "TEP" is a bit of a farce. Case in point: I currently am having a problem with the S3 and the Airave in that the phone sometimes (approximately 1 out of 4 times) does not allow me to answer the phone. It acts like I'm connected, but the caller is in Voice Mail.

I went through all the basic steps with Tech Support and they referred me to a store to swap out the phone to see if it is the Airave or the Phone. Well, I had a little problem with that. They wouldn't swap the phone. Why, I found out upon taking the phone to the store that the screen is cracked. I couldn't see the crack, but they could and pointed it out to me. It has no effect on functioning of the phone, but it is indeed cracked, fro the corner to the stupid home button at the bottom.

My conclusion, the screen is almost delicate in comparison to the S2. I dropped my S2 almost every week for the entire life, which was 20 mos and the screen never cracked. I can only remember having dropped this phone once in the 2 weeks I had it at that time, and it was while taking the case off to replace the battery. If you purchased the Sprint case for the phone, you know you feel like you are about to break the phone to get it out of the case, and I dropped the phone in the process. But I didn't see the crack until the tech at the repair center pointed it out.

They told me my only option is to take advantage of the TEP I am paying $11 per month for. But it has a $150 deductible, and I have no guarantee that I will get a new phone to replace it. I've had it for 3 weeks.

It is entirely cosmetic, and you have to hold it at just the correct angle to even see it.

In addition to that, unless I opt for the Insurance option, they will not do anything for me as far as testing the phone or providing any other repair option, ever.

So basically I am forced to continue to pay the $11 per month, and hopefully I will not need any repairs on the phone, because if I do, I will need to swap it for $150. Absurd.

Moral to the story: "Root your phone"

You lose either way.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat