cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy II menu settings window pops up and down all the time!

Journeyman

Galaxy II menu settings window pops up and down all the time!

Galaxy II with the settings menu popping up and down all the time in low reception areas.  I've read that this is a problem inherent in the phone, but it does this even when connected to wi-fi.  I can't get anything done, texting is interrupted, email is interrupted and it also freezes for seconds when it does this.

Has anyone been able to fix this, or is there an update or patch from either Sprint or Samsung for this issue?  Had this phone 4 months now and am getting really upset.

16 REPLIES

Re: Galaxy II menu settings window pops up and down all the time!

THRUSH311,

To be completely honest, I haven't heard of this particular issue. Have you tried making sure your device is backed up and performed a factory restore?

-William

Journeyman

Yep, a good number of us have had this same issue. Take a look through some previous threads and you'll find a lot of people are experiencing the exact same problems. I understand your frustration; however, Sprint and Samsung have refused to do much of anything in regards to fixing our phones. There is an update being dangled in front of us (which should supposedly fix nearly all problems with this phone), but they continue to keep it from us without giving us any sort of idea on when it will be released.

Highlighted

This issue is currently under investigation by Sprint and Samsung. They have not been able to discover a root cause yet. Most sample devices that have been sent in for review from retail stores have either not presented the issue during testing or have had corrosion inside the phone. I have no information for an ETR or whether it is a hardware or software issue at this time. It seems to be more affected by warmth/heat from my experience working with phones in store but I have no scientific basis to supprot this, just my view personally. So areas of low/no signal where the phone is having to work harder to maintain a connection, seem to cause it to present more readily.

I assure you the device team is aware of the issue and is looking into it, but I don't have much info other than that currently.

Journeyman

I have the same issue constantly. The phone is unresponsive and has random pop up menus when I have low reception. And since I live in a low reception area, it happens all the time. I've had this problem since I bought the phone. My wife has the same phone, doesn't have the issue.

Journeyman

This particular problem was the last problem I had with the S2 on Thanksgiving day. The stupid settings screen kept popping up all on it's own. After trying all the reset stuff over the phone with no cure to the problem I was allowed to free myself from the S2 once in for all when Sprint allowed me to lateral over to either a Motorla and or an HTC phone that was equal to the S2. I couldn't be any more happier now that I no longer have that junk S2.

Journeyman

My soft keys have been malfunctioning too with weak reception (which is everywhere for this phone).  They stop working then later replay all of my missed punches to the buttons in rapid succession.  It's like running an old Windows 3.0 desktop - lots bugs, lots of waiting, and lots of rebooting.

Journeyman

I have been suffering this problem since acquiring my S II in August 2012.  Though it seems to be related to low tower signal strength, and the majority of the time I can get it to quit popping up the menu by putting the phone into 'Airplane Mode', but sometimes it continues the behavior even after going into airplane mode.

Of course, this also means I cannot make phone calls or use wifi during that period of time.

I have also seen this menu popup happen when the phone is showing four or fivee bars, theoretically indicating a good signal...

So, do we know if this is a problem with hardware, the core OS or the Sprint overlay?  Is this problem peculiar to the SPH-D710 or does it happen on other model Galaxy SII phones?

I also live in an area of constantly low signal (and no 4G...), so any workarounds would be welcomed.

Journeyman

Update: I have found This post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1551580 which indicates that it is actually a hardware problem.

It might be masked by software, but if this is actually a hardware issue, then I fear we are stuck with it, since it is highly unlikely that either Sprint nor Samsung will be willing to issue something along the lines of a recall to rectify the situation.

Journeyman

I don't have problems with the menu poping up but it will stop working for a while.

This probably isn't the only hardware bug.  My phone always malfunctions while hiking in remote areas and I've been able to reproduce the problem at home simply by wrapping the phone in aluminum foil for a few minutes.  GPS and cell radios die, power consumption becomes very high, and the charge light may stop working.  Only a reboot or power cycle fixes it.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.