cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S2 4G never works

Highlighted
Patron

Galaxy S2 4G never works

Hey don't know if anyone else has this issue but when I bought my S2 the 4G worked it was just spotty, but over time the 4G would just go dormant, meaning the 4G icon would get z's and my data wouldn't work. If I turn the 4G off and just use the 3G the web works fine but only at 3G speeds obviously, this is really annoying because I am paying for 4G and everything but I can only get 3G to work, I still have gingerbread and haven't been able to/haven't gotten the update for ICS. Please help anyone!

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello A-han-343, please send me a private message so I can look closer into this for you.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hi mgonzales085, I will gladly look into this for you too.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, I took my phone to the Sprint store yesterday and they reflashed the software and reset the phone. Their explanation was that they are currently working on the towers here in Houston and that was the cause of not being able to aquire data or even use my phone to make calls (which was my biggest concern). So now here I sit at my house with no signal and when I try to make a call, it just hangs up. Then, I reboot my phone and it works. Later on, same scenario.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi, I am also having this issue. I've had no problem connecting to 4G until last night, when I did the latest update.  Zip 94520

Any idea on how to get 4G back yet? I am a new Sprint customer, and this is already leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello again,

Update: Still no 4G service and useless 3G service at all. Before all this update mess, Gingerbread was perfect! I could make a phone call with ease (no Roaming alert being put out on my notification bar like it was serious or something), could turn on my 4G and it would work, 3G was fair (though not tolerable for usage), and the signal bar would have at least 2-4 bars on the average. Now, here we are today and nothing has changed at all. I am sitting in my house where it roams, can't even use 4G at all (it won't connect), 3G is pretty much invisible (dial-up is probably faster than 3G), I can't make a simple call without the phone disconnecting and having to redial the number several times (at times, I just have to reboot the phone and it finally works). I even have people call me saying "hey, I just called you a little while ago and how come you didn't pick up?" My response.."well, I didn't hear the phone ring at all." Low and behold, at times I can't even receive a phone call. You know, I can understand that nothing is ever going to be perfect when it comes to phones and I can deal with it. My problem is that when I need to make a call and cannot perform this simple function, that is where I draw the line. What if it was an emergency and I couldn't place the call or someone could not get ahold of me? I sure hope that day does not come because if it ever does and my phone malfunctions or does not perform like it is suppose to, I guarantee you I will leave Sprint and go back to T-Mobile in a heartbeat.

Highlighted
Patron

I can definitely sympathize, I have talked with a Sprint tech through the private message and re-explained things to them a few times and the only thing they have fixed so far is that when I turn the 4G off the 3G actually kicks in like it did before the new software. So now I do get 3G fairly consistently now however like you had mentioned the 3G speeds are very slow. Fortunately I am not having many issues with phone calls, they are  usually clear, I do occasionally just get a voice mail without my phone ringing and people say that it rang through like normal and went to voice mail on their end so they thought I just didn't answer. While talking to some of the techs they have said that some of the 4G towers have been removed, like in Aurora CO they said they took out four of the towers. I am in Denver CO however the problem I see is that they are removing 4G towers and that's all they are doing. I understand taking the old towers down to replace them with the new ones however all they have done so far is take them out. It would seem that they wouldn't want to take those out until the new ones are close to if not operational. Just my opinion.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, to me it would be the smart thing to either convert the old tower to a new tower or build a new one then take down the old one afterwards. Either way, it is sad that I cannot use my phone to to capabilities it is made for. I can't even go out somewhere and check-in on FB anymore because my phone won't even access anything with 3G or 4G at all...pretty much only with my wifi at home (from Comcast). Before with Gingerbread, I had zero issues with the phone and it performed flawless. Now, I am at a stump because even the simplest tasks that were performed on my phone before are almost useless and that even includes making a simple phone call at times. I am tired of hearing "Oh, we are working on the network so that is why you are experiencing intermittent call issues." The rep at the Sprint store told me that he was experiencing the same thing also on his phone (I guess to make me feel a little bit better which I knew was a bunch of bologna!) You know, I understand that Sprint may not be able to replace every SGS2 customer's unit with a brand new or different device but I bet they could utilize using the early upgrade for their customers so they will at least make up some of the lost capital from those devices. Besides, it would be better to take a little loss on the device than lose a customer signing a new 2 year contract. They would be able to make up the money from the new 2 year contract and keep most of their customer's happy. Heck, I would even be willing to meet them halfway by paying 50% of the retail cost of the phone if they gave that option. I remember a former experience I had with a defective phone when I was on T-Mobile. I had a phone that was exchanged several times and when I called customer service to explain my situation, they offered to take back my phone and ship me another model so that I wouldn't cancel my contract. You see, if you know you are having issues with a product you sell, take the responsibility and try to do what you can to help out and satisfy your customer. Besides, can you imagine how many people who are going to end up terminating their service because of this fiasco. They are going to end up losing millions of dollars when they can just step in and offer customers an early upgrade or a bigger discount. Doesn't that make more sense?

Highlighted
Journeyman

i live in brooklyn, ny 11219 and i also had 4g issues.  however isolated my problems to fh13.  you see, i upated to fh13 a little less than 2 weeks ago and i lost my wimax capability.  phone issue?  network problems?  nope.  you see, i took matters into my own hands and rolled back to el29 and my wimax access had returned.  so i updated to fh13 again and once more i lost 4g connectivity.  again rolled back and 4g was working.  so its not the network or the phone, its these flawed builds that we keep being pushed to us.

so i am currently on gingerbread buold el29 and my phone once again has 4g capabilities.

Highlighted
Patron

Glad to hear that that solution worked for you, however my phone has always had 4G issues since I bought it when the Galaxy S2 came out in Denver CO. It had issues on Gingerbread and it has issues with ICS. When I would talk to a tech I would always get "They are working on the netwok" or "Do a prfile and PRL update" or my personal favorite "Huh, I haven't really seen this before. But I have only been doing this for about 6 weeks" I  am looking forward to getting some sort of explination sometime soon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you can try a side-by-side comparison with another device and see what happens.  That usually will help get it moving if they can see the difference.

Also might want to try apps like OpenSignalMaps and see what it reports.

Lastly if you're willing there are WiMax tweaks that may help you out.  Just look on XDA for Wimax Tweaks under this phone.

Helped me reliably get on in my office when I couldn't even with GB.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat