Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S2 Problems

Highlighted
Journeyman

Galaxy S2 Problems

Hello,

So I've had the Galaxy S2 for almost a year and its been having a lot of problems recently. The battery life has been draining like crazy. The phone used to last me all day with the applications I have running (mostly texting, email and internet every so often.) Anyway, now the battery has been having a lot of problems. A few times now I've had above 50% battery, when the screen starts to dim in and out and then the phone shuts off. When I turn it back on, I will have 0% battery left. Just this even, I charged my phone to 100% and every few minutes I checked it, the battery dropped close to 10%. I was around 30% when it randomly shut off again.

Is this a common problem? Is it my battery or is there a software glitch that can be fixed? For everyone with the S2, how long did you battery last you before you replaced it? Should I get a replacement phone from the Sprint store or just request to get a new battery, because these problems are ridiculous and I've been having to take my charger everywhere with me.

Thanks!

54 REPLIES 54
Highlighted
Journeyman

The JB upgrade didn't do SQUAT for this piece of trash phone. What a waste of money. When I call sprint I am told they weren't aware of such issues. Interesting that there are three pages worth of complaints about this device. Ridiculous.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The update did wonders for my phone actually. Got rid of all the issues I was Having with the phone itself although the connection optimizer pisses me off royally. now I'm just plagued with service and data issues like before.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I definitely feel like I have been taken for a ride by Sprint. We have three of the Galaxy S2 model phones in our house. Most recently I went in because the phones were continuously rebooting themselves, often times in the middle of a phone call. In one such event my son was listening to music and his phone rebooted. When it came back on, the phone vibrated off the counter and the screen broke. I brought all 3 phones in and they said they would reset them to "original" factory settings. I stated that I have a lot of important numbers and pictures that I can't have lost. The tech assured me he would be able to save them. WE LOST EVERYTHING!!!!
Sprint has completely refused to replace the phones and I don't feel I should have to. Needless to say I will not be staying with Sprint. With all of the complaints online this will make for a very easy win in court.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Julian,

I received the 2nd replacement phone from Sprint store with the updated version of Android 4.1.2 with Baseband version is GB27 without the Abode Flash and still getting problem with having the menu screen pop up for no reason. Each time the menu screen would pop up, I wouldn't be able to hit the back button at the bottom of my phone.

Now Sprint said I can replace with another dedice: EVO or Proton.  These two are not compartible with my S2.  I have insurance throught Sprint and it stated they will replace with compatible device but it is not.

Please help.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same problem as everyone else.  I'm currently on the 5th battery since all these problems started and it stopped working 2 weeks ago.  It's expanded to the point it almost pops off the case backing but my local Sprint is arguing with me on whether or not the battery is the problem.  Asked about a replacement since I have the phone insurance and it's not even my fault and was told $100 deductible would still apply.  Sprint is a joke.  Coverage is terrible, numerous problems with phone, and customer service is c r a p.  Going back to Verizon as soon as possible.  Hopefully I can talk to someone that will waive my early termination fee in light of all these Sprint-created issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had the same thing happen with my S2 in the past.  Called Sprint and actually got the guy I talked to that it is an acknowledged problem with the phone and that the process to troubleshoot is as follows.

1) Factory reset phone. (didn't work for me)
2) Have screen replaced. (Also didn't work)

3) If still happening replace phone.

Took forever to get a replacement phone and they also wanted to give me some crappy Evo or Photon phone instead of the S2.  Got my "new" phone and it was loaded with Jelly Bean.  Ended up being just as worthless.  From my research it's an issue with the 3g radio interfering with the capacitive buttons.  Samsung apparently did not use proper shielding between the radio and touch buttons, which is why they say to replace the screen.  You'll notice if you turn 4g or wifi on it does not happen, as well as if you turn all data radios off.  Also it did it much more and rapidly in low signal conditions due to the phone switching rapidly between towers, thats where the interference comes from.  We see it as the capacitive buttons activating themselves and effectively locking the phone.  My advice, if you're not afraid of losing your warranty, I suggest you root your phone and place a gingerbread (Android 2.3) ROM back on your phone.  Gingerbread ran so much better than ICS or Jelly Bean on this phone.  I miss it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did all the steps and my phone stills having issue.  Did you mean to use WiFi and 4G when needed data or just to turn it on?  I turned it on without having it available and the issue still there.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just turn them on when you need data.  If your 3g radio is inactive you no longer have issues with the capacitive keys.  Took me a long time to notice my phone never does it when I'm using wifi or hooked up to a 4g tower.  I'm due for an upgrade now and was going to spring for an Ativ S Neo......but I figure I'll wait until 4glte comes to Cincinnati before I upgrade.  Which means I'm stuck with this S2 turd for a little while longer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I appreciate you taking the time to post this. I have had an extremely frustrating and similar experience with Sprint and my Samsung Galaxy II.  As of today, Samsung denies any known issues even though a tech at a Sprint Service center said the issues you detailed are indeed known issues.  The discrepancy is frustrating, as well as Sprints willingness to resolve this fairly. I agree that an EVO is not a comparable replacement.  I have blogged about my experience here: Issues with Sprint and the Galaxy SII Epic | Oh, for the love of all things.....

Let me know what you think please.  I wish Sprint would listen to their customers!

sjzepeda,

Thank you for notifying us of your recent attempts to resolve the various issues with your Samsung Galaxy SII, with the primary issue being the phantom menu key press. I have read your detailed experience on the external blog as well. It is our responsibility to ensure that you have a working device, although up to this point you are unhappy with the solutions we have provided. The issue you have described seems to be found in rare low coverage scenarios and is related to a component found on the capacitive menu keys found at the bottom of the device. Either a exchange or replacement of the touch panel assembly should fix the issue. Please head to a nearby repair center for further assistance.

*Julian

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have a Samsung Galaxy Sii and mine is also having various problems.  It shuts off randomly and in order to turn it back on you must pull the battery.  It also goes from 100% charged to 30% charged in a matter of hours with no usage.  It randomly says the SD card is damaged, however, if you take out the battery and reboot it is fine.  These problems have become more frequent and battery life is getting worse by the day.  Unfortunately, I don't have any upgrade until March and frankly I don't beleive it will last that long.  I do know that I don't be upgrading to a Samsung phone again.  This one has been enough of an experience.  That is sad to say because I have other Samsung products like a smart TV and laptop which I love.  I think I will have to go back to blackberry.  The last blackberry I had lasted years with no problems.  I have only had this Samsung since July 4, 2012 and I don't abuse my phone.  It still looks in perfect condition. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was trying not to use my upgrade but it looks like I have to.  I have had similar issues in the past but I replaced my battery and things are fine, until recently.  I find it hard to believe that I can be in my office and get limited to no signal on the S2 when my son comes in and has no problems on his S3.  WTH?  I constantly drop calls in downtown Augusta, GA or when I try to call out, I get nothing or a message that says, "Your call cannot be completed at this time."  REALLY?  Sprint, I have been a customer for many years but this is ridiculous!  Your service level has gone downhill something fierce!  I called last month about the poor connectivity in the area and I get a we'll look into it.  No call back.  HEY SPRINT:  YOUR CONNECTIONS IN AUGUSTA AND THE SURROUNDING AREA ARE STILL TERRIBLE.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat