Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S2 Problems

Highlighted
Journeyman

Galaxy S2 Problems

Hello,

So I've had the Galaxy S2 for almost a year and its been having a lot of problems recently. The battery life has been draining like crazy. The phone used to last me all day with the applications I have running (mostly texting, email and internet every so often.) Anyway, now the battery has been having a lot of problems. A few times now I've had above 50% battery, when the screen starts to dim in and out and then the phone shuts off. When I turn it back on, I will have 0% battery left. Just this even, I charged my phone to 100% and every few minutes I checked it, the battery dropped close to 10%. I was around 30% when it randomly shut off again.

Is this a common problem? Is it my battery or is there a software glitch that can be fixed? For everyone with the S2, how long did you battery last you before you replaced it? Should I get a replacement phone from the Sprint store or just request to get a new battery, because these problems are ridiculous and I've been having to take my charger everywhere with me.

Thanks!

54 REPLIES 54
Highlighted
Journeyman

Have same problem myself... battery goes fast with barely any applications open, and just today it rebooted twice for no reason.. all after the software updates...  ready to chunk this phone out the window...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Additionally my phone turns on 4G and Wifi automatically seconds after I had shut them off to save the battery.... like it's possessed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello Rwebb3017,

I'm sorry to hear that you have had issues with the device. Were you able to get the device replaced and did that resolve the issue? Thank you.*Paida

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey Sfriedmco,

Thanks for posting. Have you reset the device? Thank you. *Paida

Highlighted
Master

If you don't have TEP then there is nothing they can do about it. The $50 charge is the fee for them to look at an uninsured phone. If they are unable to fix the issue after paying the $50 fee, then they order a replacement phone. If you or your son had TEP, then they would have looked at it free of charge and if they couldn't fix, they would have ordered you a replacement.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Master

SFRIEDMCO wrote:

Additionally my phone turns on 4G and Wifi automatically seconds after I had shut them off to save the battery.... like it's possessed.

This is completly normal. The recent updates included a piece of software called Sprint Connections Optimizer which manages your connections to improve your battery life and user experience on the network.

Check the following,

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/547806

If after you read the above and you wish to turn it off, do the following,

• Settings > Mobile Data > Automatic Connections

Turn it off.

Also keep in mind, WiFi provides the best battery life of all the connections.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Journeyman

THIS IS B.S.
WE ARE NOT ALL HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM JUST FOR THE HECK OF IT. I personally am having the same issues as well as three of my friends. There is no way it is an accident.

THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO CAUSE AN UPGRADE FRENZY. SPRINT HAS SENT AN UPDATE TO THE GALEXY S2 THAT HAS CAUSED THIS. they need to fix it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I will be in the Sprint store today discussing this and I will not be quiet about it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So to Smotrs statement he is correct but there is more.

There is a known issue to the development community with the "Ice Cream Sandwhich" update for the Galaxy S2(Epic 4G Touch). This issue is unknown and has been seen on a large percentage of E4GT. I personally have had my battery replaced due to this very issue.

If you wish to do a quick test then please read. Take out your battery and place it on a flat surface. Now spin the battery. If it spins constantly like a top then you have a swollen battery that has been over charged. There may be, and I say this because we really cannot say with 100% certainty, an issue with the charging state defined in the ICS update that will not "trickle charge" the battery once at 100%. The phone reads 100% but the charging chip in the phone is not told to drop to a trickle charge and therefor keeps charging the battery. Again this is not Sprint talking this is from the development community that has seen the issue and discussed it in length and has all but 100% verified the issue.

Again if your battery spins like a top then your battery is bad or going bad. A replacement is need ASAP as this can be dangerous. Now with that said I can tell you that the next update to Android for our phones no longer has this issue. There is no release date for this update from Sprint as of today but we expect to see it in late March early April. you will want this update not only for this fix but for the new OS(Jelly Bean) as the improvement's are phenomenal and you will think you have a new phone.

So for now you can argue with Sprint for a battery replacement but there is no guarantee you will get one. There are cheaper alternatives on the Internet but I will not provide that info as to not be biased.

I do not work for Sprint and am not affiliated in any way with them other than being an Epic 4G Touch owner, therefor my statment here cannot not be used to make Sprint liable.

Highlighted
Journeyman

there you go.   The update has created the problem and they need to replace the battery.

Highlighted
Journeyman

What I say or any other outside person doesn't make it a Sprint statement. My last sentance says it all. Sorry.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Similar problems with my S2 on ICS since update.    ...and I've been with Sprint a LONG time.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat