cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S2 - Wrong time stamps when receiving text messages while the phone is off. How can I fix this?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Galaxy S2 - Wrong time stamps when receiving text messages while the phone is off. How can I fix this?

For example:

I turn my phone (Galaxy SII) off at 4:30pm.

Someone sends me a text message at 5:00pm while my phone is off.

I turn my phone back on at 10:03pm and I receive the text messages with a time stamp of 10:03pm, even though in reality the message was sent to me at 5:00pm.

This is very bothersome because many of the messages I receive are time sensitive. How can I fix this issue?

6 REPLIES 6
Master

Re: Galaxy S2 - Wrong time stamps when receiving text messages while the phone is off. How can I fix this?

I'm not trying to be a smart a s s in here but..., if the messages are time sensitive shouldn't you keep the phone on so you can read them? This way it will fix the issue too (since no indication was made for error when on).

I also was under impression that the time stamp in the message was the time you received the message and not when it was sent, but I might be wrong on that...

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

Re: Galaxy S2 - Wrong time stamps when receiving text messages while the phone is off. How can I fix this?

Lol ... you are correct Dj_Damjano ... on the samsung galaxy family, the timestamp that you'll see there is the time u received the message.

If you wanna know when the message was sent, just press and hold on that message, and then go for details.

I also lol'ed on the

"I turn my phone (Galaxy SII) off at 4:30pm. (...)This is very bothersome because many of the messages I receive are time sensitive." part .

Journeyman

These replies are interesting.  My phone must be clairvoyant then because all my text messages sent arrive 45 minutes before the time stamp.   Now since I can send to multiple devices and they all have the same wrong time stamp, this would indicate to me the time stamp comes from the sending device not the receiving device.  But it's still interesting the text messages arrive 45 minutes before they are sent ... at least according to the time stamp.  I guess I'm not used to the efficient Sprint network.

GrandMaster

JoeyWillDestroy wrote:

For example:

I turn my phone back on at 10:03pm and I receive the text messages with a time stamp of 10:03pm, even though in reality the message was sent to me at 5:00pm.

This is very bothersome because many of the messages I receive are time sensitive. How can I fix this issue?

by keeping the phone on?

it will  only show you when you received the text...not when they sent it...not sure if you had some special type of phone that didnt do it this way but every phone i have ever owned worked exactly like this...received time stamp..not when they sent it

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

JoeyWillDestroy wrote:

For example:

I believe this was something that was changed when Android updated to ICS and Jellybean.

Back when I had my original Galaxy, it use to show me time stamps for when the message was sent not received, no matter if the phone was off or on. So If I turned my phone back on at 10:03pm, all messages received would show actual times sent not 10:03pm.

My Galaxy s2 use to do this as well until I received one of the Android updates. Maybe it wasn't to ICS, it could have been just an update to gingerbread, but I remember when my S2 stopped doing this. I hated it, but kind of got use to it. With Android that's all you can do, because each update will always come with something slightly changed that is annoying.

My Galaxy s3 and s4 have always shown the time stamp when the message was received and not sent. I still don't like this. Wish they showed time sent myself.

Journeyman

casicum wrote:

Lol ... you are correct Dj_Damjano ... on the samsung galaxy family, the timestamp that you'll see there is the time u received the message.

If you wanna know when the message was sent, just press and hold on that message, and then go for details.

I also lol'ed on the

"I turn my phone (Galaxy SII) off at 4:30pm. (...)This is very bothersome because many of the messages I receive are time sensitive." part .

Actually casicum, you are not 100% correct. The samsung galaxy family has not always shown the timestamp received, it use to show the actual time the message was sent, whether or not your phone was off or on. My Galaxy S and Galaxy S2 use to do this. The Galaxy S2 stopped doing this after an OTA update.

My GS3 and GS4 have always shown the timestamp received not the timestamp sent and if you go to message details, it still only shows when the message was received and not sent.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat