cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S2 issues after update

Journeyman

Galaxy S2 issues after update

This upgrade has gotten on my last nerve. I've been a Sprint customer since the 80's when they were nothing more than a calling card company. For the first time I'm actually thinking about changing services. My phone shuts off and reboots now EVERY time I connect to Wi-Fi. So basically every time I come home, enter work, drive by a place with free Wi-Fi, etc. Apps randomly freeze up, causing me to have to reboot yet again. When I reboot, my battery life goes from showing almost a full charge to being critically low. With regular use, my battery will go from 100% to 0 in about an hour. That's with NO 4G, no navigation, or any of the other stupid questions people ask like I'm a complete idiot and don't know how to operate a phone. I say that because when I recently took my phone in to the Sprint store, those were the EXACT things I was asked when I described my problems. As if they COULDN'T be a result of anything other than my own stupidity. After I assured 3 different people that I have more than a basic understanding of how an electrical device works, especially a cell phone, I was told that the root of all my evil problems was the battery. HUH? Yes, the battery. Even though I explained that I had just purchased 2 new batteries in February for my Wife and I, and that BOTH our phones were experiencing the same issues, I was assured that I had bought bad batteries and new ones would fix the whole thing. Well guess what? After buying 2 new batteries and installing them, charging them, etc....low and behold...Presto!!! Same old crap. Problems ALL still there, nothing fixed.

Now mind you, battery replacement isn't cheap. I purchased 2 new batteries in February, and now 6 months later I was told to buy 2 more to "fix" the problems, which didn't happen. To make matters worse, I see here that others have been having the EXACT same problems. So that means these are KNOWN issues. If these are KNOWN issues, then I feel like I was lied to by the Sprint representatives, just for the sake of making a buck. Neither my phone nor my wife's works like they used to, and I'm out almost $100 to boot. Well my contract is up in 9 days. I have a funny feeling I won't be renewing it. More than likely though, nobody will even care.

Tags (1)
15 REPLIES 15
Journeyman

Re: Galaxy S2 issues after update

I've had a similar problem before with my S2.  Whenever my phone gets a software update the first thing I do is immediately factory reset the phone.  Some app settings or stray files lingering on the phone can cause some problems.  Also would be a good idea if it was a major update (like from ICS to Jelly Bean) to completely reformat your USB storage as well as your SD card if you have one in there.  This makes sure everything stays nice and clean on your phone.  Since both you and your wives are having the same problem I would say it's definately software related and it wouldn't hurt to perform the process I described above.  I will warn though, reformatting USB storage and SD card will delete all pictures, videos, music, or any downloads you haveSo be sure to backup anything like that you want saved.  I know the stores always say to do a factory data reset first thing which can be extremely annoying as it seems like it's their catchall.  But believe it or not it can actually help with problems like this.  If that doesn't work then I suggest you root your phone and install a custom ROM.  Voids your warranty but who cares, your contract is almost up.  I've been due for an upgrade since the beginning of the month but I'm waiting to upgrade until they get 4G LTE here in Cincinnati.  I refuse to give up the unlimited 4G data speeds that I have now for 4G LTE connectivity that I can't use yet on a new phone.  I hope this helps.

Journeyman

Alan is right. Factory resetting is the only solution to the problems. The S2 (any older Androids over the course of 18+ months, really) has terrible terrible fragmenting problems in the memory. Keep in mind, it is NOT Sprints fault. Samsung and Google made the phone/OS. It is a problem of Android's. When you upgrade next, you'll get 4.3 which solves the problem you're having because it will manage the fragmenting problem, where it currently doesn't. I would upgrade to a Galaxy or One, and 4.3 should be pushed to the phones by the end of the year.

You said your contract is almost up: If you had had the S2 on Verizon, ATT or TMobile, it would have given you the EXACT same problems after this long, and the Reps would have given you the EXACT same advise: Buy a battery.

Journeyman

Thank you gentleman for your response. I do understand that my problems are caused by software, which I guess is what ticked me off in the first place. I never even got the recommendation to do a factory reset of the phones. All I got was "Buy more batteries". As with any software upgrades, there are inherent problems. I know that. That's why I usually wait before doing them until all the bugs are worked out. In this case I didn't have a choice. At any rate, I will more than likely be upgrading to an S4 so as to not even have to deal with the issue. Thanks again for your responses and I will keep the factory reset in mind for the future.

Journeyman

No problem! As with any company, just depends on the luck of the draw with you talk to. I used to have that phone so I know how frustrating it can be. It got to the point where I was factory resetting every couple weeks.

The S4, and Android in general, shouldn't have that problem nearly as bad, if at all moving forward. If you have software problems, rapid battery drain etc do a battery pull to reset the phone. As you have the battery out, check to see if it's bloated. I have spun many batteries on a table. They shouldn't spin. THEN you have a battery problem. If it's good and you put it back in and still having problems factory reset. 99% of the time that'll fix software problems.

Tip: when you do a battery pull, Dial a random number first. Could even be 1234. When the call initiates, give it a couple seconds on the timer then pull the battery. Get a nice fresh connection to the network when it comes back on.

Journeyman

I throw my galixy 2 against the concrete wall in my garage 2-3 times a month, the battery comes out easier that way.

After I find all the pieces and put it all back together it works fine.

It not only repairs the phone but it also stress relief.

The $8.00 for the insurance is money well spent

Journeyman

I still have an S2 also, contract up in couple months .......No LTE in area, not sure the slowing data rates in my area will keep me on sprint.  Mine has killed 3 or 4 batteries... latest battery lasted 4 months, maybe, and bloated, all my batteries have bloated. The phone causes the battery problem... ever since the update to ICS my phones battery life has sucked!!  Thought JB would help but no change.  I did a factory reset couple months ago and it only helped for a few days. Have not tried reformatting everything though...  pain in the rear to have to go thru and save everything to external source to do a reformat.  I feel your pain... wish there was a patch for this problem

Journeyman

LMAO@Stony. I have to admit that I've come close many times to tossing this thing against the wall. Good thing my Wife has been the voice of reason. Speaking to a few of my friends who have the same problem, it would seem this issue can't and won't be resolved with a factory reset. Not unless you can just go back to the original OS. The processor just isn't built to handle JB. They have done everything, up to and including the reset and it only helps short term. The only real way to "fix" it is to upgrade. I don't mind doing an upgrade since my contract is up, but maybe the "powers that be" should have thought this out before hand. Or....maybe they did and it's a means to get people to spend more money on an upgrade. Truth of the matter is, I loved my phone before the update and never would have needed another phone. Kind of makes me wonder.

Highlighted
Journeyman

RONINGTO,

Thanks for the post! I see that you got some great info from ALAN_A, and HardReset. Let us know how things worked out and keep us updated. We are here to answer any questions and or concerns you may have! Thanks.

Lucia

Social Care

Journeyman

I began having problems with my galaxy s2 About 2 weeks ago. It started giving error messages saying charging paused, voltage too high. Then it would shut down randomly, then it wouldn't hold a charge. The last straw was when it looked like it was charging, I would go to sleep and then when I woke up it was totally dead! I took it to the sprint store...what a joke!! The first time they had it an hour and a half and when I went back the guy said, it seems to be charging, it must be your charger. He suggested I bring the charger in the next day. The phone had only charged to 19% in all that time and was dead by the time I got home. I took it back the next day and explained what was happening to a different tech, but she wasn't listening and just said ok give me an hour. After the hour I went back expecting my phone to be fixed, but instead she said I think you have too many apps running so I am going to do a factory reset and that will fix your problem! I was relieved. Also take into consideration that they had taken my phone apart numerous times during this time. After waiting in the store for almost 2 hours she comes back to the counter and says look here and shows me 2 squares on the inside of the phone. The smaller of the 2 had a little blue spot on it, the other larger square that had x's on it was totally clear. She said the little one should look just like the bigger one and she walked away saying, there is moisture in the phone so your warranty is void. I said WHAT! My phone has never been wet. She said well the strip doesn't lie. She went on to say, you can pay $100 and get a refurbished phone. I know this is an issue with this phone and I feel as if I am being scammed by Sprint. I should get a phone for free and not another s2 because of the known issues. On the Sprint forum there are so many posts about the exact same issue and even after some have opted for a refurbished phone, within a few days they have the same problem!! So after being a loyal customer for 12 years, I get treated like crap and am without a phone. I have 4 lines right now and feel as if Sprint just doesn't care at all!!! Then I call sprint tech line and am told I can send the phone in, but if they find water damage, they will send me a new phone and charge my account the full price of a new one!!!! This is ridiculous. I wouldn't pay $5 for another s2!! If anyone knows a way to get this resolved, please let me know. My email is [Email Removed] Thank you

Message was edited by: TheModerator - Removed email address - This is a public forum.  To protect your privacy, please do not post any personal information including phone numbers, full address, email address, or account number and/or PIN.

Journeyman

I also had a similar problem with my s2 awhile back and I got the run around with sprint just like you did about it.  My phone would say it was charging and it wasn't and would shut off randomly just like yours.  I take it in and they say my phone is water damaged because the charging port has some corrosion on the contacts and that I have to file an insurance claim to get another phone.  Obviously this doesn't work for me because the phone has never been in or near water.  I live in Ohio which can get pretty humid during the summer so I attribute that fact to the "Water damage".  I ended up taking it to a different repair center and the people there were much more helpful.  The tech there actually took my phone apart and cleaned the corrosion off of my port.  After that it worked good as new.  I know there is all kinds of s2 bashing going on which is fine, the phone is getting old and is incredibly outdated.  One thing I think a lot of people forget is that at one time this phone was top of the line worldwide.  This phone helped set the standard that all subsequent phones from all companies could be measured against.  Unfortunately neither Sprint or Samsung supported this once great device to the extent that they should have in the form of updates and bug fixes to keep it a useful and functioning device.  I've said it numerous places on this forum that absolutely no one should buy Sprint's insurance.....PERIOD!  I suggest everybody purchase their phones from Best Buy and purchase their insurance.  It's 2 dollars more a month and covers water and accidental damage.  Drop your phone in a bucket of water and smash it with a hammer.  Take it in and you get a new phone.  Can't beat it.  If you are unhappy with your s2 I also recommend trying a custom ROM.  There are all sorts of different ROMS out there for this phone that offer tons in regard to look, feel, and performance of the phone.  I wouldn't worry about it voiding your warranty because most of these phones are out of their warranty period anyway.  I can't wait to upgrade but I'll be continuing to rock my s2 until 4g lte comes to Cincinnati....whenever that may be.  Also in regards to protecting your phone from getting water damage, get a defender series otterbox case for it.  They have port flaps that do a great job of keeping everything sealed up.....plus you'll get more money when it comes time to trade it in because your phone will look brand spankin new.

Journeyman

Thanks for your input. I only have 1 sprint store/repair store near where I live and the people who work there know very little about this issue and because she said moisture damage...she voided my warranty and said I would have to pay and get a refurbished phone. I don't have and extra $100 lying around nor will I in the future so I am out of luck all the way around. I have to have a phone for work so my job is in jeopardy also. Sprint will never get anymore business from me or my family once my contracts are up in a year and a half!! In the mean time I am stuck paying for a phone that is totally useless as it won't even turn on now

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat