cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having problems? Stop complaining and replace your battery!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Having problems? Stop complaining and replace your battery!

Whether or not there are issues with Sprint's or Samsung's implemetation of Android on these phones, I don't know. What I can tell you is that a new battery made all of the difference in the world for me.

Ever since the initial ICS update, I've had problems with my phone. Poor battery life, high temps, and later, random reboots. I happened to be searching around Amazon one day and came across a battery review from someone who stated that he was having the same issues I was. He also stated that his battery had a slight bulge in it - evidence of a bad cell. Once he replaced his battery, everything worked properly again.

So I took out my battery and placed it on a flat surface and tried to spin it (a battery that spins freely has a bulge.) First side, no spin. Second side, spin. I had a bad battery. So I paid $18 and ordered a new battery from a REPUTABLE seller on Amazon. (I can't stress REPUTABLE enough - there are fake/bad batteries out there, so be cautious.)

Once I got the new battery, I now enjoy a full day of life - if I am in a location where I receive a signal all day, I can still have 60%+ life remaining by the time I go to bed. I don't get random reboots and I don't hate my phone like I used to. Does the radio suck? Yes. Do I have to turn off WiFi and GPS and then turn them back on in order to lock a signal again? Yes. But those are relatively minor compared to having a phone that would die after a few hours. I'm no longer concerned whether or not my phone will stay charged long enough for me to go out and do something.

Also, and this is important, DO NOT constantly charge your phone! Let it get as low as possible before recharging it. Batteries have a set number of charge cycles - if you constantly plug in your phone, you will kill your battery before its expected end of life. Letting your battery drain naturally will help keep it healthy.

I don't know if Android, the phone, bad batteries, or bad charging habits killed my initial battery (and are causing problems for others) but a new battery and proper maintenance seems to be doing the trick for me now.

Good luck!

5 REPLIES 5
Wizard

Re: Having problems? Stop complaining and replace your battery!

ERICBEESON

Thank you so much for posting such helpful information from an actual user. Replacing an old/defective battery may be the fix some people haven't explored yet. We appreciate your feedback and tips!

Ruth E

Social Care Team

Journeyman

I've replaced my battery twice, once from Amazon and once from Sprint. For a few weeks my phone did act right but then started having all the same problems again. If I don't plug my phone in my phone will constantly go to sleep and wake up until the battery dies.

Hopefully your battery will fix your problems for good and not a few weeks like mine did.

Journeyman

Have you tried removing apps? You might have one that is constantly running and stopping your phone from sleeping. Before I did the battery swap (it's been over a month, so far, so good), I removed all my apps to see if they were the cause. I did note that in doing so, some of them were stopping the phone from entering a Deep Sleep. Not all apps are well written, so things like that happen - I know my wife's Facebook app is constantly keeping her phone awake.

Also, I turn off my Wi-Fi and GPS unless I need to use them - it probably doesn't matter much, but I figure that if I don't need to constantly ping satellites, I could probably squeeze some extra life out of my battery.

Finally, how is the signal strength where you normally have your phone? I work in a basement, so my reception is terrible, and my phone is constantly searching for a signal. Maybe that is contributing to your problem?

I hate to bring this up, because it is a pain, but have you done a complete wipe and reinstall? There might be something in the OS that is misconfigured and causing issues (happens with desktop OSes as well, sometimes.) It's just easier to wipe it rather than try to find the root cause.

Master

ERICBEESON wrote:

Also, and this is important, DO NOT constantly charge your phone! Let it get as low as possible before recharging it. Batteries have a set number of charge cycles - if you constantly plug in your phone, you will kill your battery before its expected end of life. Letting your battery drain naturally will help keep it healthy.

Good luck!

This is only partially correct. Lithium-Ion Polymer batteries do have a limited number of charge cycles. However Lithium-Ion Polymer works on a full cahrge cycle. So for example, unlike older batteries like NiCAD and NiMH batteries that either had a "memory" or would count a partial cahrge as one cycle, Lithium-Ion Polymer batteries will count a partial charge as a partial charge.

So for instance a Li-Ion battery has about 10,000 charge cycles on average, a 25% charge-up would count as .25 of one cycle, these are cummulative. In addition, batteries naturally use overall charge capacity over time. This is why batteries are usually only warranted for a year by the manufacturer (if at all). They naturally will lose capacity over time, and the more they are used, the faster that will occur. Never expect an older battery to work as well as a new battery, chances are it will not. This is also why many batteries have "best by" dates, they naturally lose capacity and that's the point the manufacturer believes that enough capacity is lost to warrant that warning.

That being said, Li-Ion batteries "like" being fully charged. They do not like being depleted or running low. So you need to try and keep a balance between keeping the battery charged and letting it get low. Having it plugged in ALL the time likely will cause hte overall ambient temperature in the battery to be higher, potentially leading to bloating

Cheap batteries likely will also have bad performance. Capacity may be the same, but actual power output may not be smooth/stable and could cause power spikes. Your phone has a very limited ability to deal with a power surge. This is also why the retail stores are not allowed to test 3rd-party batteries. Sprint does not know where they came from, the manufacturing process used, or the quality of the components; they could cause damage to the testing equipment. With batteries, weight is a very good indication of quality. Lithium is an expensive precious metal, and as such cheaper batteries likely will try and put as little and as low quality as possible in a battery to save money and in turn sell them cheaper.

Journeyman

Last month I began having all the problems listed in these threads but was too busy to have it looked at.

Two days ago, it took a turn for the worse, dropping calls and shutting off with random battery readings, full/empty, empty, plug in to show nearly full, shutting off - all of the symptoms.

When I tried to use it, all it would do was turn on then off, I took the battery out and noticed a bulge. 

Today I installed a new battery and the phone, at this juncture, appears to be working perfectly again. However, I'm concerned because another user in another section of these forums had these same issues a month ago, replaced the battery and while it was fixed temporarily, the symptoms resurface only a month later.

Although I purchased another spare and I understand batteries can go bad, I am hoping this lasts more than one month. If it is caused by an update, it will go sooner than later. If I don't get another year out of the new battery, will take the forum discussions I printed from here and approach Sprint/Samsung for a legitimate fix or a new phone.

Since I'm paying a small fortune for my family to have service and tied into two more years, this will be a big issue for me if I keep having problems.  We should not be expected tolerate what appears to be a chronic problem tied to the manufacturer/update/battery quality, whatever it is, not our fault. They don't budge when a phone issue is our fault, we shouldn't budge when it's theirs. Both companies need to stand behind their product and Sprint should go to bat for us since they have chosen Samsung as a product line they offer.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat