cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch

Journeyman

I think the GPS problem is both software and hardware related.  Not being able to lock on to satellites without restarting the phone is a software issue.  Dropping lock quicky and not seeing as many satellites as my wife HTC Evo 3d is a hardware issue, IMO.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch

I agree regarding the GPS quality (which is a software issue).

To get around this, go to the market and install "GPS Status". This tool gets a lock within 15 seconds usually (cold) and will force the cache to clear. Then open Google Maps and boom, you are there.

Edit: Not my software either. Just happened to have it installed and noticed it worked well.

Journeyman

I just got the update and my gps now is worse. This is ridiculous on a $200 phone. I was torn between I4s and this, wtf? The Sprint guys in the store al had this phone, I went in today and they said a fix is coming. I heard that about my lg  which was messed up for 6 months and a fix never came. Does Sprint just sell crappy phones from their vendors withno oversight?

Journeyman

ok just powered down and phone and started up again and gps fixed and seems to work.

Journeyman

Well... after going round and round and round with telephone customer service, and in-store techs... trying to be patiently optimistic about seeing resolution with the absolutely horrible GPS performance in my new Epic -- I got completely brick walled by Sprint's "resolution manager" earlier this evening. All this talk about "you won't get stuck with a phone that doesn't perform to certain standards" and "try this" and "try that" boiled down to them actually admitting this brand new, top of the line Epic 4g Touch has a KNOWN GPS antennae issue that for some reason... I should have known about as part of MY due diligence in researching prior to my purchase. He literally said (when comparing the Epic's GPS functions between current smartphones) "it's like buying a Ford Focus and expecting it to drive as fast as a Ferrari on the Autobahn". So I should have expected to have a horrible GPS antennae in my brand new top-of-the-line smartphone?! All I could do was laugh at him. Such horse honkey. My wife's iPhone KILLS the Epic in terms of GPS. It is laughable. "Your current location is temporarily unavailable" says my Epic. Meanwhile her phone has GPS locked to within 5 meters CONSISTANTLY.

Completely unsatisfied to say the least.

Journeyman

Iif u download gps test it will show you where you get the best fixes. If you atent getting one move the device to another location lile a foot or two away.  Lay it flat on the surface not in your hand or in your pocket because it won't work. I can get locks now but not when the phone is in certain spots.

Journeyman

I spoke too soon.  Sadly, I must have just had some temporary good luck after the update.  After a few more days, I can only conclude that nothing was actually changed.  To use GPS on the Samsung Expensive ... urr, Samsung Epic Touch, it is only possible after first using GPS Test, Clear AGPS, Update AGPS, then switch back to Google Maps.  Just launching Google Maps alone rarely, if ever, works.  And the reprehensible bloatware TeleNav GPS Navigator ... well, it essentially never gets a fix, even if Google Maps somehow manages to after going through the GPS test steps.  So, great user interface.  That's what we were expecting with the MOST EXPENSIVE phone Sprint sells. 

Journeyman

Ok, I admit I am a bit obsessed with this problem ... but I found something which has significantly improved the problem on my Epic Touch.  We had been discussing/blogging the downloaded program "GPS Test" and doing the clear and update AGPS.  That is not a good fix for the problem.  However, using a different Android tool, GPS Status ... has done wonders for my phone at least.  Run GPS Status, Select 'Tools' ... then 'Manage A-GPS state' ... then 'Reset' ...

This worked wonders.  This program shows 'time to lock' and now I routinely get 3 to 6 seconds, and it has been this way for several days.  Just using the AGPS resets with 'GPS Test' (the previously discussed program) was not actually working for me in many situations ... but with this different program, things are now working nicely. 

Your mileage may vary, but I strongly recommend giving this a try.

This strongly suggests that the most serious problem is, indeed, with software.  Sure, the GPS receiver may be a bit weak, but if I can make my phone function well for days at a time by doign the 'Reset' in 'Manage A-GPS state' with GPS Status, it should be possible to imbed this in the kernel or firmware and accomplish the same thing. 

Sprint ... is anyone listening???

Journeyman

Thanks I will give it a try.  I have to power cycle the phone each time if I want to use a GPS app.  I also noticed that by turning on the "Use sensor aiding", the GPS gets a slightly better accuracy, I am not so far off the road.  The GPS receiver still sucks compared to my wife HTC Evo 3D.

Journeyman

I was amazed to find that downloading A-GPS data only gets GPS working temporarily, even when GPS is continuously used.  'Open GPS Tracker' works for only a couple of hours before GPS stops working again.  This phone's new name is the Samsung 4G Epic Fail.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.