cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch

Journeyman

Re: How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch

Joe, You should change you title to "THIS IS HOW I GET A GPS FIX EVERYTIME!!!!!".  If it was that simple I don't we would be constantly complaint about it.

Journeyman

Joe, with this third phone, I can more or less get a GPS lock as you described. Although, I never get a lock that fast unless I'm outside in full view of the sky.  Right now, I'm following your procedure, same settings, same steps, phone is laying flat, and the GPS light has been blinking for over a minute, no lock.  Not even a single satellite visible on GPS Test.  I can jump through hoops and reset agps and all that nonsense, and eventually get a lock.

The problem is, getting a GPS lock and actually being able to use the GPS reliably and consistantly are two different things.  Read my post above, about losing GPS mid-trip.  It doesn't matter that I got a lock before I started, if it goes out while I'm driving, I'm completely screwed.  Unfortunately, I don't always know where I'm supposed to go.... If I did, I wouldn't need the GPS in the first place.  And trying to get the GPS lock while you're driving is an accident waiting to happen.

And I know, if I need a GPS that much then get a reliable one.  But I don't accept that - this phone is the top of the line, best android phone they have according to Sprint.  And it's GPS doesn't work nearly as well as my previous phones.  With my previous phones, I did not have to worry about losing signal mid trip.  They just worked.  It's not too much to ask from this current flagship phone in the year 2012.

Journeyman

jimmygr02, I’m sorry to hear about your issues with your phone’s GPS.  Have you tried using GPS Status & Toobox (EclipSim) instead of GPS Test (Chartcross Limited)?  I used to use GPS Test but switched to GPS Status & Toolbox when I found out it could reset the phone's GPS cache and download the aGPS almanac data.

Here is the market link for the app:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxL...

GPS Status & Toolbox  allows you to reset the GPS cache and download aGPS almanac data through the following process (Menu->Tools->Manage aGPS Data, select 'Reset' and then repeat the steps and select "Download' to download the aGPS almanac data) to help your GPS get almanac data on the satellites.

http://blog.photoframd.com/2011/02/09/gps-problems-on-your-samsung-galaxy-s-android-phone-try-this/

Before I plan on using the GPS on my phone for running (Runkeeper) or Navigation (Google Navigation with the blue arrowhead app icon), I always use GPS Status to ensure that I get a good lock on my phone (usually 1 - 6 meters of error).  I have a very high success rate of getting a good GPS lock within 10 seconds, especially on a clear day, whether indoors or outdoors and I don’t find it much of an inconvenience to turn on the phone’s GPS, launch GPS Status & Toolbox and confirm a good GPS lock, exit out of the app and launch the Navigation app (Perhaps you can turn on your phone’s GPS and use GPS Status to get a lock daily to keep the almanac data current on your phone).

Under Settings->GPS & Sensors ->Auto-download AGPS data you can select to automatically download the latest data when GPS Status is run (download if older than 1 hour, 6 hours, 1 day, etc.).  aGPS data age is displayed in the lower left corner of the app until you get a GPS fix.

Some users have also toggled the Sensor Filtering to “No Filtering” instead of the default “Weak” filtering to get a quicker GPS fix.   Here’s a thread about this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-1230637.html

On the rare instance that I’m having a GPS lock issue, the final solution for me is to reboot the phone and repeat the process of getting a GPS lock again, and fortunately it has always worked for me.   Some users have also recommended going to Menu->Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->All tabs and clicking on Google Maps and Network Location and clearing the Cache data.

Here are some more threads on the Galaxy S2 (International) advocating the use of GPS Status & Toolbox as well.  Also, some users reported the use of encryption affecting the phone’s GPS and toggling Credential Storage to resolve the issue.

“Originally Posted by danonhThen I found a setting under Menu > Settings > Location and Security > Credential Storage called "Use secure credentials". Once I checked this and entered my password, I tried the GPS again and IT WORKED!!!”

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-international/349619-poor-gps-signal-galaxy-s2.html

http://androidforums.com/2918122-post88.html

My girlfriend’s new Samsung Epic 4G Touch has not had any GPS lock issues so far, especially since I always use GPS Status & Toolbox beforehand, and the phone has no issues getting a very good GPS lock indoors or outdoors.  I hope this information helps somehow!

Edit: Your phone had GPS lock and was working for a while until it stopped working.  Was it cloudy at that time?  For some reason it seems to have been unable to get a lock again and going through the routine of launching GPS Status, deleting and resetting the GPS cache and downloading the aGPS almanac data may have helped at that location.

Journeyman

I DLed the GPS status application you were talking about almost immediately after noticing the GPS problem.  I cleared agps, but it did nothing in my situation. Maybe there are a multiple of issues surrounding the gps. I have come to the conclusion my problem is the antenna itself. For some reason it gets no signal while in hand unless I physically hold the back of the phone to the sky. Maybe its also a location issue because once I get the lock here I am fine with the exception of two places. Once locked I a free to roam about as I choose without fear of loosing the GPS signal. I also found out about the Credential storage problem with the gps soon after I noticed my troubles, but in my case I use a visual lock where you connect the dots for a pattern. When you use the pattern there is not credential storage option available its grayed out. I am not holding my breath on them issuing a fix. I have seen friends on the newer leaked versions of the Samsung Epic 4g Touch OS and none of them showed improvements to the GPS. Funny how no official Sprint rep has chimed in on this thread yet. Also makes me think it wont get addressed any time soon if ever. 

Journeyman

EL29 fixed mt GPS porblems - perfect lock every time

Journeyman

Rech ... Is this the update from EK02?  When was it pushed down to you?  Anyone know how to force it to upgrade, without having to wait?

Journeyman

yes it's the update fro EK02 - no way to force an upgrade. Just have to wait. Should not be more than another couple days at most

Journeyman

There are discussion here

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/391679#391679

about how horrible, unstable, and disabling update EL30 is ... 

Journeyman

I've had the EL29 update for almost a week now.  It does NOT help....  At least it didn't help my phone.

Journeyman

I agree with you on that Jimmy EL29 is no different. Just a new modem probably. Whoever said there was an improvement for the GPS is a lucky one, becuase it was not intended to fix gps. Makes no difference on mine. After some searching all this update did was removed carrier IQ, it did something to the calendar alerts and activated something called Commercial Alert System. Nothing major in this update folks moving right along.

Journeyman

You can look on youtube to find out how to manualy install it, but I advise against it for obvious resons (warranty). If I were you I would just wait. Samsung does not let you ping the servers like HTC for the updates. Updates rolls out in waves, and it sux to be at the back of the wave.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have been going CRAZY over this GPS not locking in nonsense!  This is supposed to be one of Sprint's superphones but it can't even get me from point A to point B. I have tried GPS Status, FixGPS and a few other market apps to try to rectifiy the problem but all for nothing.  I have even done factory resets.  Nothing helps this garbage getting a GPS lock!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat