cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch

Highlighted
Journeyman

How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch

If you have trouble getting a GPS fix on your Epic 4g Touch. I am going to give you a few tips I find that gets the signal to lock faster. From my trouble shooting it seems like you can not have the phone in your hand. If you place the phone on a flat surface and do not move it chances are better it will get a gps fix. If the phone takes too long in one spot try moving it a few feet to the left or the right. I find that every time I pick the phone up the GPS signal drops drastically. Even though I can get it to lock the accuracy is never within 50 feet its usually 200 or so feet. You can also try using an app from the market called GPS test. GPS test will allow you to see how many satellites the phone sees, and how strong the connection is between the phone and the satellites. Hope this info helps anyone who is having problems with their GPS.

For those that do not know; location can be found via 3g, 4g or wifi but gps is accurate down to street level. Location is a relative position this is why Google maps can tell you your area without the GPS being on, but for voice navigation to work there must be a GPS signal.

147 REPLIES 147
Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm trying to convince my daughter to trade phones with me.  She has an EVO with much better GPS performance, but really doesn't use the GPS.  I on the other hand would use it, and the Epic 4G Touch GPS is bantha fodder. 

Unfortunately, she's heard me complain about this phone so much she is reluctant to make the trade!  She wants the EVO over the flagship Sprint Android Galaxy S2 phone!  Haha, it makes me laugh.  It's funny.  But also not funny 😕

Highlighted
Master

JOE-Gotti wrote:

You can look on youtube to find out how to manualy install it, but I advise against it for obvious resons (warranty). If I were you I would just wait. Samsung does not let you ping the servers like HTC for the updates. Updates rolls out in waves, and it sux to be at the back of the wave.

HTC uses their own update distribution system that they manage. Samsung chooses to go the route as most other manufacturers. They utilize Google's GOTA (Google Over The Air) Android update system. With GOTA the updates are rolled out randomly to handsets over the course of 10 days. Each day another group of device serial numbers is added to the allowed list. It is not necessarily 10% added per day, but by the end of 10 days 100% of devices will be eligible to update.

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Like many of you I had the gps issue as well from day one. I tried every fix suggested including praying. EK02 and the recent EL29 updates didn't work either. Finally I took it into a Sprint store and had them replace mine with another unit. Walked out the store and presto got an instant gps lock. Not only did it lock quickly but it was actually accurate. I thought it was a fluke at first so over the next few days I conducted several test in different location and each time it worked perfectly.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am on my third phone, having had Sprint replace it twice.  This third one is marginally better than the last two.  Have you tested it with navigation?  Getting a lock and actually using the GPS for something are two different things.  Mine locks ok outside usually.  Not inside.  But using it for real gps navigation, driving trips and such, I've found it to be very unreliable.  It may lock and stay locked for half a trip, then lose lock mid-trip resulting in me getting lost until I drive around aimlessly waiting for it to lock again.  It's just not feasible to use this phone if you need gps navigation.  Hopefully, you have better results with your replacement.

Highlighted
Journeyman

What is everyone complaining about? This phone simply doesn't have a GPS in it period. That's the conclusion I've come to. Never buying a[....] device again. Cheap plastic crap with buggy software, useless hardware and gorgeous screens. Not a whole lot of use for a pretty screen when the stuff under it doesn't work. I have had this plastic toy crash on me during calls, have had sd card mounting issues after a lot of random crashes. And, like mentioned here already the GPS doesn't work. I have let it sit for minutes on end with no lock at all sometimes even outdoors. I could use custom Roms but then what did Sammy get paid for.

Message was edited by: mapesy

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think I've found the answer. I've taken back one phone already and the new one worked great then about a month  later I have the same problem with the gps. I was so mad  and once again I found myself reading every forum with complaints about the super weak gps samsung shoved in ths galaxy s2.... anyways  I found that turning the phone on to airplane mode for a few seconds then switching the phone back to normal and the gps works perfectly this has worked every time for me so far

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Yes I tested nav using both telenav and google nav and maps it works. No more waiting for a lock and intermitten freeze.  I consider myself lucky at this point since so many others are having issues even after getting a replacement unit. As far as I'm concern Sprint and Samsung have totally botched the user experience of this phone. I have friends and family on att and tmobile who have the GS2  phones and they don't experience any gps issues except for sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

A big thank you to RSTEK! I tried all the fixes and nothing worked.....turned on Airplane mode for a few seconds and then off....waalllaaa! GPS signal finally!! And it only takes 5-10 seconds to lock on!! I have the ET 4g with the el29 update also..this was done inside my house while holding it in my hands! I agree with most posters....you should not have to lay this phone on a table and wait for it to pick up a signal. This phone obviously has a software issue somewhere....some ET 4G phones may have hardware probs. but a small percentage for sure. Also...my ET 4g gps worked great for months with no problems and has had trouble connecting for the last month until finally it would not connect at all....airplane mode did the trick though.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too have a pos gps device & am very frustrated. I had the original epic (slider) that I liked very much, the gps worked fantastic even for golf gps apps. then came the eclair or maybe it was the gingerbread update & ever since the gps was very erradict. I upgraded (I thought) to the epic touch thinking that it would be better & for a while it was but now 7 weeks later this thing is a joke & has to be rebooted constanly. Some times it will have Me in other states hundreds of miles away. I do have gps turned on with all three boxes checkes! even when rebooting it takes a long time to get lock & when it does get locked the accuracy is never better than 18-25'. I've tried what RSTEK prescribed to NO avail.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Like many others, my Sept 2011 Galaxy S2's GPS worked fine for many months, then the firmware updates came and it's gotten worse and worse. The Airplane Mode trick doesn't work for me, but powering off for a minute or so, then powering back up did the trick, no battery removal necessary. Locks on in a few seconds. Not sure if this will always work for me let alone you, but it's a pretty simple workaround to try. These devices are so freakin' sophisticated with hastily written firmware (with poor memory/data management) that you prolly need to reboot at least once a week anyway. Clearing data caches in the Application Management area is prolly a good idea to do twice a year. It's prolly no coincidence that these problems are worsening 4+ months into our GS2's use, and why others have reported the same problems with new/refurb'ed GS2s after several month's use.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I like my E4GT a lot, but I also have had a difficult time with the GPS on this handset.  2 weeks ago  my BF and I were on our way to a FUNERAL and were trying to use my GPS to get directions.  I waited for several minutes and was never able to get a signal.  Maps and Telenav both had trouble; we ended up having to use my BF's work phone to get the directions we needed.  This is my second E4GT handset, and the first one had the same issues.  I almost wish I never upgraded from my Motorola Photon; it might not have had the bling of the E4GT, but my MoPho had ironclad cellular reception and GPS.  I am at the point that I might end up buying another MoPho off of eBay and selling this thing off!

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is extremely frustrating... and I will definitely share my negative frustrations towards Sprint and the Galaxy S2 with everyone I meet.....

And I have been with Sprint for over 12 years.

Does anyone out there know if this obvious CONSISTENT issue with GPS not working on the GS2 will be addressed ?  SPRINT ? SPRINT ? SAMSUNG ? SAMSUNG ?  BUELLER ?  BUELLER ?

I have spent the last month trying every trick there is posted - from every blog - forum - youtube - internet site - etc.... with no positive results - there is no FIX.  I finally broke down and just ordered a new Galaxy S2 Epic Touch and now I'm having the exact same problem with the new one also.  I can not get a GPS lock..... the GPS just keeps flashing and blinking and flashing and blinking.  This is a complete lack of responsibility and false advertising on Sprint's part - to offer and sell a phone  - while stating that it has GPS functions on it while knowing that it doesn't work on the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G.  Maybe if they spent more time on the phones actual functions, rather than coming up with names for it we would have a working GPS on our $600 device.  Is it even worth waiting for Ice Cream Sandwich ?  Is the ICS upgrade going to fix this problem ?  Or should I just go with another provider in spite of Sprints lack of accountablility to this issue.  I thought the GS2 was supposed to be Sprints superior Flagship device and we don't even have a working GPS on it.  I have had every high end phone that Sprint has offered over the years = Evo / Evo 3d / Photon / Iphone / Galaxy S / Moment / Instinct / X-pert etc... all of which had a perfectly functioning GPS, why then does the GPS on the Top of the line Galaxy S II not work.  I am down right ANGRY.  And to top it off, no one from Sprint even acknowledges the issue so many of us have.....

HEY SPRINT, CAN'T YOU SEE THAT THERE HAS BEEN ALMOST 23 THOUSAND VIEWS OF THIS POST..... your customers are looking for solutions..... how about some HELP.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat