cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch

Journeyman

Re: How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch

here is what i have tried recently and it seems.to work fine so far.  swirtch to airplane mode for a few seconds, i usually do it for about 4-5 seconds. turn the airplane mode off and open up gps test app from the market. clear agps and then refresh agps, usually i get a fix as soon as the agps is refreshed or shortly thereafter. hope this works for some of you that are having gps problems.

Journeyman

These tips and tricks aren't useful because it's a hardware failure.  Rebooting the phone, refreshing AGPS, and other voodoo helps after the GPS receiver has failed but still receiving something; it may give it a few more dB of signal to noise margin.  You can find similar stories online about getting another month of GPS life from the phone by rooting it and upgrading the firmware.

When my phone was new and when it returned from the first repair, it could quickly lock on to 9 or 10 satellites.  After a couple of weeks that dropped to 5-7.  A couple more weeks and it needed rebooting and AGPS refreshing to see 4. Two more weeks and it could see only flickers of satellites.  My phone is back at Samsung for a second time to be repaired.  (They replaced an unspecified component on the first repair.)

Journeyman

Ya I must be one of the lucky ones. My epic touch gps is flawless. I wonder if people are putting the phone on the dashboard under the window. I use mine there all the time and I get a lock in 5 to 10 seconds. I did purchase my phone the first day it came out.

Journeyman

I too have this issue and its annoying. I don't think its hardware related since restarting thephone works. WTF SPRINT!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

The GPS issues are not a Sprint problem they are a Samsung problem and have been for a long time.  Before you go bashing Sprint please read up on issues that Sprint does not have control over oh a phone they do NOT MAKE. 

Now after saying that the ICS update should/could very well fix a few of the issues with GPS that people are having however the update is not yet ready.  But even so there are other ways to try and fix the problem but again this is a Samsung issue not Sprints.

Journeyman

Sprint sells the phone, Sprint takes money for the phone, Sprint rebrands software on the phone, and Sprint controls what runs on the phone.  This is absolutely a Sprint problem and I'm pissed that Sprint tells their customers to talk to Samsung.  Sprint should stop selling crappy Samsungs and help people switch to models that work.  It's called customer service and it's what Sprint should have done if they wanted me to keep me as a customer.  Between Sprint's overloaded network and Samsung's bad hardware, I have a phone that is very expensive and very useless.

Journeyman

Actually this is not a Sprint problem since Sprint does not control the modems and the "hardware" that Samsung uses.  Rebranding a phone and adding software Samsung actually does that themselves as well since Sprint pretty much gives them a list of things they want and Samsung does it.  Look at ANY of the beta roms that have ever been released they all come with Pre loaded Sprint software it's not Sprint that does it Samsung does it themselves per Sprints guidelines.  As I said while Sprint does sell the phone it's up to Samsung to get the GPS working without issues Sprint can make requests but it's Samsungs lack of having it work 100% of the time that is the problem.  I'm lucky my GPS works period it's never been an issue My frined also just got his E4GT this past weekend and has Zero issues with his GPS even before rooting the device and dropping on a custom rom for him.  If it was in fact a Sprint issue as most people want to believe then it would not be select (yet quite a few people) having the issue it would be every single person but that is not the case. 

It's up to Sprint as well as customers to sit there and get on Samsung to fix their GPS issues.  The blame however does not fall fully on Sprint and it should not since a lot of people do have working GPS.  Like I said the blame would fall to Sprint if it was every single phone which is NOT the case.  Do I agree that it needs to be fixed?  Yes I do I've seen phones that are messed up and I've tried my best to fix them as I can and sometimes it works other times it does not.  But sitting there and putting the blame soley on Sprint is not the right choice since they can not control the hardware that Samsung uses.  We can argue this all you want but the end result is still the facts this is a Samsung modem/chipset issue which THEY need to work on for US phones Sprint can not control that part of the phone as Samsung uses what they do. 

Journeyman

yea..ACTUALLY it is sprints problem....no other SGSII on any other carrier has this issue...go do a search on it.....this is a sprint issue with sprint branded SGSII's

if it was a common issue how come you don't see it on the ATT or Tmobile version genius?

Journeyman

GSM vs CDMA ie If Vzn actually did get the phone since Samsungs CDMA modems pretty much "suck" they would be having the issue as well.  Samsung has always had pretty bad CDMA hardware/software this is a known thing their GSM versions are better.  So again this falls to Samsung not Sprint.  I do my research I don't just sit here and spit out jiberish the fact is this is Samsungs issue again like I said if it was "Sprint" then Every single SGS2 would not have working GPS the fact that a lot of them do actually have working GPS shows that Sprint is not the root cause of the problem but Samsung is in general.

Journeyman

GPS is different from the modem chip [...]...go troll somewhere else. People are here with actual issues. [...]

GPS receiver in cell phones is often built into the system SoC, not with the modem

again, you do no research and try to play down real issues customers are having.

Message was edited by: mapesy

Journeyman

it's a software issue for sure, not a hardware issue. The GPS does work after a fresh restart....but something goes wrong later on requiring you to restart in order to make it work. Makes it a software problem

Journeyman

Actually not trolling.  Oh and btw if that was the case then why is it that most of the people that run custom roms and HAVE had GPS issues have used the newest modems from the Samsung ICS leaks and now have working GPS?  [...]

Edit.

Also I wasn't playing down the issue in the least.  I even said it was an issue as I've seen it personally and I've even tried to help get it working so how is that downplaying something? [....] What I did say however was that I've not had the issue yet I've seen it with my own eyes.  [...]

Good day

Message was edited by: mapesy

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat