cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch

Journeyman

Re: How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch

exactly genius...its a software issue...and it can be fixed....and sprint is sitting there twiddling their thumbs

you just proved yoruself wrong

the new modem drivers are software related..not hardware...this is something sprint can fix...they are the ones that design the modem drivers...

i dont understand why are you in this thread if you aren't having this issue then?

Highlighted
Journeyman

The modem controls what the hardware does [...] thanks for proving that you don't know anything about cell phones.  And no it's not something "Sprint" can fix as THEY do not MAKE the modem Samsung does and no Sprint does not design the modem drivers Samsung does period all Sprint has to give them is the frequency that they are running on for their cell towers and Samsung does the rest.  [....] As for me being in the thread I've posted work arounds that have helped others actually get GPS to work without a required reboot [...] O.o [..]

Message was edited by: mapesy

Journeyman

its a software issue...and it can be fixed....and sprint is sitting there twiddling their thumbs you just proved yoruself wrong the new modem drivers are software related..not hardware...this is something sprint can fix....they are the ones that design the modem drivers along with samsung as a team... i dont understand why are you in this thread if you aren't having this issue then?

the modem driver is software that controls the hardware, hence software related.

Master

pdesai82

I recently rejected a post created by you in this forum thread for its tone and treatment of community members. Please review the community guidelines for proper posting behavior.

mapesy

Journeyman

I saw that. I don't understand how my post is inflammatory?

"its a software issue...and it can be fixed....and sprint is sitting there twiddling their thumbs you just proved yoruself wrong the new modem drivers are software related..not hardware...this is something sprint can fix....they are the ones that design the modem drivers along with samsung as a team... i dont understand why are you in this thread if you aren't having this issue then?

the modem driver is software that controls the hardware, hence software related. "

This sprint board is known to sensor topics that seem to criticize sprint. I can see why now....

I have been a customer since 1998 and this is the first time I am posting here, so you can clearly see that other users, along with myself are having major issues

Don't even get me started on the crappy data speeds that only started in 10/11

Journeyman ej6
Journeyman

I found these instructions in another post on this forum and now my GPS works great.

Installed GPS Status app

Activated screen PASSWORD functionality

Rebooted phone

GPS locked on immediately

Journeyman

ej6 how do you activate PASSWORD? just a simple reboot will cause the gps to work temporarly, let us know if it lasts more than a couple of days!

Journeyman

It is a software problem .... I got so frustrated with not getting any fix from SPRINT that I decided to root my phone

and fix it myself. I'm running modem FD02 right now (this is supposed to be the final fix that sprint will release OTA

eventually) on Android 4.0.3 and it works great and it's accurate to 3-6 meters .  Still  won't lock all the time inside

But outside it's fast and reliable

Wizard

FD02 is not ready for release. There's a big bug preventing groups from syncing and the Contacts app crashes. GPS rocks though.

Wizard

I was running FD05 ICS full stock rom and have decided that there are too many bugs. 

What I highly recommend to people however is to use the FD05 (or FD02, FC24, FC22) modem with the Gingerbread Stock EL29.

Read these posts here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1352310

You need to use ODIN which can be found and installed here.http://forums.acsyndicate.net/showthread.php?2685-Odin-1-85-download-for-the-Epic-Touch-4G

Then download the FD05 .zip file, extract the modem.bin file out to the ODIN folder.  Watch that video from QBKing77 to make sure you are doing it right.

You can always go back to EL29 when Sprint finally gets the bugs worked out of ICS and releases an OTA.  I'm not sure why they don't push this FD05 modem to everyone right now.  WOW does it make a difference.

EL29 is pretty much flawless now.

Journeyman

I am running FD02 on calkulins e4gt 2 v1.4  ics with (so far) no bugs but I'm not as impressed with the gps as when I first installed it. Still works but takes a little longer to lock and some times accuracy is spotty

Master

acidic-e- and pdesai82

This thread has been reported as developing a flame war. Please cease this activity as it is against the community guidelines, or I will close this thread.

mapesy

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat