cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to manually update to official OTA FF18

Highlighted
Journeyman

How to manually update to official OTA FF18

DISCLAIMER: I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOU BREAKING YOUR PHONE. FOLLOW THESE STEPS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

1. Download http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/sprint_samsung_d710/bbe3997e3067.SPH-D710_update_EL29...
2. Rename to "update.zip", without quotes
3. Copy to SD card, not phone
4. Reboot phone in recovery mode(hold vol up + power)
5. Select "apply update from sdcard"

6. Browse for update.zip

Give it a minute or two, then you should see a yellow progress bar. This is the actual installation. For me, installation took between 5 - 10 minutes. YMMV

Your phone should then restart. It'll pop up with the familiar Sprint 4G splashscreen. It'll say "Android is upgrading." It'll go through and get your contacts and such set up.

Then, you should be good to go.

There, everyone can stop crying about this now.

42 REPLIES 42
Journeyman

Re: How to manually update to official OTA FF18

Here is a link to a Youtube video for manually updating if you don't want to wait for the OTA update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcsfJXKv23o

I would now like to start crying for my Jelly Bean update

BTW, when you start the update process, press the Menu button so that you can see the progress. I had to recopy my update.zip to the SD card because the first copy didn't pass the verify check.

Very Very easy to do - just did it took about 15 minutes maximum. Successful - only issue I have seen so far are the contacts/favorites - the contacts picture is large and fuzzy - would like to list like in Gingerbread but not sure how to do it.

Journeyman

Stupid question, I am sure: this won't work without the SD card?

correct - the manual process requires an sd card

Journeyman

Thank you!

Journeyman

Thanks for the video link! Had no problems with the operation whatsoever!

Journeyman

Is there any harm in doing the manual upgrade? Or is that exactly what the OTA upgrade will do? It's just I don't want to screw my phone up, and since it didn't come OTA now I can't get any more OTA upgrades or something funky happens. But if this is exactly what I'll be getting OTA then screw it I'll install it myslef now!

Wizard

We performed the manual update for the remaining folks on our staff still using the SGS2.  Phone is more responsive and all the glitches they were seeing are gone.  It's only been a day but they are happy. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

Yeah just did the manual upgrade, it was easy, and the new changes are awesome! Yeah they are minor, but it adds up, ignore the negative comments it's great! Wish I would have done it sooner! Thanks!

Journeyman

I attempted this twice and it froze on the exclamation point and the lil android guy, never made it to the progress bar.  Help?

Wizard

Please provide all the steps you completed before you got to this screen so someone can help you diagnose the problem.  i.e. Verified I have SDcard, downloaded official ICS from the following link, renamed file to update.zip and copied it to the sdcard not the internal storage, shutdown and restarted by holding power and volume up, etc....

Cheers,

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat