cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to manually update to official OTA FF18

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: How to manually update to official OTA FF18

Does the manual update give you root access?

Journeyman

I wish I would have seen this on the 12th ! Simple, Elegant, Flawless instructions ... love it(ICS) / thanks

Journeyman

Does everyone here that is reporting great success with the manual download have Epic 4G Touch?  Or are some of you guys using other models of phones? 

It appears that the those that have performed manual download is having MUCH better success with this than those that took the OTA update.

Thanks in advance for your responses to question.

Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy SII  .... worked great for me.

Journeyman

If I do the manual update. Is it going to void my warranty?

Journeyman

Updated a couple of hours ago using manual procedure described here and so far no problems. About to go out for lunch, so we will see how battery and signal quality look outside. On GB I was getting less than 2% charge drop per hour when the phone was idle, around 5% per hour drop with light usage. Will post the results later.

Journeyman

Two hours later - no problems with batery life and signal quality. two observations:

-- You have to pair again with your Bluetooth headphone since defaults have changed. Your phone is by default invisible to other devices,
   so you have to go to Settings > Bluetooth and click "Epic 4G touch" checkbox to make the phone visible for the next 2 minutes.
   Pair your device again during this period (if it is still visible on the list, put it in pairing mode and click its name on the list).

-- Mail engine changed significantly, so your old settings still visible after update may cause problems. My Hotmail account was misbehaving,
   so I removed it and added again - this time it showed up as Exchange account with more flexible options than in Gingerbread.

Journeyman

Will this effect your phone in any way if you havent recieved the OTA update already ? or should ii wait ?

Patron

Thank you, so far no issues and running smooth.   It might be my imagination but  my phone  appears to not be getting as warm as before....but anywho....thanks again.   🙂

Journeyman

nascar8877 wrote:

If I do the manual update. Is it going to void my warranty?

Absolutely not, why would it?

In fact, since rooting has become so common, even doing that to your phone your phone probably wont void your warranty.

Don't ever let Sprint (or any other manufacturer) try and deny you if you file a warranty claim.  If they try and tell you that you did anything to void the warranty, lie to them (if you have to) and deny it.

Journeyman

Is this considered "rooting" your phone???  I'm still new to the whole "in depth" look at cell phones.  I just know how to use them. lol

Journeyman

Rooting is the process of replacing operating system approved and tested by phone vendor and/or network operator with some other system that:

• adds functionality not provided by the approved version,
  • removes software forced upon users by the vendor/operator (so called "bloatware", e.g. Samsung Media Hub, Sprint NASCAR, Sprint ID)

Phone vendors and network operators usually claim that rooted system is dangerous because it was not properly tested, which may or may not be true, depending on the source of the rooted system.

The system update described in this converstion is the original/approved/tested version that is just delivered differently, so it is not a root. It can be compared to ordering online some merchandise that is no longer available in your local store.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat