cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICS ISSUES - IS FACTORY RESET WORTH IT??

Journeyman

ICS ISSUES - IS FACTORY RESET WORTH IT??

Ok so I have read all the issues people are having with the ICS update. I am one of them as well. I keep seeing blogs discussing a factory reset solved their problem. Is this really working for people? I'm not one to like to reset my phone after I have everything the way I like it.

Now I am hearing that the update has been suspended..... That makes me wonder and hope that Samsung is working on an update to fix all these issues...... Is it worth waiting to see, or just bite the bullet and do the reset?

I have backed up all my photos and contacts list to my SD card. Am I missing anything else to back up before resetting?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
Master

Re: ICS ISSUES - IS FACTORY RESET WORTH IT??

If clearing the cache/data for specific applications doesn't fix issues, or if your issues are widespread or withthe entire system tiself, then I would recommend a reset. In my case, I had some apps that were misbehaving and after either updating them, or clearing the cache they started working properly again. Corrupted data most likely. I was having some slowness and weird issues with my menu/home/back/search buttons not being usable until about 5 seconds after turning the screen on. I did a hard reset and everything is now working perfectly for me.

Journeyman

in my opinion, absolutely not. i agonized over doing a reset for about 3 days...finally decided to do it. phone is now WORSE after the reset. battery literally drains 1% every 2 minutes, 3G/4G data non-existent, can't connect to WIFI....and a host of about 15 other problems. im going to the sprint store today to complain, although i know there's nothing they can do. phone is useless now.

Master

LADYEBONEE wrote:

in my opinion, absolutely not. i agonized over doing a reset for about 3 days...finally decided to do it. phone is now WORSE after the reset. battery literally drains 1% every 2 minutes, 3G/4G data non-existent, can't connect to WIFI....and a host of about 15 other problems. im going to the sprint store today to complain, although i know there's nothing they can do. phone is useless now.

It is possible that the update itself was flashed badly from the network when it dowloaded OTA. A Service and Repair store should have the latest software (ICS) on their triage systems to reflash to the device if that is the case.

I don't have any abnormal battery drain or WiFi issues on my device after the ICS update and my hard reset. If it was the update itself, most if not all devices would experience the issue.

Journeyman

Yeah I have a whole bunch of issues. My biggests ones are battery drain, Wifi & 4g connectivity, and the OS lagging big time! Especially when using the internet.

Journeyman

I did the full reset from the loader menu.  Sucked losing everything.  Battery appears to be better though.  Judgement still out on wifi though.  Will keep you advised.

Journeyman

I did the factory reset and wiped both the internal and external memory, (I backed up everything to my desktop). When I began to reinstall the apps there were several that notified me that they weren't ICS compatible. Leaving those uninstalled seems to have helped most of the issues but I'm still losing data connectivity constantly. I'm thinking about having the Sprint service center roll back to the old firmware. And yes, losing the text messages and setup is a REAL pain.

Journeyman

I also did a factory reset (which is what I have done with previous versions of Android phones updating to newer versions) and it has helped improve the battery life. Granted, there are a few tweaks I have performed alongside the factory reset: I DO NOT use wifi unless I need to because I think most of the battery drain is being caused from the consistent "scanning" even though it is set off; I am using another home launcher (Holo Launcher) instead of the TW; I have my device set to 3G and only use 4G when I absolutely need to (which is very seldom); I constantly clear out the cache after each use on the phone; right after using the phone, I always clear out the running apps in the background (long-press home button & swipe to close all running apps); I have no live wallpapers running and instead a dark background; my background sync for all of my accounts & google location settings are still on like before.

I know not everyone has the same use, habits, settings, and stuff so it is hard to just say "yes, these are the things that are going to help your battery life extend." Then again, so far the functions I am performing are working out much better than the day I got the update so a little improvement is much better than before. Some people say that doing a factory reset works and then some say it doesn't; yes, it is a pain to restore all of your goodies back on your phone and stuff but then again, it can also be beneficial to the usage from your device. I remember an old friend of mine (computer savvy and smart) always told that when your phone receives new software and updates, it is always good to perform a factory reset to clear out any incompatible software or application components that might be corrupted or cause your phone to not work properly. I have done that in the past with prior Android phones and will continue to perform it. Good luck to everyone! I hope things do get better with the productivity of your phones.

Journeyman

update: took phone to sprint store to see if they could reflash ICS or even rollback to GB. no dice. dude said they are not allowed to reinstall ICS because it would be way too time consuming to do it for everyone and set a bad precedent...he said over 100 ppl came into the store over the past week asking the same thing. he did say that samsung is releasing a "fix" in about 2 weeks, so just be patient...i hope what he says is true.

he checked all of my battery settings, played with the 3g/4g connections and stuff, but after playing with it for a few minutes, he agreed that my phone is just "jacked up" after the update.

Journeyman

[SOLVED] (for me anyways)

BATTERY DRAIN ON ICS

I also experienced a dramatic loss in battery life after the ICS update. After reading much online about others experiences and after doing some testing of my own I finally have my battery life back to normal... even better than before when I was on Gingerbread. However, it is somewhat of a pain to manage. I discovered 4 things affecting my battery life... WiFi, 4G Wimax, and 2 apps (Juice Defender and InstaMapper GPS Tracker). I installed CPU Spy and BetterBatteryStats to moniter what was happening to my phone. In a nutshell WiFi and 4G Wimax keep the phone from going into deep sleep. So I disable WiFi and 4G and enable 3G when not using the phone. (Menu... Settings... toggle both WiFi & 4G off. Menu... Settings... More... Mobile Networks... check 3G Data) That would have been enough except for the 2 rogue apps I mention above. Juice Defender and InstaMapper GPS Tracker seem to enable WiFi and 4G even when I manually disable these. So I uninstalled these apps. (There may be other apps that you are using that also disregard your manual settings and enable WiFi and 4G.) When not on WiFi nor 4G and only using 3G, the phone does go into deep sleep and stay there until I wake it. So you can see it is manageable, but a pain or at least slight inconvenience. With moderate usage, including turning on/off my WiFi and 4G throughout the day, I have 20+ hours of usable battery life. I hope this helps.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat