cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICS UPDATE

Highlighted
Journeyman

ICS UPDATE

Does anybody know when sprint is going to come out with galaxy s2 epic 4g touch ics update.

64 REPLIES 64
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: ICS UPDATE

It's actually a question of when Samsung is going to release it, they develop it then most likely have carrier check it then push it out if the carrier doesn't have an issue with then its up to Samsung. You can also check Samsung's facebook or check this post they made about the rolling of the relase last month. Seeing how Sprint finally got the Nexus from Samsung with ICS Samsung shouldn't have too hard of a time making sure the ICS works they just need to check their own changes they make to the OS.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/samsung-mobile/android-40-ice-cream-sandwich-upgrade-for-galaxy-s-ii/3...

Highlighted

nascar8877 wrote:

Does anybody know when sprint is going to come out with galaxy s2 epic 4g touch ics update.

No, but they have been updating the Samsung phones much quicker than they used to and from my experience with fewer bugs to work out after the release.

Highlighted
Journeyman

We are waiting on Sprint to release it. All other GS2 phones are getting the upgrade now. I have the phone and did a leaked UNROOTED (i dont like messing with phones like that too many problems) ota update which was supposed to be the official update fd24 by the xda developers. The day after I installed I was told it was NOT the update that was going to be released they took it back and are rebuilding it. After having the update for a few days....I see why the are rebuilding. It was a good update but still some bugs and it seemed unfinished (fonts, graphics ect.) So it took a while but I put my phone back to new ootb. So I am offering some advice.....waiting for the update is killing me too, but from what I have been told and doing some research it seems like it won't be TOO much longer IF they finally decide on a build. If not.....I am thinking of not renewing my contract. Sprint takes too long for updates when everyone else is getting them!

Highlighted
Journeyman

The way things are going I am not sure how long can Sprint survive. After just one contract cycle I have had enough of sprint. The first device that I got from Sprint was an EVO, and I absolutely loved that device and the service at that time. But, with the last updates that they released for that device they messed up quite a few things and left a bad taste. And, now with the E4GT they are taking so long. They are probably trying to work out all the kinks, but that just adds pressure to release a flawless build. And, judging by Sprint's hisotry that won't happen. So, the providers ends up getting even more flack for it. But, that is not the main reason for my frustration, it is the data speeds. The mobile data simply doesn't work in my area. I use wifi both at work and home. So, I do not have to suffer Sprint's Now Network too much. As in my area the Now Network is the Never Network. Forget about using a multimedia device on this sub-edge network here, I keep getting constant page time-outs on even trying to browse simple webpages. I have suffered similar experiences in a couple of other states that I have had the pleasure of travelling to with Sprint's service. Only rarely do I get a satisfactory speed. I have unlimited data, of which I used a whopping 300 MB last month. And, I am paying premium data fee for what? Those of us who are Sprint's customers in smaller cities and towns are paying for the 4G speeds of folks living in bigger metros.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This was Sprint answer in another post: 

"As for Ice Cream Sandwich updates, a little research on the topic would yield a wealth of information available regarding updates on the Internet. There have been over 30 leaked test versions of ICS for Sprint's Epic 4G Touch. In addition, Google themselves just updated the Nexus S 4G to ICS in the last month or so. They have also publically congratulated Sony on the speedy release for some of their global GSM phoine updates that took 6 months.

ICS, unlike previous updates, is a complete change to the way Android operates. It brings all of the hardware acceleration and capabilities that Google has made for Honeycomb on the tablets, and combined it with everything in Gingerbread for the phones. Nothing can simply be transferred over from one to the other, everything must be converted to use the new setup that ICS implemented. It's not as easy as going from Android 2.2 to Android 2.3. We are skipping from 2.3 to 4.0 with ICS updates. As it stands, only a handful of Android devices around the world have Andorid 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich."

IMHO this is just another excuse by Sprint for delaying the update.

Makes you wonder if it is a marketing strategy buying time while the Samsung Galaxy S 3 is available ?

Highlighted
Master

KAMADEV1969 wrote:

This was Sprint answer in another post: 

"As for Ice Cream Sandwich updates, a little research on the topic would yield a wealth of information available regarding updates on the Internet. There have been over 30 leaked test versions of ICS for Sprint's Epic 4G Touch. In addition, Google themselves just updated the Nexus S 4G to ICS in the last month or so. They have also publically congratulated Sony on the speedy release for some of their global GSM phoine updates that took 6 months.

ICS, unlike previous updates, is a complete change to the way Android operates. It brings all of the hardware acceleration and capabilities that Google has made for Honeycomb on the tablets, and combined it with everything in Gingerbread for the phones. Nothing can simply be transferred over from one to the other, everything must be converted to use the new setup that ICS implemented. It's not as easy as going from Android 2.2 to Android 2.3. We are skipping from 2.3 to 4.0 with ICS updates. As it stands, only a handful of Android devices around the world have Andorid 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich."

IMHO this is just another excuse by Sprint for delaying the update.

Makes you wonder if it is a marketing strategy buying time while the Samsung Galaxy S 3 is available ?

I would like to point out that quote of mine is not an official post, but rather my point of view regarding the subject. Ice Cream Sandwich IS a major change in the structure of Android even though on the surface not a lot will be changing. Everything underneath is different. When upgrading an Android 2.3 device to Android 4.0, the first time it is turned on the phone has to convert the entire filesystem over to a new format, and optimize the installed applications for the new layout. This has never had to be done i nthe past becuase all previous versions of Android kep the basic underlying system the same.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-04-27/tech/31416635_1_android-phone-android-android-smartph...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well I hope we get it soon. I think it will be sooner rather then later.

E

Journeyman

Yeah I would like to know when the heck we will be getting the upgrade I love the fact that Sprint won't even answer that yet The Galaxy Note and the Galaxy S II International version already have the updates. Sprint always takes forever in pushing out updates because they are too busy getting in debt and buying new phones that already have the updates and don't care about the phones they already sold that need the update. EPIC fail Sprint. If you want to discuss more about this and other issues head on over to www.tncnewscentral.com/forum and help us grow and join in the discussion.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm forced to agree.

From a functional standpoint my phone works perfectly, but I would like the ICS update.  At what point do carriers realize that their over the top tweaks to the stock are not what the customers want and stop doing that?  I have seem so many reviews of the "leaked" builds where they fix one thing and then something else that was working is now not working.  At least in the old days of "stupid" phones the only thing you had to wait for for was the manufacturer to print is big letter "SPRINT" on the back of the phone so everyone knew who you bought from.

Anyhow, Sprint thank you for your hard work and please hurry with the update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have to agree. I truly believe that Sprint is more concerned as in the sales of the new & improved gs3, than dealing with the issues of overseeing of how thier bloatware runs on the latest ics build, (which is indeed the majority of the problem), since t-mobiles update as well as others have already been released & applied. A shame beacuse sprint was FIRST to release it in the first place...However another glitch reared its ugly head in regards to a faulty eemc chip that plauges the galaxy s2 as well as notes, so when flashed incorrectly in ics recovery, or maybe just by a factory wipe/reset, or paired with an faulty kernal... u could very well wind up with a brick, that not even j-tag can ressurect. So taking matters into my own hands in installing by a custom rom, just became very risky. Samsung is aware of both of these issues, and is looking into same, whether it comes in form of a patch, or release of source code, (which developers already posess for sg3) at least they do show some concern since the sg2 was basicly thier "flagship" that started in the first place, not just in sales, ive been happy with sprint in the past, & thier unlimited data plan up to this point, but to have a limited , risky phone with bugs, is not much of the upgrade i thought it to be when i commited to this android craze, & although i am not, & never have been an "I-whore"i find this whole ordeal very displeasing.......

Come on sprint re-inlighten me....

Highlighted
Journeyman

".However another glitch reared its ugly head in regards to a faulty eemc chip that plauges the galaxy s2 as well as notes, so when flashed incorrectly in ics recovery, or maybe just by a factory wipe/reset, or paired with an faulty kernal... u could very well wind up with a brick"

Okay, we'll call it that. I'm more inclined to believe this "faulty chip" is a peepee slap for trying to root our phones.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat