cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICS UPDATE

Highlighted
Journeyman

ICS UPDATE

Does anybody know when sprint is going to come out with galaxy s2 epic 4g touch ics update.

64 REPLIES 64
Highlighted
Journeyman

@CALLOOKZERO,

...And you'd be wrong if you thought that.  The eMMC bug had nothing - I repeat, NOTHING - to do with rooting the device.  It DOES have something to do with the difference in the behavior of a format/wipe process which was introduced in Honeycomb and brought over into ICS as a feature to improve security.  The behavior can be easily modified but only if you know what was causing the problem and how to avoid it.

Many have been working to ensure that this doesn't affect regular users like the Int'l Note owners have been seeing... in the end the timeframe for ICS on Sprint turned out to be a winner as it will ensure that this is properly addressed before OTA.  So unless you're using AOSP ICS-based ROMs, specifically those not with the correction in place, 99% of the users will not have to worry that a factory reset could brick their phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does anyone from Sprint monitor these comments?  If so, I, as well as many, many others as well I am sure, would appreciate any update from sprint as to what is going on with the Epic and ICS.  I Google on a regular basis to try and find any information and can only find basically rumors and nothing from Sprint.  I have been a Sprint customer for many years and this is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth which is making me seriously consider changing carriers when my contract runs out.

Please Sprint, at least be considerate enough to put out some sort of update or timeline.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

We do follow these discussions, and respond when we can. unfortunately in the past we have had problems when timelines could not be met because there was delay in getting a suitable release candidate from a manufacturer. as a result we are no longer able to provide a timeline up to the point when we have control of the software release, and it is ready for release. I do see where you are coming from, so please do not take this for lack of consideration. Take it more as we only want to provide information that we can guarantee.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Agreed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It better to fail a timeline than tell us nothing at all. I am for one am tired of the issue I have had with this phone all hoping that ICS will come in fix well ICS came, t-mobile has it, AT&T will have it but nothing for you sprint not even a word. We buy these phones for the ability to update because we are stuck in a 2 year contract. If your waiting until GS3 comes out because you don't want to hurt your sales than your going to lose alot of customers. Your Horrible speeds and service and lack up communication is horrible and make me regret leaving t-mobile last year and because of this whole ICS issues and lack of communciation will make me leave as soon as my contract is close to being up. If I wanted to go to company that does not care about there customers I would have jump to verizon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/06/20/sprint-epic-4g-touch-ice-cream-sandwich-release-date-remains...

Boom. Headshot.

I guess it's to be expected though. I was one of the poor little pawns who trudged through the "Moment Era" that should have given me enough brains to never buy a samsung device if I intended on getting timely software updates. The GSII is solid as it is, but I've waited long enough for my new toys.

Highlighted
Journeyman

sprint_user_0 wrote:

The way things are going I am not sure how long can Sprint survive. After just one contract cycle I have had enough of sprint.

But, that is not the main reason for my frustration, it is the data speeds. The mobile data simply doesn't work in my area. I use wifi both at work and home. So, I do not have to suffer Sprint's Now Network too much. As in my area the Now Network is the Never Network. Forget about using a multimedia device on this sub-edge network here, I keep getting constant page time-outs on even trying to browse simple webpages. I have suffered similar experiences in a couple of other states that I have had the pleasure of travelling to with Sprint's service. Only rarely do I get a satisfactory speed. I have unlimited data, of which I used a whopping 300 MB last month. And, I am paying premium data fee for what? Those of us who are Sprint's customers in smaller cities and towns are paying for the 4G speeds of folks living in bigger metros.

Amen. Ditto that. Agreed. Yup yup.

I'm on my fourth GSII (Sprint techs bricked the first when I asked them to check the connectivity, I never left the store with the second, and the third was a refurbished piece of crap). Unfortunately, I'm seeing a pattern in Samsung devices, which is not a problem with Sprint, necessarily. The correllation is bad connectivity...so you tell me the probability of four phones experiencing the same issues -- network or manufacturer? Also, this is just my phone: Add in my wife's and there's another slew of issues.

Overall, I've only had one positive experience with Sprint -- and I've had significantly more dealings with them than my previous carrier.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'd rather have an approximate timeline given for ICS and have it pushed back if necessary (accompanied by an explanation)     , as this will be the deciding factor in whether I keep my SII E4GT or leave for another carrier.         

Highlighted
Journeyman

http://global.christianpost.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s2-ice-cream-sandwich-upgrade-not-coming-to-spri...

And IF the above is to believe we are NOT getting it. If this is true, Sprint's buyback is garbage. We bought the Galaxy SII (Epic 4 G Touch) with the understanding that we would eventually get ICS. And the fact that Sprint is the ONLY major wireless carrier to not offer it on all Android phns is underhanded and deceitful.

At the least, you should give us a Galaxy SIII or release us from current contract as compensation for this blunder. As a 10 year customer I would expect this as the least you would offer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm not trying to be rude, but don't be dense. How many leaks are out for the Epic 4g Touch now? Not to mention it has already been confirmed that our phones are getting it by both Samsung and Sprint. Christian post provides a supposition with no factual basis and it's enough for you to post a useless comment wich wont achieve anything more than provide me with somethig to do at work? I'd trust all the evidence here before I get all huffy about a speculative news article from a place like Christian Post, faith in action I guess. Lastly, it's a service that is being provided to us, can't we be a little more grateful? Even if they aren't releasing it because they want to boost sales for the Galaxy s III, It is still coming eventually. Pray do tell, what is decietful about it? It would have been decietful if they gave us a date and weren't able to abide by that particular date due to development issues, which I suspect is exactly what is going on.

Although we haven't seen another leak for a while....

Highlighted
Journeyman

Amen I am in the same boat. Have gone through 2 evo 4g's nexus s 4g a 4g hotspot and now a e4gt paying the premium all the while being told wimax was right around the corner and so is ICS. Oh wait they dropped wimax no more added area so I am stuck with a bunch of 3g devices now. Paid my early termination fees on 3 devices so far why keep them hoping for 4g that won't come. Now since my remaining phones are reduced to 3g only since they are adopting wimax I am seriously tempted to pay my early term fees and look to either Verizon or AT&T. At least they can roll out ICS. Oh and did I mention my 3g speeds lately suck as well, whatever they are doing to their network it is really screwing me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Zaechariah, yes it is a service that is being provided to us but grateful?????  Get real we pay dearly for that service it is provided yes but at a cost not because Sprint is so generous should they not be the ones greatful to recieve the 100's of dollars per month from contracts. As far as developement goes what could possibly make it so much different than other s2 phones?? Oh yes wimax 4g which they are going to discontinue why even bother with that if it is the hold up since the coverage is so small as to be worthless at this point and soon to be gone all together. I think people are just getting tired of the mushroom thing (being kept in the dark and fed a little manure)

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat