cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICS update Battery Life Bad

Highlighted
Journeyman

ICS update Battery Life Bad

I Updated my phone  to FF18 ICS and now my battery life stinks! It was great running EL29 Gingerbread. Has anyboby had the same proble or found a solution? I think I want to go back to EL29 Gingerbread.

47 REPLIES 47
Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint,

Will you be addressing these issues and how soon?

How many complaints do you need online to take action? 

Can this be used as a one-time pass to let me trade this junk phone in for an HTC?  🙂 

Highlighted
Journeyman

P.s. seems kind of ridiculous we have to do a factory reset after getting the upgrade....have two epics at home, haven't received the update yet but not sure if I should want this thing or not at this point?

Terrible rollout yet again by the worst major cell provider in America....

The second sprint takes away the unlimited everything family plan is the day I leave the company with my 6 other accounts....maybe then i'll actually get reliable service

Highlighted
Journeyman

To all struggling with or interested in the ICS update to the Samsung Epic 4G Galaxy S2:

Please consider reviewing the link below and adding your thoughts on the larger mobile computing/Android industry implications raised by the flawed ICS update.

Thank you.

Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the exact issue after going to ICS

Battery life is about HALF of what gingerbread was. This is really frustrating as I now have to charge the phone to get through the day with light use!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I found a way to greatly improve battery life on my epic touch with ics. Hold in the home button and a recent apps menu will pop up. Swipe windows to clear recent apps and your battery life will be much better.

Highlighted
Journeyman

phoneguy1983 wrote:

I found a way to greatly improve battery life on my epic touch with ics. Hold in the home button and a recent apps menu will pop up. Swipe windows to clear recent apps and your battery life will be much better.

Yes, but that shouldn't be necessary.  Android should control it's own battery usage better.

Anyway, not that anyone else needs proof, but I upgraded and now my battery with little to no usage is about 10 hours.  I used to be able to do all day.  And I'm roaming constantly even though I am not going anywhere no that I wasn't under gingerbread.

I guess it serves us right, we all cried for ICS and now that we get it and it's half-baked and melting we're crying again.  I wonder if the other SII's on other carriers are having these issues too?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mark me down as another poor battery life user.

I have done the factory reset, and only have 3 apps loaded from the app store. I flushed EVERYTHING. I went from 100% to 42% in 6 hours of VERY light use this morning (1 call, 1 email, and a few checks of email). I am seriously thinking of going back to Gingerbread. My email LED doesn't blink either. AndroidOS is eating most of my battery. I used to be able to go home for the day with my phone at over 65%. I have 4G, Bluetooth, GPS, and Wifi turned off. Only 3G is running for data.

I'm pissed about this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

FYI,

Both me and my wife were experiencing the battery problems as well.  We aren't anymore.  Here's what we did.

Factory reset

Settings > Wi-Fi > advanced settings > Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep > Only when plugged in (or Never would work too)

Installed JuiceDefender (from Google Play)

Setting > Sound > uncheck Touch sounds and Screen lock sound (this was due to me getting partial wakelocks from AudioOut_1 (tons and tons of wakelocks)

Turn off the phone > charge the battery to 100% > remove battery for 5 min > put battery back in

With all of those things, our batteries work normally now.  Of course, I'm completely open to the idea that some of the above were totally pointless and not necessary - I really have no idea if they all helped, or if it was really only one or two of the items that made the difference, but regardless, I have my normal battery life back.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am sure Juice Defender will be a big culprit is this is a 3rd party app thats sole purpose is to increase battery life. And it does this usually by disabling network services (syncing) while screen is off. Another user recommended using a app called Tasker and when the screen is off drop network connectivity. All of these may work. But there is a bigger point to be made here

I am sure Juice Defender will be a big culprit is this is a 3rd party app thats sole purpose is to increase battery life. And it does this usually by disabling network services (syncing) while screen is off. Another user recommended using a app called Tasker and when the screen is off drop network connectivity. All of these may work. But there is a bigger point to be made here. Most if not all of us NEVER had to do such measures with GB we could literally run our phone right out of box and expect great things. Now it seems like people are forced to perform voodoo on there phone to get there battery life back to where it was. And most people dont even after all these tricks. I do agree though that juice defender should give you a little better battery life. As for the other steps I am not so sure. I have read numerous other threads where people performed the exact same steps and gained nothing. I still feel strongly that sprint needs to address these issues and force samsung to fix them. If this is the type of device support we can expect where is the motivation to go and buy a new phone when you know your not going to get updates OR you get updates that hinder your devices performance/capabilities. This is just a huge disappointment.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I installed Juice Defender Pro and it did not work for me, In fact, it was messing up my text messages to the point where it would not even notify me that I had a text until I went into the app and noticed numerous text messages that I have received. Also, it was messing up my wifi and signal indicators to the point where I was connected to wifi, sitting in my room close to my router, but with no bars. I was connected to wifi and everything but the indicator was not showing a signal. When I would disconnect, the indicator for 3G would also do the same thing. I decided to uninstall and perform a factory reset to see what would come from it. Now, I do not use wifi unless I have to (I used to keep it on all the time in my house and would get awesome battery life with Gingerbread...now, it's reverse); I check my task manager (long-press Home key to bring up running apps) often and close those apps that are running. I am going to use your suggestions (minus the Juice Defender) and see what comes of it. Thank you for the advice.

Highlighted
Journeyman

CAS818028 wrote:

I am sure Juice Defender will be a big culprit is this is a 3rd party app thats sole purpose is to increase battery life.

It could be, and if it is the primary reason that I'm getting normal battery life again, then I agree with your subsequent points.  I haven't ever used JuiceDefender before the ICS update, so if everything was really okay with my phone now, I shouldn't need it.  I'll turn it off tomorrow and see how things go.

But, like you said, we shouldn't have to jump through these hoops to get our phones to work like they did before the update (except maybe for the factory reset - I know it can suck, but I can see the usefullness of that one).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey Joboodi -  What are you using to determine where your wakelocks are coming from?

I am also having issues with the 'Android OS' battery drain and am trying to find out what is keeping the phone awake.  I have been using CPU Spy and GSam Battery Monitor but I havne;t found anything that points to the actual process creating the wakelocks...

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat