cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICS update pulled by sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

ICS update pulled by sprint.

After waiting for my ICS update I decided to call sprint tech support to try and figure out when i would have my update. The tech support official told me that they were not told how or when the update should post on my galaxy sII. So after i was told by him that they had no power of when the update was going to my phone i asked if calling samsung directly would help. He kindly patched me over to samsung tech support were i was told by them that the update was pulled. He actually had just gotten out of a meeting explaining this. Now when i called sprint they never gave me this information. In fact as said before "they had no control over the update, that it was in fact Samsung that controlled the release". So I'm not sure if when or if I'll ever get Ice cream sandwich. I'm not all that upset about the delay. If it was pulled because of massive problems I'd rather have a proper update then one that was rushed. I would however like to be kept in the loop. I also went into a local sprint store and they had no idea either. So just some friendly information would be nice. Thankyou.

15 REPLIES 15
Journeyman

Re: ICS update pulled by sprint.

Yeah me too, i haven't got my OTA update for my phones yet, so if sprint pulled the update, then how are wer supposed to update it, and no i dont wanna do it manually.

Journeyman

not sure i unstanding ur post,ur header says ics pulled by sprint,in ur writing u state samsung pulled it.also in fact they have no control over the update.but in facted sprint does have a say in it,good old customer care tell u what  u want here to get u off the line.

Journeyman

With luck, they pulled the update to implement a fix to correct the terrible battery life and other bugs and issues found in the ICS update.  As someone who has the update, I am jealous of my wife who didn't get the update.

In short, be thankful you don't have it.  Waiting for a fixed version is in your best interest.

Journeyman

Here is a direct quote from the chat I just had with Samsung....

"Chat Information Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Cindy'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Chat Information Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK56401372387X

Cindy: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Visitor: Hello. I have been searching forums about the ICS update for the Epic 4G Touch and have heard that the OTA update was suspended. Is this true?

Cindy: I understand that you want to know whether the update is available for your phone. Is that correct?

Cindy: I don’t mean to rush you, but I haven't had a response from you. Are we connected?

Visitor: No. I want to know if the OTA was suspended. I understand that my phone was promised ICS at "some time", so I am not concerned about if it will get it or not.

Cindy: I would like to inform you that the OTA is still available for your phone. It is not true that the update is suspended.

Cindy: Please let me know if you have any questions.

Visitor: Ok. Also does the OTA have a specific time frame? (EG 7/12/12 - 7/20/12) Or has this not been specified?

Cindy: I am sorry, there is no time frame available for the OTA update for your phone."

Sprint Employee

At this point in time I have seen nothing come across my desk saying that ICS for the Epic touch was suspended. normally with an update of this magnitude it has to be pushed out in waves, and generally may take 3-6 weeks, although the original announcement did not mention a timeframe for the release. Most of the problems that I have seen are corrected by clearing cache/data, or factory restore. the only universal problem that I have seen feedback on is that the default browser does not word wrap, but I personally would have never noticed.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

funny because the official release said "released in stages with 100% of devices on the most current prior release having received the update within 10 days"http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/samsung/samsung_epic_...

Journeyman

So what ur saying ur the last to know about the pulled update is that right.hummmmm.

Journeyman

I'm not necessarly saying the update has been pulled but its been 10 days and I haven't received mine yet

Master

Stephaniemcintire wrote:

So what ur saying ur the last to know about the pulled update is that right.hummmmm.

Pulled updates are communicated to all CARE, Tech Support, and Retail teams at the same time using the same tools. Pulled updates usually happen within a couple days of the initial rollout as major impacting issues are discovered in the field that lab testing didn't find. This is not the case with the Epic Touch update.

The notice about 10 days was originally added in there for the previous update release EL29 and is generic information not specific to the latest update, the specific information for the FF18 update and roollout is here http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/93257?tstart=0 with no specific timeframe given. Most likely, mapesy just added the new update information to the top of the historical Epic Touch software update page without changing the section at the bottom. The number of Epic Touch devices sold since the EL29 update means a much longer rollout period than the previous version, to ensure download speeds stay consistent from Google's GOTA servers the update is released in more stages which take more time.

I have seen some updates for popular phones in the past (EVO 4G) quoted as far as 20 days out.

RC1024 - these have been reported in this forum as well as other forums

• There is definitely a problem with intermittent loss of data signal with 3g/4g as well as WiFi (I have never had these on GB with this phone and it is not a problem on the iPhone in the same house) - the intermittent loss is not associated with a specific zip code/address. Noticed this in multiple locations in the Twin Cities
  • Battery drain (may be related to WiFi constantly scanning?) but is definitely noticeable (even doing factory reset, battery pull, etc)
  • WiFi - when activated drains constantly - I have had to shut this off and only use intermittently (never had to on GB; always used it to save battery)

The above are major concerns

• There are others not as major (dialer not associated with contacts, no ability to see how long a call was in dialer, pics in favorites (distorted/large/fuzzy) with no ability to list, swype keyboard number layout changed - these are to name a few
Sprint Employee

I would never imply that not one person saw an ill effect from any update. Changing your WiFi settings may help with the power consumption. As for problem with intermittant data perhaps I can have you send a private message to me so I can report this to the developers.

No longer working Community Response.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat