cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung Galaxy S2

Journeyman

Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung Galaxy S2

Looks like there are lots of discussions here regarding the ICS update, thought I'd add to the discussion with my own experiences.

Since the ICS update, these are the issues I've noted:

Cons:

1. The phone roams more frequently, signal strength appears to be lower

2. Shorter battery life

3. Phone runs noticebly hotter

4. Browser crashes more often

(I suspect 2 and 3 are related to 4G use)

Pro:

I like the updated voice-to text feature, where the text is displayed as you talk and you can decide when you are "done".

I received the ICS update but my wife, with an identical phone and on the same account, didn't.  So far I think she was the lucky one.

71 REPLIES 71
Journeyman

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung Galaxy S2

My husband got the update this morning and so far I have not. It has drained his battery very quickly. I have the same phone, but plan to skip the update I think.

Journeyman

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung Galaxy S2

Tee52 wrote:

My husband got the update this morning and so far I have not. It has drained his battery very quickly. I have the same phone, but plan to skip the update I think.

Hi Tee52,

Please do me a favor and have him turn 4G on and do some web surfing to see if that causes the upper half of his phone to heat up as well...

Thanks!

Master

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung Galaxy S2

I suspect your right about 2 & 3 as they changed the from LTE being disabled to LTE being enabled by default. I think you can go in and manually change it to use only CDMA until you get LTE in your area though which should bring back your battery life and lesson the heat.

Also keep in mind, Signal Strength on LTE networks is different then CDMA networks when referring to dB. A -102dB signal on LTE is about the equivalent of a -82dB on CDMA. Bars is a differnet story.


--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung Galaxy S2

smotrs wrote:

I suspect your right about 2 & 3 as they changed the from LTE being disabled to LTE being enabled by default. I think you can go in and manually change it to use only CDMA until you get LTE in your area though which should bring back your battery life and lesson the heat.

Also keep in mind, Signal Strength on LTE networks is different then CDMA networks when referring to dB. A -102dB signal on LTE is about the equivalent of a -82dB on CDMA. Bars is a differnet story.

smotrs,

So you're saying that my current Sprint Galaxy S2 phone will also support Sprint 4G LTE?  I assumed my device supported WiMAX only and I would need a new phone for LTE???

Thanks

Master

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung Galaxy S2

Sorry, I misread the original post, thought it said SGIII. My apologies.

The SGII is strictly a CDMA/WiMAX phone, the SGIII is a CDMA/LTE phone. Again, my apologies.


--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung Galaxy S2

smotrs wrote:

Sorry, I misread the original post, thought it said SGIII. My apologies.

The SGII is strictly a CDMA/WiMAX phone, the SGIII is a CDMA/LTE phone. Again, my apologies.

Ah, interesting, good to know about the SGIII, thanks!

Journeyman

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung Galaxy S2

Anyone have any thoughts on this potential solution?

Wipe cache partition --

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/454374#454374

What are all the consequences of this?  What data is lost, etc.?

Journeyman

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung Galaxy S2

Could somone post how to turn off lte by default setting, or a link? My battery is eaten up in four hours when i have 4g turned on...

Journeyman

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung Galaxy S2

US.Cell - sorry I have not checked this thread and just saw your message.

US.Cell wrote:

Hi Tee52,

Please do me a favor and have him turn 4G on and do some web surfing to see if that causes the upper half of his phone to heat up as well...

Thanks!

His phone does heat up and so does mine after I got the ICS update. I also experience severe battery drain and have to recharge during the day. SOme features I like but others not so much. I have almost downloaded the gingerbread and gone back to it.

We have both also done the partion wipe and we lost no data. I cannot tell any difference in my battery life even tho they say it helps.

Wizard

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung Galaxy S2

If you're experiencing battery issues, an update has been sent to your devices to fix this issue.  This will most likely improve your situation.  Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

To perform a software update on the Galaxy S2, select Menu>Settings>System Update>Update Firmware

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

Hours: 9am-8pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Journeyman

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung Galaxy S2

I have to be honest.  I loved my Galaxy S2 phone until it sent me the update.  I finally had to take it to a tech store where they replaced it.  Five days later I am still having the same problems even though the tech said the update had been corrected.  Now, they are sending another one but it is on backorder.  I spent all day Saturday trying to fix this.  On top of this I was hung up on 4 times by tech support and was rudely treated by a tech store and a regular store.  I hope other customers are receiving better service than I did.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat