cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung Galaxy S2

Journeyman

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung Galaxy S2

Fergie_B wrote:

My pleasure.  Please keep us updated.  I hope they're able to assist.  By the way, what is going on with your husband's device if you don't mind me asking?

He was having issues with the keyboard when sending a text. It would type 2 -3 letters and send the text. Very annoying to to person receiving the text. He took it in and their solution was to change from swype to the android keyboard, offered no other solution. There was another issue and I don't remember now, but they did not have a "fix" for it and we took it to mean they had no clue or did not want to be bothered. I will say at our Sprint store the guy who helped us set up our phones when we purchased was AWESOME! He has since moved on to manage a Sprint store. My issue is still battery drain.

Journeyman

Thank you. I doubt that it is an App related issue because still haven't installed many of the apps that I had before wiping my phone. No offense to the Sprint Repair Center but all they were going to do when I told them about the issue was wipe my phone without backing anything up. I told them I can just do that myself so that's what I did. 

I have a battery indicator app on my phone that monitors the voltage and health of my battery. I understand that the app might not be 100% accurate but it does a pretty good job. It says that it is in good health so I imagine that taking it in to the repair center would yield little results. This is why I'm at a loss on what to do.

Wizard

Tee52,

Well that doesn't sound like fun at all.  Is your husband still having issues with the Swype keyboard or has he moved on to the Android keyboard?  I know that some of our customers needed to clear the swype application after updating their devices, he might want to try that if he's still experiencing that issue.

Wizard

JayD6,

Hmmm.  Ok, so let's say this.  Approximately how long does it take for your battery to drain when fully charged.  Also, what functions do you normally perform on your device when it is draining?

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

Hours: 9am-8pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Journeyman

I'll try to make it easy to understand the comparison:

Old phone setup on Gingerbread: Most of the my time with the phone was spent sending texts and listening to music throughout the day. Surfing the web for a few on my lunch break and a phone call or two in the evening. I was getting about 16 hours on a charge ending my day with about 30% battery left on average.

New setup since reset and FH13: Same use in same locations as noted above. Haven't reinstalled many of the apps since the reset but getting around 8 hours on a charge with my phone competely dead by the end of the day.

Before the FH13 firmware update I was only getting 4-6 hours on a charge if this helps any.

Journeyman

One thing to note - ICS turned on some hardware level enhancements to further boost performance.  So this could also be part of what's sucking battery power away.

I just always keep a charger nearby and avoid the issue altogether...

Journeyman

Thanks. That might be the case. My phone tends to stay warm around the area between the camera flash and the Galaxy S II logo on the back cover. I'm guessing that's where the processor is? Keeping a charger nearby is a solution but not an ideal one for me. I'm not always near an outlet or don't always have time to let it sit and charge.

Wizard

JayD6,

In addition to what garwynn said, there are some functions of ICS that are running in the background that could cause battery drain.  There was a recent post on the forums for 10 ways to help improve your Android battery life.  Please take a look at that, let me know if it's able to assist you.  I'm glad that the update was able to improve your battery life by a bit, I'm sorry it didn't help completely.

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

Hours: 9am-8pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Journeyman

My wife has a similar situation so I've tried to get her power wherever she is.

First off keep the USB cable with you (and plug) if you can.

Then go get a car charger from Wal-Mart with the USB port - not one with the Micro USB connector.  Use your stock cable with that and you've got mobile power for $10.

Can give a few other suggestions for power depending on your situation...

Journeyman

Thanks for the tips. $10 is definitely a lot better than paying full retail for another phone. I'll have to pick up another car charger. My Sprint one died a while ago & I just never got around to replacing it because I didn't have a need to. I guess this is going to be the new norm for me until I upgrade.

Journeyman

Thank you for your assistance and patience through this issue. I will take a look at link and see which ways help to improve things and give it a few days to see if things change. Though things aren't back to pre-ICS, they are better than they were a couple of days ago. If ICS uses more resources to run than GB did, I can live with that. I just didn't like thinking I did something wrong that was causing such dramatic performance issues with my phone.

Journeyman

Fergie_B wrote:

Tee52,

Well that doesn't sound like fun at all.  Is your husband still having issues with the Swype keyboard or has he moved on to the Android keyboard?  I know that some of our customers needed to clear the swype application after updating their devices, he might want to try that if he's still experiencing that issue.

He had the keyboard issues prior to the ICS update and just used android since that is what tech repair said he had to do. I think he still has issues after the update. I may tell him to uninstall swype and re-install to see if that works. I am curious if they even check these updates for issues before they send them out, or just send them and then play dumb when problems arise. This so reminds me of microsoft when they push out "updates" then have to do a fix for the previous update. It is just very annoying since these phones were not cheap and we should be able to expect them to work properly.

Thanks for your help Fergie_B.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat