cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung Galaxy S2

Journeyman

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung Galaxy S2

Tee,

I'm pretty sure that they do stability testing on them but probably not against every single possible app or combination of data out there.  As a result there are bound to be things that are missed.

Think about it another way - if this was a PC upgrade, what would you do?  Most people would save their data and do a clean install just to make sure it runs at peak performance.  Same applies with your Epic 4G Touch.  It's the same concept but on a much smaller device.

Journeyman

This upgrade has for sure left a bitter taste in my mouth...

Im very glad the iphone is coming out in a couple of months... This definetly doesnt happen as often with them...

write this down.. My contract renews 11/01/2012 and I will have a different phone here in miami and IF the LTE is still not on then most likely i will switch to verizon... I dont use data enough to worry about data caps... Samsung and sprint now have 2 months to get their acts together!!

Journeyman

As a software developer, i couldnt disagree more. My issue, after my own monitoring, determined that its my 4g connection that  is the primary drain on my battery. This isnt about an app, its about  firmware, and its due to ics not being able to switch lte by default, and use the wimax signal. The result is a connection using a signal my phone cant even use. Which requires a lot of power when it does. I turned 4g off completely to have a phone that at least lasts through my work day.

Journeyman

No disrespect to your post Hapasan, but the E4GT has never supported LTE.  And yes, 4G (WiMax) does burn up the signal quite a bit... as well as heat up the phone.  But last time I checked this was the same for GB as well so I don't see how this is an ICS issue.

The new leak (FH23) introduced Sprint Connections Optimizer so I suspect they've realized this and are trying to address it as much as possible.  But this problem will not be going away as NV continues to roll out.  Another rumor is that Samsung may start selling a higher capacity battery (but requires possibly a different cover) - one that was available for other GS2 models.

Journeyman

garwynn wrote:

Tee,

I'm pretty sure that they do stability testing on them but probably not against every single possible app or combination of data out there.  As a result there are bound to be things that are missed.

Think about it another way - if this was a PC upgrade, what would you do?  Most people would save their data and do a clean install just to make sure it runs at peak performance.  Same applies with your Epic 4G Touch.  It's the same concept but on a much smaller device.

You are probably right. The thing is if we should have wiped the phone to do the new update, then it should have told us that before we let the system update to ICS. I have backed up my contacts, photos and music to Kies and if I have to I will wipe and reinstall, but we should not have to. I have done all the battery saving suggestions, cleared the cache and anything else to get better battery life since the ICS install and so far not helping. I have read to leave wifi on, then I have read to leave it off, so who knows what to do. I don't have 4g turned on, not bluetooth and only turn gps on when I use maps. Seems the biggest complaint since the install is battery drain.

I did see a longer lasting battery on one of the forums that I go to and it does require another back for the phone. I don't think I will get that because I have a case over my phone to keep from scratching/damageing it and the case will not fit over the bigger battery.

Wizard

Tee,

If you're having battery issues.  There was also a blog that was posted for tips and tricks to Improve Your Android Battery Life.  Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

Hours: 9am-8pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Journeyman

Since my last post about a week ago, I have noticed some things. Battery life has improved in FH13 slightly over FH18. Instead of draining at 5% + every hour, it's now about 3% + per hour. Not great but it's better than before. Also, my signal has improved sligthly. Before the ICS update I was getting about 2-3 bar at my normal places. When ICS & the FH18 build came, that sunk to no signal, roaming or 1 bar. FH13 has given me 2-3 bars again.

In all, FH13 is a slight improvement but I'm sure it's not what any of us were expecting.

Journeyman

With all due respect to the forum moderators, I don't buy any of it. Fergie seems super nice and sweet and all, but honestly, I would MUCH rather hear them say, "You know, we are really frustrated by it, too. The update broke what was otherwise a fantastic phone. And we are crawling up the backs of Samsung engineers to get things fixed. It's costing us customer loyalty every minute it's not fixed."

In the meantime, so many of us are stuck with otherwise useless devices that won't "go" for more than a couple hours. Read more here to see all that I have done to try to fix this mess and what the result is...

Journeyman

Fergie,

May i ask why you are telling people to go to some website to improve the battery life of the phone instaed of putting pressure on your company to FIX the issue right now. Let me tell you a story a few weeks ago that happened with one of your customer service. I called up and was speaking to a technical rep. When i told him the problems I was having with this phone he told me he would order me a new one and just click the dont allow ICS update whenever it pops up. That is not something i should have to do for the next year until my contract runs out  and before anyone ask me NO im not resigning a new contract just to get a new phone cause im done with sprint once my contract runs out.

Journeyman

I deliberately set up my Apps so that updates aren't automatically pushed at me, giving me the chance to peruse all the comments first (and as a result, I usually update maybe 1 of every 8 apps; why are Android apps so inherently... buggy? The iPhone may be outrageously priced, but when I owned one, I always knew the apps would work flawlessly--even though I like the Android "concept" better. Sigh). Not so with this latest OS upgrade. Was in the middle of sending a text message when I was pushed the 4.0.4 upgrade. And I've hated my Sprint Samsung S2 Epic 4G Touch phone ever since (and I'm "stuck" with it until next July, my next upgrade period). Have experienced nearly all the same problems as others:

--immediate and noticeable battery drain; even NOT using the phone at all, by end of the day I'm down at about 40% power

--much weaker signal (3 bars instead of usual 5)

--phone with use gets much warmer

--photos that accompany a contact are HUGE and fuzzy

--inexplicably, several phone numbers and email addresses in my Contacts changed--and they were not changed by me nor updated by my Contacts. The numbers and email addresses are now simply flat out WRONG all of a sudden. Have NO idea what's accounting for that.

--do not at all like the new copy/paste/delete feature; "old" style vastly preferable

As an Android phone, though I love them overall, just isn't as intuitive as an iPhone, now I find I need an actual *manual* to use my phone now with this ICS 4.0.4 pushed to my phone. Anyone know where online there's a manual for this phone/the ICS operating system? (Haven't checked for one anywhere on the Spring forum yet, but was curious if there was a non-Sprint-website ICS manual that's well-written, explains options/features/settings more fully.)

Am almost tempted to just "eat it" and dump the phone and go with a different one entirely, or, more extreme, REALLY "eat it" and pay the early termination fee and just go back to the iPhone, just to avoid cr#p like this that I just don't have time for.

And a question--when you go into the App Store and read the reviews of, particularly, app upgrades, so many of them are SO bad (even after weeding out the ones written by people who obviously are themselves responsible for why something no longer works a particular way), it makes me curious how Android is the leading smartphone on the market...

Journeyman

zatoichiblack I think the blog she mentioned is actually a "tip sheet" published by another Sprint Admin. So no fault there. Frankly, the software should be good enough to not require a blog post about tips to make it work. LOL.

But you are right about the Customer Service dude telling you to ignore the update. I suppose that is a temporary fix, but not good business.

It's like, "Dear customers, please use the back door of the grocery store and walk through the filthy employee area for the next year... while we try to fix our mess at the front of the store. Thanks for coming to Safeway!"

But at the end of the day, they should have tested a bit longer and fixed the problems before releasing.

It's a tough balance though, since all of us DEMAND the release ASAP. So they probably push it out and cross their fingers...

Wizard

zatoichiblack wrote:

Fergie,

May i ask why you are telling people to go to some website to improve the battery life of the phone instaed of putting pressure on your company to FIX the issue right now. Let me tell you a story a few weeks ago that happened with one of your customer service. I called up and was speaking to a technical rep. When i told him the problems I was having with this phone he told me he would order me a new one and just click the dont allow ICS update whenever it pops up. That is not something i should have to do for the next year until my contract runs out  and before anyone ask me NO im not resigning a new contract just to get a new phone cause im done with sprint once my contract runs out.

That's a fair question.  The website itself is a compiled list of best practices to improve your battery life.  Without knowing all of the variables, I will always recommend using those practices as there are a number of things that can cause battery drain.  That being said, of course all of your issues are being reported and compiled and Sprint, Samsung and Google are constantly working to resolve all reported issues.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat