cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung Galaxy S2

Journeyman

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung Galaxy S2

Sorry to revive an old thread but I wanted to find out if I am the only person STILL having issues with the ICS update on their Samsung Galaxy S2 phone? 

I've been VERY patient in waiting for Android and firmware updates and always immediately apply any that are released, but so far my phone still has the following issues:

1. The phone roams more frequently, signal strength (and call connect time/quality) appears to be lower

2. Shorter battery life

3. Phone runs noticebly hotter

It's been 6 months now.

Journeyman

If you haven't done a factory reset since updating, I strongly suggest it. I noticed "better" battery life afterwards, despite the hassle of resetting everything. It still isn't up to Gingerbread levels.

There are posts elsewhere on this forum that Jelly Bean is coming out sometime in February. I would hold on for another few weeks and see what happens.

Journeyman

Are they likely to make Jelly Bean available to the Galaxy S2?

Journeyman

Yes, I mean to say Jelly Bean is coming out for the Epic 4G Touch (Galaxy S2 on Sprint).

See this discussion here: http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/106104?start=15&tstart=0

And these reports: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Samsung-Galaxy-S2-Jelly-Bean-upgrade,news-16622.html

I suppose there's still a chance that Sprint won't push it out for us, but it seems unlikely given the development on the GA10 release thus far.

Journeyman

Well I didn't get Jelly Bean but they did push FL24 to my phone today. 

We'll see what difference, if any, this update makes ...

Journeyman

I just got FL24 today and it still looks like the battery is dropping 5% an hour doing next to nothing.  I have done everything short of a factory reset.

Journeyman

A factory reset is mandatory for anything of this nature.  I'm surprised that people are complaining without having done a reset first, which would've been a very logical step in the process.   There are free apps out there to backup all our contacts and SMS messages (even your apps, but i'd personally do a fresh install on those).

One could do a factory reset, and be back to normal within 15 minutes, if you knew what you're doing.

Journeyman

I was trying to avoid a factory reset.  I don't think I should have to clear everything to get an OS update to work.  I can't understand why they haven't figured out what is causing the issues.

I guarantee it will take me more than 15 minutes just to find a reliable backup app.  Then the time to backup everything, reset, and restore.  Re-installing all my apps (> 100) will take some time and I will lose any data associated with them.  And I assume all my launcher screens will be gone unless there is a way to backup those as well.

This experience has really soured me on Android / Samsung / Sprint.  Too many mods to the original OS and no one takes responsibilty and no effective way to report issues that I can tell.  At least with Apple you know you are dealing with one company.

Journeyman

I agree that it's bad form to require a factory reset. That said, I held off for a while after the first update to ICS but I definitely had a better experience after the factory reset.

Use the website to install your apps remotely. It's a lot faster. Not too much can be said about the process of logging back into each app.. Take a screenshot of each page so that you can reconstruct the layout of each page.

I don't think Android is to blame. Nexus devices don't require a factory reset after their (prompt and frequent) system updates. Samsung may make some of the best hardware for Android, but their post-sale device support and QA are severely lacking. Sprint and Samsung's mutual fingerpointing is not doing either a favor as far as reputation, but the delays to release the latest version of Android are far from unique.

As for Apple, go read about the battery drain issues with iOS 6.1. Yes, they're (relatively) quick to update, once they can be convinced it's a problem. Consider what else you sacrifice, like choice and be careful what you wish for. Variety is complexity and that complexity translates into an amazingly difficult task as far as quality assurance goes.

I think most people in this forum would agree that we would have waited another 3 months for ICS if it had meant a more stable version.

Journeyman

marke050860, i take it back, if i came across as judgemental.... 100+ apps is definitely a lot... i have probably less than 20, and i like i said, i don't like to install apps from a backup anyway because the new OS will process those APK's in a different way, and one might run into bugs as it tries to update the install packages for the previous OS.

I come from a world where i'd reformat my computer every single time i'd upgrade the OS, and sometimes i'd do it, even on the same OS, just to clean things up and make it all 'fresh' again.  Its anal, but i guess thereuapeutic for me.  I think of phone maintenance the same as computers.

As far as a program for backup... i know most hacker-types like Titanium.  To me, thats overkill. I really like Superbackup... its free, and does SMS, Contacts, and Apps.  Its as intuitively easy to operate as one could possibly imagine.  I'd recommend to get it installed, even if you don't ever do a reset, because maybe one day you'll have deleted a thread you didn't mean to, and want to get it back.

I will say, that our phone works wonderfully on Jellybean. (This is not the venue to instruct on how to get it, but just letting you know that good things are on the horizon)  I won't claim that the battery lasts for days and days, but i do not believe its less than average compared to anyone else's phone.   But, primarily, the navigation is so much more smoother, not to mention design enhancements.    

Journeyman

Not judgmental, just "optimistic"    Thanks for the backup recommendations.

I have hesitated to root the phone to get Jellybean.  My previous phone was a Palm Pre which was very easy to "root" and I loved the OS (hardware not so much).  The question is, will my problem still exist if and when Jellybean is installed?

Mark

Journeyman

deltaf,

I agree with everything you say.  Sprint has no ability to deal with software issues.  Every customer service person wants you to bring the phone into the store for them to check it out.  Apparently they have no way to verify that you have the proper software installed.  I tell them everytime it is not the phone - the problem started the day ICS was installed.  Then they don't know what to say.

I didn't want to imply Apple was perfect, but at least you know who to contact for issues.

I didn't think about using the website to load the apps.  I probably need to cut back anyway.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat