cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation errors

Go to solution
Journeyman

Installation errors

So I don't think I've ever had a successful installation of updates on this phone (even though the store employees says everything is fine).  I've researched the error message online...and basically everyone has said that I would need to root my phone in order for it to work. I don't want, nor really know how to root and break the warranty...though for all intents and purposes the phone is going on the pretty useless list (along with my beloved palm pre). I get a request to install updates 4 to 5 times a day. Not weekly, not monthly. A DAY*. The last time I took it to the store, I was told to do a factory reset to fix another issue that the phone was having with another application. But as soon as I turned the phone the installation update reappeared.  The CSR just told me to click ignore and that oh golly, you are eligible for your upgrade now.  @#$$#%  Yes, I want to buy another #!@$@!#$@!# phone from you for $400.  That's exactly what I want to do.

Anyway, the error message begins

E: update file is backed up: Reportedted

-- Installing package...

Finding update package...

Openinig update package...

Verifying update package...

Installing update...

Verifying current system...

Updating modem...

script aborted (no error message)E:Error in /cache/182a027d4f63.SPH-D710_update_GG30_to_EK02.zip (status 7)

Installation aborted.

The Android System recovery <3e>

offers the reboot system now

apply update from sdcard

wipe stat/factory reset

wipe cache partition

as I stated on a separate thread, I'm on Gingerbread.e30 I bought this phone in September 2011 and it's been semi-crappy since getting it.

Is there anything that I can do to one, fix the phone and/or get updates...and two stop these daily notifications.

If there are easy, dumbdowned step by step instructions, I will tear this $#@$# phone apart and upgrade to jellybeancreamsandwich or whateve I need to stop this ridiculousness. I just want a phone that works without causing so many problems.

*hyperbolic. Yes, it is multiple times a day. Especially if I turn the phone off for any reason or the battery runs out and I turn it on have charging. But it will be random times during the day as well.

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: Installation errors

I would try wiping the cache. that doesn't remove any apps or settings. Maybe the update is corrupt and that may cause it to redownload. EG30 to EK02 was the first over the air update for the phone from December 2011. You can go into setting / about phone to find your build number and Android version and see if you are actually on build EG30.

Wizard

Try installing Kies from Samsung and install the update to the lastest version of ICS if you want.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i'm getting the same message, they said it was because my phone was rooted that's why the installation failed.  I'll have to unroot the phone first in order to receive ota updates :-(

Journeyman

Thanks for the response:

Android version 2.3.4

Build GINGERBREAD.EG30

are you saying that I should be on EK02?

Journeyman

FL24 is the current release. Here is a link to the post about the software updates.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/samsung/samsung_epic_...

Journeyman

Thanks again. So the updating to FL didn't work on the phone, and didn't work when I finally called sprint tech service, though the lady was very helpful and tried hard to make it happen. Eventually, she told me to go to samsung kies and download the program and go from there. So that took a bit of jigging because of my internet connection. But finally and the 92 segments are finally on my phone. bye bye square phone answering capability.   It's trying to activate Optimizer right now so need to go read how to turn that off. 

Journeyman

Hey Sean, this is the first time I've seen your response...so you are getting some mega points from me. Meant to say that Kies OTA didn't work for me either...had to do the whole wired thing. Oh well. just glad to have the upgrade right now.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat