cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the epic 4G touch a good phone?................No

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is the epic 4G touch a good phone?................No

I purchased an epic 4G shortly after they became available, and found it to be very good at doing almost everthing...........but picking up a signal. I had it checked out by several phone techs, called customer service, updated the software on a regular basis, but was never happy with it's performance as a phone. The only way that I could even function, is that I use a second phone, which I was forced to use on a regular basis due to lack of signal on the Epic. This was a $25.00 used Motorola V950. It worked perfectly on the same account, in the same location, on the same towers. Why would a very high end phone not perform as well as an older, cheaper phone? Like an idiot, I upgraded to the newer 4G touch after about a year. Surely they have worked out the issue by now, right? Nope, same problem from day one. I delt with the same crappy situation for around 5 months now, until the phone took a bad spill. This is a very durable phone, but it landed wrong on a hard pointy object face down. As much as that sucked, I was kind of happy about it. I purchased a Motorola Photon 4G, which on paper is a slight downgrade. This new phone makes the Samsung look like a steaming pile. Great 3G and 4G reception in all the spots that the epic would crap out. I don't know why they don't care (or can't fix) this problem, but I wasted around a year and a half of my life putting up with it. Don't buy an Epic, you have too much to live for!

Did I just get a couple of duds? The thought crossed my mind. Two of my friends recently purchased the Epic 4G Touch, and are ready to pull their hair out over the same reception issues. I am in San Marcos, Texas, but as the Motorola phones both work perfectly, I would have to assume this is a wide spread issue.

Anyone else need to vent, or want to stick up for the Epic line?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Is the epic 4G touch a good phone?................No

There is a place to vent on these forums its called "speak you mind".  I like the Epic Touch and the reception is fine.  My only complaint is the unpredictable GPS but every phone has positives and negatives.  I'm glad the photon works for you (I almost chose that phone) but I'm happy with the Epic.  Good luck with the Photon, Rick.

Journeyman

I recently purchased the Epic4g.  I am enjoying the phone for the simple fact that the screen is HUGE! This was the main reason I purchased the phone. I have been with Sprint since the late 90's. At one point the reception was great but I attributed that to the area in which I lived.  Now that I know longer live in that area my reception has "sucked". No matter what phone.  I have had the Katana, Rant, the Lotus clam shell one (which I disliked with a passion), the Optimus (again I disliked with a passion) and now the Epic 4g (which I love with a passion . Anyway I agree with you on the 3g and 4g issues.  I have yet to be able to stream without issues (and I just give up) But I still love the phone.  I attribute all of this to the area in which I live. My recetion has been that way since I moved also. Each time I have talked with Sprint but they could not find an issue. I am not going to change carries because I have not found one comparable to what I am paying. Anyway I love the Epic 4g irregardless of the issues.

Wizard

Motorola seems to hands-down have the best radios. And Samsung seems to generate more complaints about reception than other smartphones.

Personally, I am an Evo 4G guy and plan to get the Evo LTE. Although I love the screens on the Samsungs, I am one of those that prefer the Sense interface as well as not wanting to deal with potential reception issues.

However, I would also be perfectly happy with a Moto Photon. And the reception cannot be beat.

Journeyman

I turned in my HTC for a Samsung Epic 4G a little less than a month ago. The reception has been terrible for me, also. I am in the same area I used my HTC in and it was fine. I'm going to turn this in before my 30 days is up and go for another HTC or may try the Motorola Photon recommended by some of you.

Journeyman

I live in Atlanta, GA.  I upgraded to Epic 4G last October after much debate.  Sprint's speeds are not very good compared to other carriers but their prices are better.  With my previous phone, HTC Hero, I could barely get a signal in my house but the phone did work .  I hoped that upgrading would help but have been very disappointed.  My phone goes into Data Roaming without fail and has recently started going into Phone Roaming.  This is unacceptable.  I shouldn't go into roaming mode in a major metropolitan area especially in my own home.  I can not get a signal in my office or my girlfriend's apartment.  I may try rooting the phone to see if that helps but otherwise will be opting out of my contract and switching carriers.  An extra $15/month is worth a strong signal in my house.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat