cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Epic 4G Touch

Highlighted
GrandMaster

dang....and i was sooo looking foreward to a rewards sprint sweater or something lol.. speedo sporting the sprint logo maybe?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

These are my issues.

Occasional LoS.  (about 2 times a week)

Nonexistant GPS.  Seldom locks.

Phone goes into roaming.

I get a different answer every time I go into the store.

My take is that most of this has to do with very weak radios.  Some reps have said that the fabled update, which "is coming" will fix all of these issues.  Some reps say that is is only for the LoS issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have errors sending sms, receiving mms, poor radio signals, extremely poor battery drain, never had gps on long enough to connect.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Issues with Epic 4G Touch

I've had the phone for over a month now and I have had the same reoccurring problems.

1. Weak signal in my home and others locally. I can understand some bugs with youtube apps or other issues but how does a signal issue even occur after having cell phones for 20 years? I'm not irrate about it, but this is something that should never leave quality control or atleast when you sign a contract you're told upfront that the coverage in your area is spotty at best.
  2. The phone often goes into roaming at my home. Now this may be a blessing in disguise lol. When i'm in roaming my signal goes from -102db to around -94. not much of a gain but atleast theres some improvement. Still, I'm clearly in the confines of the sprint coverage map so it is worth noting.
  3. I've had issues where my phone simply does not ring and phone calls go directly to voicemail. I can oddly call out, but I have no indication that someone is trying to call me. A restart of the phone fixes the problems (boy do the text messages and voicemails pile up on a reboot) but again, I bought a phone assuming it would act as a phone first.

I love the phone hardware wise. its fast, great display, great camera, over all the best phone I've ever had...however I want a "PHONE" first! I hope this maitenance release comes soon because I'm sure this type of customer experience is not good for Sprint even if its a Samsung issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just discovered the wired headset control bug for myself after loading music onto my phone.  The lack of headseat control is both a usability and a safety issue.  It is a showstopper issue for me and will likely result in returning my two SGSII's.  It's unfortunate such a great phone has fatal usability flaws like this one.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've noticed with the new update my keyboard is slower at typing and also the camera has changes made to jt tgat I absolutly HATE! How can I uninstall this update?

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

I've been having the following issues with my Epic Touch 4g...

1) The screen randomly quits on me. Once the screen times out it will not wake back up without me taking out the battery.  This has happened daily for the last week at least.

2) The signal is weak. I had the original Evo 4g and that phone (although without dual core processor) had a great signal around my house. Gave that phone to my hubby and now he has a good signal in our home where I have to move towards the outside to get one. Is it the antenna?

3) In Sprint Zone it constantly says that there is a profile and PRL update available. I update, but the message never goes away. Is it just a bug that this message won't clear, or is my phone actually not updating? It would be great if there was an update that would perhaps fix the screen problem I mentioned above.

4) It continuosly searches for a GPS signal. I have to power cycle my phone to get a GPS signal when using maps

This phone has awesome potential but for my everyday practical uses having the screen not work, a weak signal, and the GPS regularly not work is a huge hassle. Especially since I use these functions for work too. Is Sprint and/or Samsung aware and doing something about this?

Highlighted

ewo wrote:

I've been having the following issues with my Epic Touch 4g...

1) The screen randomly quits on me. Once the screen times out it will not wake back up without me taking out the battery.  This has happened daily for the last week at least.

2) The signal is weak. I had the original Evo 4g and that phone (although without dual core processor) had a great signal around my house. Gave that phone to my hubby and now he has a good signal in our home where I have to move towards the outside to get one. Is it the antenna?

3) In Sprint Zone it constantly says that there is a profile and PRL update available. I update, but the message never goes away. Is it just a bug that this message won't clear, or is my phone actually not updating? It would be great if there was an update that would perhaps fix the screen problem I mentioned above.

4) It continuosly searches for a GPS signal. I have to power cycle my phone to get a GPS signal when using maps

This phone has awesome potential but for my everyday practical uses having the screen not work, a weak signal, and the GPS regularly not work is a huge hassle. Especially since I use these functions for work too. Is Sprint and/or Samsung aware and doing something about this?

There are Sprint reps who frequent this forum saying there is a fix in the works.  Usually Maintenance Releases come out long before now however Samsung phones seem to take a much more time than others.  The Galaxy S2  phones have been out for a while now so I don't understand what's taking Sprint/Samsung so long.  An official comment or acknowledgement would be appreciated,  "can you hear me now Sprint".

Highlighted
Journeyman

Since I know a sprint rep will not post this information on here since (most of them are not allowed to talk about it)

There is a current testing rom inside of Sprint build number and baseband number are EK02 (With Android 2.3.6 on board) This new build is the fix that is going around inside of Sprint for testing of the LOS + Apps Crashing Also The phone being Useless while charging (screen acting weird)  I'm not sure if there are more but I know the fix is there and it IS legit.  It's being worked on guys give it a bit more time we should have it in hand soon (rumor is December rollout OTA)

Edit.

BTW Just to make it clear the build number (EK02) is subject to change if this turns out to not fully work or issues do show up but this fix has been there for the about 2 weeks(or so now) with no new updates (iirc)

Highlighted
Journeyman

So this means what? From what you know there's a fix in the works for LOS/crashing apps/charging issue....but we have to wait. You have a build number.

I don't see what this tells us that we don't already know....which is nothing concrete.

I really don't see a lot of point in posting rumors....Sprint do enough of that themselves.

Journeyman

SC20111128-194021.jpg

Is this Rumor enough for you?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah it was also mentioned on this website aswell...

http://phandroid.com/2011/11/28/fix-for-samsung-epic-4g-touchs-loss-of-signal-bug-reportedly-on-the-...

Besides the loss of signal does anybody know if [ROAMING] alot in an area with good coverage is part of this whole LOS fiasco?

I tend to raom a lot in good areas with this phone when I never did such thing with my Evo 4G.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat