cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Epic 4G Touch

Highlighted
Wizard

Based on your feedback, Sprint and Samsung are troubleshooting issues reported by the users.

Most of these issues are intermittent and are not experienced by all customers.  Workarounds are noted below where applicable.  

More information will be posted here as it becomes available.  We apologize for any inconvenience. If we find any more issues we will address them as well.

Radio loses signal - In some cases the device may lose signal and show a circle/slash indicating loss of coverage on the status bar.

Workaround: A full power cycle of the device will resolve the issue and allow the device to begin functioning normally.

Sprint and Samsung are troubleshooting this issue. This issue is not occurring on all devices. 

Weak reception/Goes into Roaming - This issue has been reported by some of our users in community. We are looking into it as well.

206 REPLIES 206
Highlighted
Wizard

wjmatt,

This is an issue we have received reports of and I'm trying to gather more information on that in this thread.

Highlighted
Wizard

Hi guys,

Does "Weak reception/Goes into Roaming" also include slow 3G speeds compared to other phones such as the HTC Evo Shift?  I have documented this pretty thoroughly in the other threads.  The Epic is hauling down 200-400kbps less than older phones.  If not, then please add this and investigate this.  It is wide spread from all the comments from many different forums.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

My device takes a considerable period of time (up to 6 or 7 minutes) to get a GPS signal lock. This is with GPS and WIFI location settings turned on, and even after clearing cached GPS data and loading new info on satellite locations. Somewhere I read that this might be related to the signal/reception issue a lot of people have. But for the most part, I have not had this issue with my phone. I may have lost my signal once in the past week.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Did we need another thread of issues? If you have read my thread, you could have commented there. I have a list there of known issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here is a very serious issue that needs to be addressed. 

Games are randomly crashing on this phone.  Here are some links to existing forums and discussions. 

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1265828

http://androidforums.com/samsung-epic-4g-touch/415823-games-crashing.html

I used LogCat to document the fatal error while playing RoboTek.  Here it is -        F/Looper ( 8065): Could not create wake pipe. errno=24

The game also has random drops in FPS.  If you need more logs or tests let me know.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got this phone yesterday.

-Upgraded from an HTC EVO and now my signal is very weak at home but my E4G says FULL BARS? 

-Same with my Wifi, I'm litterally a couple inches from my router and there is like 2 Bars for my Wifi on the phone? 

-I'am now Roaming in placed where I usually get Full Bars and I do have full bars stationary.

They have to be working on something.  I really like this phone and I remeember the Original Galaxy phone having similar issues

that is why I waited for this phone instead. grrrr  No matter how great thisphone is it has to be FUNCTIONAL.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think the bigger issue is a battery.

First of all live time is pretty small for 1850 mAh battery ... even on lowest brightness and no sound with 3G turned off playing game lasts about an hour on a full charge. And I feel like it's not calibrated right cause it changes time from time.

Also while playing games ona phone for periods more then 10 min makes phone heat up alot. The top part of the phone next to the camera. It's probably where CPU is at.

I really hope those issues can be resolved pretty soon, otherwise I'm really dissapointed with Samsung.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Other issues to be resolved please:

When plugged into my laptop using the driver provided by Samsung on their website for this phone, I can not charge, I can not sync using Kies, and when it is plugged in the touchscreen becomes entirely inverted. Trying to unlock my phone via the pattern is impossible.

At first set-up my GMail would not sync at all without being forced. I realized yesterday that the issue was the default option to sync with GMail was turned off and that was a rough one to find. For new users to an Android powered phone this could be a serious issue. HTC never had this issue with the phones I've used so I'm shocked that Samsung has them set as such.

I'm also having issues with the phone when it enters into Power-Saving Mode it never reverts out of it when it's been charged. Like my screen time-out reverts to 10 seconds and it will NOT go back to 30 seconds even with a full charge. I had to go in and just change the power-saving option to timeout the display at 30 seconds. I did ensure that the non-power saving display timeout was set to 30 seconds as well.

While it may be a Facebook app issue I doubt it since my friends aren't having the same issues with the same version of the application, but I have to do a forced update on every screen of the app with this phone. Like if I am notified there is a new update to a post, I go to the post, and then have to do the screen pull to see what the update actually is.

My weather information on my home screen was still showing me Friday's forecast this morning so I had to manually update that as well.

I mean seriously how is this phone so incredibly broke right out of the gate and still being touted as an iPhone killer... I'm flabbergasted.

Highlighted

sagosto28 - I asked for an "official" list to be kept by a Sprint Admin/Tech so that they can add to it (in their original post) - I am hoping they will add issues to their original post so everyone can see what has been reported. I am giving them time to do this. I know it has been done for other phones and thought it would be good. So hopefully, they will use your list that you started. Thanks

Highlighted
Journeyman

Please don't forget about the android OS battery drain issue.  My Epic Touch 4g has worse battery life than my year old Evo 4g 😞  This is unacceptable.

Highlighted
Journeyman

What about the camera? My shortcuts won't save. Is anyone else experiencing this? I also think the lag between pushing the power button and the screen turning on is too long. My evo was faster and this is supposed to be a quicker phone. I have a pattern lock enabled but this was the same case with my old evo.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat