cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Epic 4G Touch

Highlighted
Journeyman

Will all respect, I’m not calling you a liar but if this is a new build, is it a fix? If it is will we ever get it?

My point is that it’s all speculative (even the other website noted in the post above says “if it’s true”) There’s no confirmed statement from Sprint ANYWHERE that they acknowledge this issue, let alone saying they will fix it and its way past the time that Sprint should have something more definitive and public instead of another ‘maybe, let’s wait and see’.

Nothing personal, I’m just sick of the speculation regarding this issue and I want Sprint to answer us.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint WON'T answer anyone till the fix is official.  The fact that this is the "latest" build and it's over 2 weeks old should say something though.  As for a fix time will tell.  Any Sprint customer should know this by now.  I've been with Sprint going on 2 months and I even knew that before hand and coming here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

That doesn't make sense. There's absolutely no reason why sprint can't publish a 'update on the way' notice on their website, they've done it before with other phones. This would allieviate all of the calls to their CS reps and debates in forums...especially if there is something in the pipe, but no, there's nothing...not even an acknowledgement that the issue exists. If you called CS or visit a sprint store today, they'll deny they've ever heard of it. Perhaps that's ignorance...perhaps not but from my point of view, I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel. I've been told by way too many reps and techs that a fix is next week/month/few days.

Where does it say that the build you show is the latest? You say its a fact! Where....and the fact that its 2 weeks old means nothing to me....apart from if its a fix, its at least 2 weeks late!!

What all Sprint customers should know is that Sprint really doesn't care too much as to how soon this gets fixed...if ever, as the E4GT has had its day and its on to bigger and better things.

Highlighted
Journeyman

There is a way to check for rdf files on Sprints website I have to keep this short as I'm in class right now.  The simple fact is with each rdf file that posted it's a "new" build of a patch or update thats being worked on.  The rdf files for the E4GT started to show up about a month+ ago the last rdf file that was seen was the EK02 rdf which is the update that has been there for the last 2 weeks.

I do agree the update needs to be pushed unless they find something out that is NOT fixed with what this is supossed to be fixing.  2 weeks after the build and still no new updates makes me wonder if they didn't find the golden one and are working on something else I don't really know.  Fact remains it's been out since the 2nd (iirc on how rdf's work off the top of my head the 02 iirc stands for November 2nd) and actually if my memory is right that would make this patch about 1 month old now (close to it)

Anyways I have class peace.

Highlighted
Journeyman

as of right now there is a system dump of this rom on xda. they are doing some things to see what this does exactly and there is a new modem inside of it. so it could very well be the fix we seek

Highlighted

Re: Issues with Epic 4G Touch

SMILLER2007 - First, I am a Sprint customer like you with the Epic 4G Touch (have been a customer over 11 years with currently 4 smartphones on my plan). I have to disagree with you that Sprint has not acknowledged there are issues. Specifically in this discussion thread it has been acknowledged by Sprint Admins (specifically Shane_M) and that the dev team is working on a solution. To say that they have had the latest build for "over 2 weeks" should say something, why? This means they are doing their due diligence regarding testing (sure don't want other defects introduced) and if the defect is corrected great.

Now, I do agree that Sprint should post something in this forum to state that they are currently working on a Maintenance Release and they anticipate a release within the next 4 weeks (or whatever timeframe). They will take a hit if they don't meet it but I believe they are taking a "bigger hit" by being silent about a release. Keeping customers informed (good or bad) generally provides a happier customer base that will trust the business.

On a side note, I have already posted reviews and comments about the Epic 4G Touch with both pros and cons but specifically have stated (including on Samsung's site in the reviews) that if the signal strength/reception issue is not addressed with this phone, I will "not"purchase another Samsung phone until I hear (not by Samsung but actual users/customers) they have specifically addressed their antenna/radio issues (specifically related to data) on the Sprint network.

Highlighted
Journeyman

In my opinion, Sprint should have generated good will by acknowledging the existence of a problem. They could have

said that Sprint and Samsung are aware of the issues (Loss of signal, digital roaming, inability to get a GPS fix, dropped calls, etc)

and they are working on a solution. Had they done this, I wouldn't have returned my Epic 4G Touch on the 14th day to avoid an ETF. I wanted to keep

the phone but I wasn't convinced that this wasn't a hardware problem which probably could not be resolved with a "Patch".

The end result for me is that I will be staying away from Samsung cell phones in the future and am considering taking my 3 lines of

service to VZW.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

for the amount of people that would be happy to see a time range on when this fix would come out and not be bothered to much if they miss that time frame...you'll have tripple that amount of furious people because they didnt meet that stated time frame. even if it was a vague one in the first place. the same thing happens when people scream for the latest and greatest update to come out...then they scream about it having bugs.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

What about the GPS taking forever to get a fix. I have to turn on gps 3 days in advacne to ensure that the gps is connected when I use it on road trips. Will we ever get an update to fix the horrible GPS signal? I get low cellular reception, but not any drop calls.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

I've tested GPS every which way on four of our test phones here, all of them get a very quick and accurate lock, even after powering off/on, or factory restore does it take more than a few minutes to get a GPS lock?

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I did a factory reset on mine and it has not gotten it's first lock yet. Few minutes try hours maybe even days. I may send it back to Samsung. Had I thought to test the GPS on day one I would have swapped it out in store. I just figured that GPS was the least of my worries.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have problems with GPS since new.  I use my GPS and My Tracks to record my bike ride.  Not only it is not very accurate, and it takes a few mintues to half an hour to lock.  A few times My Tracks would stop recording because the GPS lost signal.  Like today, I was on a 46 miles ride and it only recorded 26 miles of the ride.  The battery is horriable once the GPS lost signal.  After a 4 hours ride, my battery was down to 16%, I started the ride with 94%.  From battery usage screen, My Tracks used 45% and Android System used 40%.  I hope you guys can come up with a fix soon.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat