cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List of known issues with phone

Highlighted
Journeyman

I might be beating a dead horse here but I really want to emphasize the issues we have with this phone. I only have about a week left of the really short 14 day return period. I am not sure how long the suposed update is coming and don't know what the update will specifically fix.

-LOS issue

I don't get this issue per say but I do get reception issues.

-Reception issues

I get weaker reception on this phone than I did on my palm pixi. At home I get barely any reception and at work I get no signal at all. The palm pixi had better reception at home and at work. This defeats the purpose of having an actual phone to make and receive calls without hitches.   

-weak WIFI signal

I am a foot away from my router and I only get 2 bars. I have to place the phone over the antenna to get a full complete signal.

-Roaming issue

I am not sure if this is related to having weaker reception or the LOS, but I get roaming messages in my area where I know I have good sprint coverage. I shouldn't be roaming whatsoever in my area.

-very slow Data speeds

I am not sure if this is normal but I get .3mbps down on 3g and I barely pass 1 mbps down on 4g.

-Android OS bug

This issue is really bugging me(pun intended). One night I had the battery at 75% and next morning it was down to 40% . I checked battery usage and saw that the android os was on top of the list with 65%! I didn't install any new apps and I had no widgets on my homescreen. I also had auto sync off. I did a factory reset and the android os decreased to 30%, but that is still high for a phone that isn't doing anything except for making phone calls and text.

Before anyone wants to start flaming on this thread, I wanted a thread where we have a list that conveniently states known issues. Please add your experiences or even add to what I mentioned on the list.

Thank you.

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Journeyman

List of issues with phone

Call customer service and have them check your cell tower.  Mine was having a problem and the tower had been hit by lighting so while it worked it had some issues.  

As far as LOS and reception, it must be your specific phone because I have 5 or 6 bars on mine vs. my wifes Evo that has 2 or 3 generally.

Good luck, hopefully the tower is the problem for you.

Highlighted

Thanks sagosto28 - I am hoping that a Sprint Admin will start an issues log and post

Additional:

• Stock Charger (intermittent issue) - lagging/freezing screens making movement, use of applications, messaging, etc unusable. Even did a soft reset which was suggested by Samsung Rep (seemed to work initially but started again within the charging time). Second phone and still having issues - FYI - works if charging with my HTC Hero charger.
  • WiFI connection - first it took 3 days to keep a connection to my network (not sure why it started all of a suddent) but the signals are weaker throughout the house (do not have that with other devices on my network nor other phones)
  • Not able to keep a 4G connection although my area supposedly has 4G (do not have another phone to compare)
  • Data speeds are "no better" than my HTC Hero (now they should be) and it seems like the 3G connection goes in/out
  • Stock Internet does not allow to go to full site if the site also has a mobile site and I am not able to go to a work email site (web outlook) with the stock internet (I did install Opera Mobile)
  • The following are more minor issues:
  • Phone dialer - more cumbersome to get to a different phone number if someone has multiple numbers attached
  • Contacts - not able to choose "default" way to contact someone
  • Messaging - not able to set to use only mobile number (or just phone numbers) when sending text
  • No widget to turn mobile data on/off (I know one can download a widget) but I think this should be standard on a phone (especially to save battery)

Thanks again - trying to decide if I want to keep this phone or not.

Highlighted
Journeyman

No problem mrc, that's exactly what I would like to see. I am glad you mentioned wifi because I forgot to add this to the list. I also do get really weak wifi signal. I have 2 bars when I am only a  foot away from my router. I have to place the phone right over the  antenna to get a full signal. Other threads have mentioned about weak wifi signal. Thanks.

Highlighted
Wizard

mrcminnesota wrote:

Thanks sagosto28 - I am hoping that a Sprint Admin will start an issues log and post

Additional:

• Stock Charger (intermittent issue) - lagging/freezing screens making movement, use of applications, messaging, etc unusable. Even did a soft reset which was suggested by Samsung Rep (seemed to work initially but started again within the charging time). Second phone and still having issues - FYI - works if charging with my HTC Hero charger.
  • WiFI connection - first it took 3 days to keep a connection to my network (not sure why it started all of a suddent) but the signals are weaker throughout the house (do not have that with other devices on my network nor other phones)
  • Not able to keep a 4G connection although my area supposedly has 4G (do not have another phone to compare)
  • Data speeds are "no better" than my HTC Hero (now they should be) and it seems like the 3G connection goes in/out
  • Stock Internet does not allow to go to full site if the site also has a mobile site and I am not able to go to a work email site (web outlook) with the stock internet (I did install Opera Mobile)
  • The following are more minor issues:
  • Phone dialer - more cumbersome to get to a different phone number if someone has multiple numbers attached
  • Contacts - not able to choose "default" way to contact someone
  • Messaging - not able to set to use only mobile number (or just phone numbers) when sending text
  • No widget to turn mobile data on/off (I know one can download a widget) but I think this should be standard on a phone (especially to save battery)

Thanks again - trying to decide if I want to keep this phone or not.

I haven't seen any of these issues, but don't have 4G in my area.  But RE: your minor issues:

• phone dialer - I see what you mean, but....see contacts below.
    • Contacts - you need to long press on the number you want to be the default, and it'll give you the option to set as default.  Then it will be the first number that pops up when you type in their name.  By default this phone goes to mobile numbers and not land lines, I've noticed.
    • Messaging - just download Handcent.  The stock messaging app from Samsung is really, really, really weak.  You can only text to 10 people at a time and it always shows email addresses and home numbers....lame!  Handcent allows you to set all that j.unk and different modes, etc.
    • Widget for mobile data is lacking.  Agreed.  I used that quite a bit on my Evo, but can get there nonetheless through a couple more taps.
    Highlighted

mmark27  Thank you so much for the contact tip - it worked. But as an FYI, it was not defaulting to mobile in the name that I had noticed the issue on. But I did change it to default! Really appreciate that.

I had downloaded another message app and then went back to stock. I may try Handcent again.

Also - need to add WiFi "constantly scanning" - I believe it may be in an issue log somewhere but want to put in this one as well. Even when I "unchecked" Network Notification it still searches for other networks when I am connected. Whether this drains battery or not, it should not be searching for networks!!

Highlighted
    Journeyman

Re: List of known issues with phone

Download Juice Defender and it will automatically turn off mobile data when the screen is off, the free version.  The paid version turns off all radios.Works great, have it on three phones and prolongs battery life significantly Also it turns mobile data on every so often to download emails and text when the screen is off.  I have had zero problems using this app.

Highlighted

More issues:

-the Screen seems to sporadically time out so quickly (have adjusted time) - have it set to 2 minutes and it can go dark sooner than that

-it doesn't seem to capture default immediately (noticed on the Launcher as well as when I installed another Browser - kept asking to set default even though I had)

-Has anyone noticed the "double scanning" that occurs (message media scanner running at top of phone) occurs twice each time the phone is started

sagosto28 - I am wondering if you want to add issues to your original as they are posted (keep in one spot?)- thanks for your original list!

Highlighted
    Journeyman

Well I wanted to have a list of issues that have been documented by many  people through this forum and other forums throughout the internet.  These on the list have been the main issues. The double scanning you  mentioned I think is normal. It says media scanner and another one says  it for the usb storage. The other issues you have mentioned hasn't  happened to me or haven't tested yet. If there are others who can  corroborate the issues you have I will surely add it to the list. 

Highlighted
    Wizard

Look for Mobile Data Switch in the Android Market by myreallife. Works great!

And here's the link! https://market.android.com/details?id=com.myreallife.mobiledata&feature=search_result

Message was edited by: mmark27_ to add the link

Highlighted
    Journeyman

I have been monitoring my phone with system panel and saw that the system processes are eating my battery specifically suspend and events. The average consumption over a 3 day period is 10%. I don't know exactly what those do, but it's getting out of control. The android os is showing 53% of battery usage.

Highlighted
    Journeyman

Had this phone for 2-weeks now and for the most part I love it. But there seems to be a problem with its ability to connect in a stable fashion. I'm close to a Sprint tower at home but futher away at work. My 3G drops qite a bit during the workday and 4G is really spotty. Home is fine. But my wireless connection is real strange both G & N appear to be very weak. You have to be right next to the router to get anything more than 2-bars. My Moment got a better lock on my wireless. The wifes new Epic is much, much better on my network. Sprint definately has an issue with the radio on this phone.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
    Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
    If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat