cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Highlighted
Journeyman

I guess that would explain whats happening. I sure hope it isnt a hardware issue.

Journeyman

Not sure about a sleep/wake issue. I was viewing system information and watched as the signal bars dropped and that little symbol popped up. My signal here is full strength.

Journeyman

i just got off the phone with sprint and they told me that samsung has pushed an update on friday to fix a delay in receiving  text messages which has borked the internal antenna.

that would explain why i only started having problems with los yesterday....

sprint will give you a ticket number which you give to a sprint repair store and they will repair your phone for free

call up and get it fixed.

its only going to get worse!

Journeyman

This isn't an SMS issue. And Samsung pushed an update? How? When? What? Samsung and Sprint acknowledged on Friday that there was an issue with 4G hotspot... but they didn't push any update. And if they did you would have known it as it would have notified you and asked you to accept it.

Sounds like this rep is very much uninformed. Let us know what the stores say.

Sprint Employee

Hello joey.s the phone should have software version EG30, this is the version the phone was released with. I see no software maintenance releases as of yet. So far I do not see any documented reports or investigations for poor radio performance, or delayed SMS. If you are having trouble with poor radio performance (Unexpected low signal, or triggered no service until phone powered off/on) then the best choice would be to take your phone into a Sprint service center, the technician can report this so the problem may be investigated.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Re: Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Well, that is about right.  WAS going to upgrade to this phone but not now. How the hell can companys push these latest greatest phones out with all these bugs? Gimmee a breal already. Getting tired of being the 6 month guenia pig. If you need some testing put a few out in the field first. Geez the concept is so simple a monkey could do it.  WAIT! WE ARE THE MONKEYS

Sprint Employee

Honestly michaelmenou, we have a couple dozen of these in our phone room. each one I've played with have worked perfectly. It's an incredible phone. I even went so far as to compare signal strength with the Epic touch to an Evo shift, and a transform, they all three got apx the same values (only 1-3 dBm difference while on same channel). you may be best of by checking it out, hands on, in a sprint store, bestbuy, or radio shack where they may have a live demo unit.

Journeyman

RC1024 - I suggest that you take them out of the phone room and go use them for awhile as your phone (say maybe a day) - you'll see the issue. Too often phones are "tested" to see if a problem exists but their scope of testing is maybe an hour max (though not saying that is necessarily the case in this example). 

Maybe turn each one on, have it activated to something so it actually has a network connection, and then let it sit - don't plug it in since people don't use them all day that way. Just activate them and let them run - periodically make phone calls, send texts, browse the web, and let it sit like a normal user would. Then see what happens. Use it like users do in the real world. Guarantee you'll see a problem with at least one if not more than that.

The number of people having this issue suggests that there actually is a problem and not just an isolated incident.

Sprint Employee

hello Jerdog1976, by no means am I discounting the possibility of a problem like this occurring with this phone. The facts are at this time we do not have any documented cases of this being a problem, or being investigated, I do understand my comparison is not real world, and is limited. unfortunately I would not be able to take a phone from this environment, or keep it for an extended time. this is part of the reason we have the store techs, they can test these devices, and feedback results to a team of developers, the reports received from the sprint service centers start the investigations that prompt software updates, and help recognize defects which may exist.

Journeyman

I understand. I am pointing more to a history of how testing actually happens with devices whenever a problem is reported.

You'll notice early on in this discussion that Shane identified that they are investigating, and I have been providing him with logcats and dumpstate logs whenever the issue happens (3 times this morning - and on average 2-3 times/day).

Journeyman

Ouch!

Thanks for heads up I will be ruturning mine going with ATT version to be released on Sunday

Sprint Employee

I'm going solely on information made available across our enterprise related to documented problems with our devices, and investigations which may lead to these reports. we routinely will suggest that you have the phone checked in a sprint service center because they would be able to send debugging logs to developers for evaluation, and may collect samples to send for further inspection. we have no other means to get samples in for affected devices.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat