cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Journeyman

Re: Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Can you post your your ABOUT PHONE stats, speciifcally the BaseBand Ver and Kernel?

Just a  curiousity. I'm on SSmiley Very Happy710.10.10 s.EG30 and Kernel  2.6.35.7-sph-D710.EG30-CL435734     Hardware Ver. is  D710.10. 

I haven't had one LOS issue, nor have my friends, though there is always one short area we all roam but it switches flawlessly.  I'm going to head over to the Phandroid and DEV droid forums to see if they have an answer yet. Typically I think, the developers who hack the phones seem to come up with the answsers first, and then the manu's take that fix and roll it into a solution.   Just a theory of course..

Journeyman

Looks the same as yours.

XDA devs haven't found any solutions or causes yet. As of now, there are rooted and nonrooted ET4Gs with LoS issues. Some have them regularly, some have them rarely, some didn't see issues until a week after or two weeks after. I didn't have any issues til about 4-5 days after I got mine. I've been stock unrooted since day 1 because the phone really is amazing on its own. Its a damn shame Samsung and Sprint have to ruin this phones appeal with a signal issue and no updates. Would've been perfect if this had not come up.

Journeyman

Wow. mega bummer... Now I'm worried. The only thing I can ascertain or assume is that there is a bug in the power save or there is a tower issue with firmware that might have rolled out recently in some areas. I'm curious if any other sprint phones in your area have the same LOS issues. I could certainly understand a large defect in manufacturing if it affected all phones or a great deal of them (circa 2010 -Galaxy S I GPS antenna issues).  Samsung has proven that they aren't the king of making a phone, but they are pretty godd at building a great looking display for a mini computer, that just happens to have a sometimes crappy GPS and non-working phone... 

I've had my phone since the 23rd, so I'll keep an eye on mine and my friends. If we end up with the same issue, then we know it's got to be something Sprint is rolling out to towers.  In my job, we deal with Network Architecture, linking all our Mobile, WAN, and VoiP together and the amount of daily reported issues caused by incompatible IOS firmware vs Router Firmware vs PIX firmware is simply amazing. And each and every flash we do to get rid of one issue seems to create another....sigh...   But the fact that this is limited (possibly) to the Samsung phones makes me wonder a little deeper in a pool of thought. If I had the time and energy, I'd love to see a map of all the users who reported issues, and see if they are localized in regions or clusters, and then compare that to recent sprint rollouts...  You never know. It only takes one small missed business rule when building a phone to make it incompatible with future rollouts and enhancements to systems that are being upgraded. I see it all the time. I just hope it doesn't come to my town, if that is related to the root cause...

Journeyman

It happens to different phones at different times.If you read some people have them 4-5 times per day and some 1 time per day and some none or real seldom.It is all random but it happens on stock phones so a update needs to come out.

Journeyman

I have a stock, unmodified phone and it has happened once (as far as I know).  It lasted almost the entire afternoon.  I did place a call to Sprint about the issue and I've not seen the problem since.  They did not resolve my issue on the phone.  I just think the problem went away.  If it happens again, I'll place another call to them.  So far, its been good.  Since I'm officially past my 14 days trial, I'm going to have to live with this relationship for a little while :-)

Journeyman

I am having LOS issues too! At first I thought it was just me, but now I know there are many of us. I hope they get this fixed soon so this phone will be as great as it was meant to be.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

I had the same on my first unrooted phone. I had best buy replace my phone 5 days ago, and all is working well so far. My phone buid is the same as yours...Do we all run on the same hardware build?  (Hardware version D710.10)

Journeyman

I have been watching this thread for a while.

YES there is an issue.

YES it will get fixed.

Not all of you but some got me LOLing how childish you are acting about it.

Some of you spam non stop, some threaten to cancel their account or exchange the phone if demands are not meet, and yet some yammer on about emailing the Sprint CEO so he knows how sad you are.  HAHAHA Please... s**t happens grow up.

Give the techs the info if you got some and let them do their job.

I got the same phone and the same issues. I'm keeping the phone. Why would I do such a crazy thing? It's a great phone and when they fix the isssue(s) it will be even greater.

Journeyman

Ok, so Sprint  techs are telling customer service AND Assurion, that service is out in my area.  Funny thing about that, I have 2 phones on the service and the other phone is working JUST fine, full signal strength.  I was on chat for over 45 minutes, hard resetting, resetting, putting this in, taking this out, resettting.  NOTHING.  The bloody replacement phone doesnt work.  It may be new, but it's a dud.  Assurion wont send another replacement because sprint techs are lying to them.  I'm without a phone now for 4 days.  Ooh a whole $10 credit on my $146 account.  Whoopee.  Maybe I wont pay the bill until they fix this. 

Oh the best part too, I get a message saying that my phone isnt activated.  Uh, news flash idiots, I even took it into a store and they were like, I dont know it works now.  what's the deal?  My old phone had service right here where I'm sitting, full signal strength just like the other phone in the house. 

Lies, lies and more lies. 

Customer for 11 years.  I must really be an idiot.

Oh and here's the info from the phone.

PRL 60681

Network:unknown

signal -106 dBm 0asu

service state: in service

Roaming: roaming

mobile network state: connecting

Firmware version: 2.2.1

baseband version: SSmiley Very Happy700.0.5s.EC05

Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9

build number: FROYO.EC05

Hardware Version: D700.0.5

Journeyman

Since reading the reviews on this phone I've thought it would be the one that got me to make the move from a "just talk" phone. I've been a satisfiled Sprint customer for over a decade, but have always made handset decisions on what had the best call quality and reliabilty. I've been to the Sprint store to look at the phone a couple of times, so I'm glad I checked the intertubes to see if folks were having problems. I won't be buying one of these until this problem is resolved. Looked at the Photon as well, but it has the unexpected reboot issue, so I won't be going that route either. I understand that sometimes issues with products are not evident until it is in the hands of end users, but this really seems to be another case of using early adopters as beta testers, without any beta tester compensation. To LOL at people whose PHONE won't connect, because after all it is so shinny and cool, well that seems to be the real childish attitude.

Journeyman

Actually.

I had this phone for almost 6 months, brand new was great but then I accidentally broke it.  No problem I have Assurion insurance.  The problem came when I received the replacement phone.  I'd never had any issues with this phone.  I love it, it's this replacement phone that is a piece of crap.  And then to be lied to by Sprint, and then get different answers as well.  That's what ticks me off more than anything.  Just be truthful, admit that there are batches out there that are crap.  Replace them and let it be over with.  Lying only makes us angrier.

I'm posting this in response to others that need to know that they are not alone.  I'm not beatching about it, just sending the facts so no one says "did you turn it on?" or some other typical line. 

Journeyman

Add me to list of LOS.  I have had phone one week and happened 3 times.  Stock phone, ROM.  Zip 92649-2527.  Have talked to tech support about other issue and he did mention that maintenance update was coming but did not know when.

Doc

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat