Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Journeyman

Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

UPDATES:

12/7: Sprint has finally released via OTA EK02 which should hopefully fix the LOS issues. Samsung also released the kernel source today - and from the looks of it, they also fixed a bunch of other issues Sprint won't admit to (or maybe they didn't know about....).

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/samsung/samsung_epic_...

9/29: Shane_M has responded from Sprint with this message:

"The loss of signal issue is an official known issue, Sprint and Samsung are aware of this issue and it will be addressed in a maintenence release. This information is posted on our known issues board and should be accessible by any care or technical support representative you speak with."

------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a growing problem - did a quick search and didn't find anything in here....

The issue is the phone will go into "No Signal" mode randomly and the only way to get out of it is to reboot the phone.  Happens when in sleep mode; with and without wifi on; standing on your head; kissing your wife. Here are the messages spouted in Logcat when it happens:

• I/TelephonyRegistry( 2716): notifyServiceState: 1 home Searching for service...    Unknown CSS not supported 0 0RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false
  • I/StatusBarPolicy( 2835): onServiceStateChanged-S:1 home Searching for service...    Unknown CSS not supported 0 0RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false
  • D/Mms/SmsReceiverService( 5897): [Mms/SmsReceiverService][SMS]Receiver handleMessage : Action =android.intent.action.SIM_STATE_CHANGED
  • D/PhoneApp( 2874): - state: DISCONNECTED
  • D/PhoneApp( 2874): - reason: radioTurnedOff
  • I/TelephonyRegistry( 2716): notifyServiceState: 3 home null null null  Unknown CSS not supported -1 -1RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false

Anyone see a problem here?  SIM_STATE_CHANGED?  radioTurnedOff?

671 REPLIES 671
Journeyman

mnmsanghani,

No, not yet unfortunately. I'm going to check again when I get back into work on Tuesday.

Journeyman

I hear you and it's not getting any better....My EVO 4G never did anything like this!shot_000003.jpg

Journeyman

I'm having this same issue.

Just switched from Verizon to Sprint because of this phone - my first smartphone, and am incredibly disappointed. Just spent 30 minutes registering for this website and coming up with password, username, and community that matches the annoying rules only to be able to post here and express my disappointment.

My first bill is due tomorrow, and it will be a perfect time for me to vent my dissatisfaction.

Journeyman

Add my two phones to this list.  This is the first day of Sprint for me and am extremely disappointed with the radio in this phone.  I switched over from VZW for this phone.  I've watched the signal bars and it jumps...alot.  I'm in the middle of a major metro area and can't get anything over 1 bar and data is extremely slow or non-exsistant.  Have had to attach the phones to my home wifi for data.  Sometimes the signal jumps to full, and drops back down to 1 (or zero) just as fast.

Tech support's favorite fix (power cycle) does not work.  Have done this several times with no help.

Any concrete date when this fix will come out or will Samsung string this along like they've done with releases in the past?

Journeyman

I switched over 3 lines from ATT to Sprint for better service unlimited data and my company discount... I'm really dissapointed in the LOS issues I've encountered with my E4GT.  It's still not fixed and what am I paying the bill for if I don't have a reliable $600 smartphone!  I got my Sprint lines at KHL owned Sprint store... word of advice... "worst place to go for sprint service..."  These people have no cusotmer service whatsoever.  The guy who setup my lines was new and didn't know s*** about doing it right... he screwed up my company discount.... Gave us the wrong blackberry phone for my wifes line.... couldn't just exchange it for the Bold that she wanted, but we had to purchase the bold and wait over 60 days for a refund towards the bill.... My E4GT was never there as promised... I couldn't take it back for an exchange after the 1st week of purchase becasue I already exchanged it for the EVO3D and their exchange policy is not the purchase date of the device but the date of the new liine activation... So if my $600 smartphone is having issues I am stuck with it or I have the Smasung warranty to deal with...

Sprint, I am really dissapointed in your service, your lack of care to fix this LOS issue, and especially all KHL owned stores.... Your policies are reciculous and it would be nice to have the display models of all the phones so people can see what they are paying for!!!

Journeyman

It's completely ridiculous.  What's going to happen the first time someone needs this phone fast.  Like a car accident, etc.  And no signal.  It's going to cause a lawsuit or two.  You can't tell me this thing was tested properly.  I had a couple of guys at my office that wanted to get one when they saw mine until they heard me cussing every time this happens.  This should have been fixed by now.  This is a HUGE problem.  I find myself checking the stupid phone constantly just to make sure I have a connection.  Stupidity.

Journeyman

I'm quite unhappy as well. I swallowed a $200 ETF fee with AT&T to switch to Sprint last Thursday, both for what I thought would be a better phone and better service. That's obviously not the case. What's even more upsetting is that obviously Sprint knows this is an issue, yet it was not disclosed at the time of sale.

In the state of Texas, this is a violation of the DTPA. under Sec 17.46(b)(24) which declares as deceptive, "failing to disclose information concerning goods or services which was known at the time of the transaction if such failure to disclose such information was intended to induce the consumer into a transaction into which the consumer would not have entered had the information been disclosed;"

I'd recommend others check with their state attorney general's office for their state's laws on this issue. You may have agreed to mandatory binding arbitration when signed your contract, but your state's attorney general did not. Sprint needs to know it's customers will consider all avenues of recourse.

Fortunately, I am still within my 14 day window to return the phone and cancel the service.

Journeyman

There is the L word again. "Lawsuit" I have heard that before. It is nothing but empty threats. Let me tell you all this. You purchased a phone that you should have waited on and read the forums about first. (Like me) You live and learn. I myself have learned from experience. I purchased a Samsung Moment when it came out 2 years ago and all the Moment owners went through these same issues. The word Lawsuit was thrown around a lot. See http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/220428#220428 or do a search for Samsung Moment Lawsuit. Since then, I have learned to not be an early adopter, but to wait and read the forums. I am not sure if it is Samsung or the combination of Samsung and Sprint but Samsung phones seem to be the most problematic phones on the Sprint network going back all the way to the Instinct. Anyway, don't use the Lawsuit word as Sprint and Samsung know that they are only empty threats. As for me, I am still waiting to see if a VALID fix will come out for this phone, but more than likely, I will be purchasing a non-Samsung phone from now on. As I said, you live and learn and I have learned that my money going to another company other than Samsung speaks louder than the empty threat of a lawsuit.

Patron

I also have the LOS day 1 of haveing phone

Journeyman

Strange that all these phones need a maintenance update... I have four lines, and the most recent one, yesterday,  I just added another SGS2 Epic Touch, and no issues. I thought I might have had an issue two weeks ago but it was a flaky tower, and everything has been fine since day one with my first one, so I expect that my brother's will be the same as mine.

Question:

If there is a maintenance OTA that is going to fix the issue, and it is related only to the phone (and not the area, tower compatibility, etc>) why doesn't every phone exhibit the same issue. I have 19 friends/Relatives in the Lancaster PA area, all with SGS2 EPic 4G touch, some store bought and others online (mine were both online purchases almost a month apart) and we've compared all the firmware and hardware specs. Ours are all identical. And they were bought from Sept.16 (day of release) up to and including yesterday.  I just can't buy the explanation that this is a phone thing, as much as something related to sprint's internal network which allows/denies access of the phone...  Thoughts?  Others have reported bad phones with in minutes or hours of activation, followed by another failure of the same model that was replaced with in 24 hours.  I think SPRINT has got some 'splainin' to do, yes?

Wizard

Been keeping up with this, but haven't had this happen but twice.  Here's what's being said over at XDA

@xdadevelopers Post: LOS update -- new development http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1297962

Shane_M is this true that there's some coding that thinks there should be a SIM but it shows up disconnected and then boots the signal?  If so, seems like a logical issue/fix and everyone should sigh a big sigh of relief as it isn't the hardware to fault.

Wizard

Also there's this thread with all kinds of logcats in it:

Thread: LOS alogcat logs, kmsg logs and bug reports http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1289274

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat