Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Highlighted
Journeyman

Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

UPDATES:

12/7: Sprint has finally released via OTA EK02 which should hopefully fix the LOS issues. Samsung also released the kernel source today - and from the looks of it, they also fixed a bunch of other issues Sprint won't admit to (or maybe they didn't know about....).

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/samsung/samsung_epic_...

9/29: Shane_M has responded from Sprint with this message:

"The loss of signal issue is an official known issue, Sprint and Samsung are aware of this issue and it will be addressed in a maintenence release. This information is posted on our known issues board and should be accessible by any care or technical support representative you speak with."

------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a growing problem - did a quick search and didn't find anything in here....

The issue is the phone will go into "No Signal" mode randomly and the only way to get out of it is to reboot the phone.  Happens when in sleep mode; with and without wifi on; standing on your head; kissing your wife. Here are the messages spouted in Logcat when it happens:

• I/TelephonyRegistry( 2716): notifyServiceState: 1 home Searching for service...    Unknown CSS not supported 0 0RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false
  • I/StatusBarPolicy( 2835): onServiceStateChanged-S:1 home Searching for service...    Unknown CSS not supported 0 0RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false
  • D/Mms/SmsReceiverService( 5897): [Mms/SmsReceiverService][SMS]Receiver handleMessage : Action =android.intent.action.SIM_STATE_CHANGED
  • D/PhoneApp( 2874): - state: DISCONNECTED
  • D/PhoneApp( 2874): - reason: radioTurnedOff
  • I/TelephonyRegistry( 2716): notifyServiceState: 3 home null null null  Unknown CSS not supported -1 -1RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false

Anyone see a problem here?  SIM_STATE_CHANGED?  radioTurnedOff?

671 REPLIES 671
Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm sorry DallasFan55 but your way of thinking is obsurd. So what you're saying is that its okay for Home Depot to continue selling defective products and not support you after they sell it? Seriously that's how you're going to justify Sprint. I hope you never have any real issues where you have to change that warped way of thinking.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have had loss of service on aproximately 10 occasions since I got my device near launch day.  Although somewhat infrequent...this is unacceptable due to potentially missing critical calls!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just to let everyone know.  I have been posting links to a petition, relating to slow data speed.

Oviously they don't like this.  I am sure that posting the link violates the "don't tell on us" clause, in terms of use.

So I won't post the link.....

Sprint Mods have gone through the entire forum and removed all of the posts linking to the petition.

If you are interested, you can just google it.

Let's see how long this post lasts

Highlighted
Journeyman

Honestly, If I could just get some (verbal OR written) reassurance that my 2 YR CONTRACT gives me priority over Virgin & Boost I would be happy enough to not sign any petition. Unlimited is still unlimited, no matter how slow it seems. Btw, try reading some info on their new Network Vision that will help with some of your concrns.

Now back on topic:

I too have had several occasions where LoS occured and it's been in a place where it was important for me to recieve calls and/or sms.

Please Sprint PLEASE release your wifi offloading plans. I am eagerly awaiting them.

Details:

I have noticed that it will only happen when I am in a [very] low service area for a while.

All I can say is, Thank God this phone reboots as fast as it does!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I never said Home Depot wouldn't support me after the fact. I'm simply stating that its not the supplier's responsibility to test all the products they sell. I think it's absurd to blame Sprint for a defect in a Samsung product. The Galaxy S ll  4G Epic has an issue and Samsung is working on a solution. People need to be patient. My main signal issues and LOS is at my home and I am retired meaning im home 80% of the time. Sprint is addressing my concern and assuring me it's being looked into. I could have returned my phone on the 14th day but I love this phone and I know in time "when the issue is fixed" that it will be the most awesome phone in the market.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Would I blame Home Depot if I bought a badly made and tested appliance from them?  I sure would if the appliance in question had Home Depot's name on it as the E4GT has Sprint's name on it and if it had been specifically modified for Home Depot and to their specifications by the manufacturer as our Samsung made E4GT has been made to Sprint's specs to only run on Sprint's network.  So yeah, I blame Sprint for the LOS in the E4GT.  Samsung could never have released this thing built to Sprint's specs and sold in Sprint's stores without Sprint signing off on it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is like the "which came first, the chicken or the egg". I know Sprint added their touch to this phone but I still feel it was Samsungs responsibility to test the changes made before allowing Sprint to sell it. Samsung still had to build it with what Sprint wanted in it and Im sure had Samsung tested it while still in production they would have fixed the issue to begin with. Before releasing it to Sprint. Again I will say Sprint doesn't manufactor phones! They just have certain features they want the manufactors to add to devices.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Agreed.  It is not Sprints fault that the phone has defects.  But it is there fault for not pulling the phone off the shelfs or atleast telling possible customers of the issue. I have been following this forum and a few others.  I was in my upgrade status and looking for a new phone.  Coming from the HTC Hero you can understand me needing a new phone.  I was debating between this phone and the Iphone 4S.  I dont really care for HTC after owning that pos Hero for two years.  And I saw the Photon had some issues as well.  So to me it was between the E4GT and Iphone. So I went into the store and start looking around. 

I had intentions of putting an Iphone on reserve but the E4GT just had such a beautiful display.  I know many have warned potential subscribers away from this phone.  But I start thing well, I see a few hundred people complaining about the phone having issues.  How many of these phones have Samsung sold?  Maybe some people just got some bad phones but the majority are good.  But I ask the sales reps at the store if they have heard about this issue and I was told NO by two seperate guys.  They have never heard of such an issue.  I decided "screw it", give me the phone.

Man I had that phone for less than a day and took that sh!t back....quick.  First off, my first call was from my cousin when I was in Petsmart.  The signal was kind of choppy and fuzzy and fading in and out.  I had never had a phone call like that in 2 years with the Hero.  Then I get home and play around with the phone.  Again, awesome screen, quick phone, has alot going for it.  I then plug in the phone to charge.  Just like others, it caused this phone to freak.  The screen became almost un-responsive and I sent this gibberish text message to my friend trying to delete the gibberish.  I take it off the charger and it seems to be ok.  Except the Home menu key is not responding.  So I do my first battery pull with a phone less than a few hours old. This is just ridiculous. 

Next day I go to work with my new phone.  I work in an old military 4 story building and my office is in the 1st floor.  God knows how much lead paint is on the walls.  But my HTC Hero had got signal.  Barely.  Sometimes went into roaming.  But still got signal non the less.  Atleast enough to send text messages.  This phone did not.  I was barely able to send out and receive a couple of text messages.  And even those I had to resend multiple times to get it to go through.  I also look at the bars and the signal would jump all over the place.

After work, I swung by the sprint store and took that POS back.  I didnt even care about the restocking fee.  Whatever.  Beats having to put up with another POS phone for the next 2 years like I had just done with the Hero.  I put my reserve down on the Iphone 4S 32Gig in black.  This was on Nov 7th.  I received a call the next day that my phone was in.  I am not an apple loyal.  This is my first iphone especially since I've only had Sprint for the last 6 years.  I had never had a chance to get the Iphone anyways.  I have an Ipad though.  And my Ipad works perfectly.  So after a couple days with the Iphone, I am very happy. 

I would say I dont think they (sprint and/or samsung) will fix anything.  If the phone is defective, no its not sprints fault.  But sprint straight up lied to my face about the phone not having any issue.  And when I was getting my Iphone, I watched them try to sell the phone to another customer with no issues as well.  I think samsung got the money they needed from this phone and will be working on the "next greatest phone ever to exist."  But I seriously doubt they will make any attempt to fix these issues.  And shame on you Sprint.  You should be honest to your customers

Highlighted
Journeyman

Now I am starting to have more frequent loss of signal incidences.  This is totally software.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ladies and gentlemen, Herman Melville!

haha just kidding, yeah this really sucks I've had to reboot once already today for LOS!!

KENNETHCALK wrote:

Agreed.  It is not Sprints fault that the phone has defects.  But it is there fault for not pulling the phone off the shelfs or atleast telling possible customers of the issue. I have been following this forum and a few others.  I was in my upgrade status and looking for a new phone.  Coming from the HTC Hero you can understand me needing a new phone.  I was debating between this phone and the Iphone 4S.  I dont really care for HTC after owning that pos Hero for two years.  And I saw the Photon had some issues as well.  So to me it was between the E4GT and Iphone. So I went into the store and start looking around. 

I had intentions of putting an Iphone on reserve but the E4GT just had such a beautiful display.  I know many have warned potential subscribers away from this phone.  But I start thing well, I see a few hundred people complaining about the phone having issues.  How many of these phones have Samsung sold?  Maybe some people just got some bad phones but the majority are good.  But I ask the sales reps at the store if they have heard about this issue and I was told NO by two seperate guys.  They have never heard of such an issue.  I decided "***** it", give me the phone.

Man I had that phone for less than a day and took that sh!t back....quick.  First off, my first call was from my cousin when I was in Petsmart.  The signal was kind of choppy and fuzzy and fading in and out.  I had never had a phone call like that in 2 years with the Hero.  Then I get home and play around with the phone.  Again, awesome screen, quick phone, has alot going for it.  I then plug in the phone to charge.  Just like others, it caused this phone to freak.  The screen became almost un-responsive and I sent this gibberish text message to my friend trying to delete the gibberish.  I take it off the charger and it seems to be ok.  Except the Home menu key is not responding.  So I do my first battery pull with a phone less than a few hours old. This is just ridiculous. 

Next day I go to work with my new phone.  I work in an old military 4 story building and my office is in the 1st floor.  God knows how much lead paint is on the walls.  But my HTC Hero had got signal.  Barely.  Sometimes went into roaming.  But still got signal non the less.  Atleast enough to send text messages.  This phone did not.  I was barely able to send out and receive a couple of text messages.  And even those I had to resend multiple times to get it to go through.  I also look at the bars and the signal would jump all over the place.

After work, I swung by the sprint store and took that POS back.  I didnt even care about the restocking fee.  Whatever.  Beats having to put up with another POS phone for the next 2 years like I had just done with the Hero.  I put my reserve down on the Iphone 4S 32Gig in black.  This was on Nov 7th.  I received a call the next day that my phone was in.  I am not an apple loyal.  This is my first iphone especially since I've only had Sprint for the last 6 years.  I had never had a chance to get the Iphone anyways.  I have an Ipad though.  And my Ipad works perfectly.  So after a couple days with the Iphone, I am very happy. 

I would say I dont think they (sprint and/or samsung) will fix anything.  If the phone is defective, no its not sprints fault.  But sprint straight up lied to my face about the phone not having any issue.  And when I was getting my Iphone, I watched them try to sell the phone to another customer with no issues as well.  I think samsung got the money they needed from this phone and will be working on the "next greatest phone ever to exist."  But I seriously doubt they will make any attempt to fix these issues.  And shame on you Sprint.  You should be honest to your customers

Highlighted
Journeyman

Who's that?

Highlighted
Journeyman

For all you pissed off people look for and sign the petition against Sprint for slow data speeds and loss of service. Search google for

Sprint Cellular Provider Slow Data: Suspend premium data fees until data rates match advertised speeds at change.org get your people power back..

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat