Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Highlighted
Journeyman

Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

UPDATES:

12/7: Sprint has finally released via OTA EK02 which should hopefully fix the LOS issues. Samsung also released the kernel source today - and from the looks of it, they also fixed a bunch of other issues Sprint won't admit to (or maybe they didn't know about....).

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/samsung/samsung_epic_...

9/29: Shane_M has responded from Sprint with this message:

"The loss of signal issue is an official known issue, Sprint and Samsung are aware of this issue and it will be addressed in a maintenence release. This information is posted on our known issues board and should be accessible by any care or technical support representative you speak with."

------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a growing problem - did a quick search and didn't find anything in here....

The issue is the phone will go into "No Signal" mode randomly and the only way to get out of it is to reboot the phone.  Happens when in sleep mode; with and without wifi on; standing on your head; kissing your wife. Here are the messages spouted in Logcat when it happens:

• I/TelephonyRegistry( 2716): notifyServiceState: 1 home Searching for service...    Unknown CSS not supported 0 0RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false
  • I/StatusBarPolicy( 2835): onServiceStateChanged-S:1 home Searching for service...    Unknown CSS not supported 0 0RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false
  • D/Mms/SmsReceiverService( 5897): [Mms/SmsReceiverService][SMS]Receiver handleMessage : Action =android.intent.action.SIM_STATE_CHANGED
  • D/PhoneApp( 2874): - state: DISCONNECTED
  • D/PhoneApp( 2874): - reason: radioTurnedOff
  • I/TelephonyRegistry( 2716): notifyServiceState: 3 home null null null  Unknown CSS not supported -1 -1RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false

Anyone see a problem here?  SIM_STATE_CHANGED?  radioTurnedOff?

671 REPLIES 671
Highlighted
Journeyman

Bpoli

Would you mind sharing a link with instructions to UNroot?

I rooted it the first weekend after release, and at that time it was very tricky to unroot... needing modification of some files and PRL or something.

I'm hoping that there is a way that is as easy as it was to root. 😃

Highlighted
Journeyman

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yea, it appears the Sprint has pulled down every link to the petition on their site.  Guess they aren't inerested in letting people find out ways to effectively voice their opinions.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The following is a message, which I recieved from our Sprint moderators. My reply is included:

You have been posting your link to a petition repeatedly in multiple unrelated discussions, forums and spaces. 

While we allow links to third party sites and we encourage discussion,

repeatedly posting the same copy-paste content across multiple discussions is a violation of the terms of service for this site.

Please keep your discussions on-topic and avoid repeated posting of unrelated information.

Thank you,

Will England

Sprint Community Admin

To   start, as it appears that Sprint is uncomfortable seeing posts to   petitions in their forums,  I will not post that link anymore.

Regarding  your warning about my posts being spam, that is  redicuous.  I am not  selling anything or promoting any personal agenda.   All of my posts  have been in directly related topics. 

These  topics all  included  extremely slow data rates and Loss of signal  issues, which  have not been addressed by sprint.  My samsung still  looses radio  connection every other day (requiring a reboot). 

I  have even been in  the posistion where my family was standing on a  Downtown Los Angeles  street corner for an hour and a half, unable to  call me because my phone  wasn't connected.

Sprint publically  acknoledged this problem at the end of September and had done nothing  about it.  Maybe that's what we should all be worried about??

In the spirit of transparency, I will post your concerns in the general forum.

Paul Oberman 10 Year Sprint customer

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have never had any problems with loss of service on my touch.  My buddy rooted his phone, and had issues.  Once we unrooted and took everything back to stock settings, the problem disappeared.   You all need to quit modding your phones and causing unnecessary drama.  Holy balls

Highlighted
Journeyman

My Touch is fully stock and I get the actual LOS bug 3-5 times a week

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just because this was your experience doesn't mean that is the same for everyone. Quit making stupid blanket statements you can't back up. Many people get the loss of service on stock.

YourKiddingRight1 wrote:

I have never had any problems with loss of service on my touch.  My buddy rooted his phone, and had issues.  Once we unrooted and took everything back to stock settings, the problem disappeared.   You all need to quit modding your phones and causing unnecessary drama.  Holy balls

Highlighted
Journeyman

YourKiddingRight1,

I'm on stock, never rooted.  And, it's spelled "You're."

Pete    

Highlighted
Journeyman

where should he have used you're?

Highlighted
Wizard

I've been around this site for a couple years now and I will tell you that you catch more flies and attention with honey than you do with vinegar.  I understand how mad you can get, I get mad at them too, but you need to calmly call Sprint CSR on the phone and tell them your experience to see what they can do for you.  OR Tweet them, they're pretty good about responding.  This forum isn't for people to flame on Sprint and they are pretty good about not moderating too many comments - I've only seen it happen a handful of times, but clearly Will pointed out what you were in violation of and therefore sent you a message about it.  The "petitions" don't do squat. ever. So there's no need in starting one.

Contact Sprint via phone, post the topic in these forums with details of what is wrong and if necessary send them a PM about the issue.  It's not like Sprint is over on the other side of the interwebz maniacally laughing at all of us fo.ols that bought this phone.  They usually tell us what they know, which is sometimes nothing at all or made up.  That's life.  Shane_M is working hard to get us information and we will have an update at some point.  Sprint is a huge company with clear communication issues like any big company.  Just relax.  The best avenue is to call Sprint, get elevated to someone that can do something for you credit-wise on your account AND take your phone back to Sprint and get another one.  I've had LOS once and many people have never had it.....and many people have it many times a day.  It's sort of a mystery but they're working on it.  I got credits for the ridiculously slow data speeds so I'm not so bitter, but I provided them with plenty of data and dealt with the proper CSRs.

But stomping your feet on this forum and holding your breath isn't going to make your phone work.  Go to the store and get another phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

No one is stomping their feet.  When I started the data speed petition, they were denying that there was even a data speed problem. 

The point of the petition is to make it so they can't deny that there is a problem and let them know that their customers are serious.

The LOS issue was acknoleged by them at the end of September.  Since then we haven't heard a word.

Credits are great, but I don't like sitting on a phone for two hours fishing for one.  What I really want is a solution. 

I have enough hobbies.  Please just deliver the hardware and services you advertise.

Believe me when I say that if they could just deny the problems and continue to collect their fees, they would opt for that.  Don't you think that they knew of the data speed problems from day one?  What did they do?? Deny is as long as they could.

Anyway

Highlighted
Journeyman

22350-Pete was referring to the statement "You all" should be "you're all".  Grammatically more correct but does change the meaning of the statement.

Doc 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat