Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Highlighted
Journeyman

Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

UPDATES:

12/7: Sprint has finally released via OTA EK02 which should hopefully fix the LOS issues. Samsung also released the kernel source today - and from the looks of it, they also fixed a bunch of other issues Sprint won't admit to (or maybe they didn't know about....).

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/samsung/samsung_epic_...

9/29: Shane_M has responded from Sprint with this message:

"The loss of signal issue is an official known issue, Sprint and Samsung are aware of this issue and it will be addressed in a maintenence release. This information is posted on our known issues board and should be accessible by any care or technical support representative you speak with."

------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a growing problem - did a quick search and didn't find anything in here....

The issue is the phone will go into "No Signal" mode randomly and the only way to get out of it is to reboot the phone.  Happens when in sleep mode; with and without wifi on; standing on your head; kissing your wife. Here are the messages spouted in Logcat when it happens:

• I/TelephonyRegistry( 2716): notifyServiceState: 1 home Searching for service...    Unknown CSS not supported 0 0RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false
  • I/StatusBarPolicy( 2835): onServiceStateChanged-S:1 home Searching for service...    Unknown CSS not supported 0 0RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false
  • D/Mms/SmsReceiverService( 5897): [Mms/SmsReceiverService][SMS]Receiver handleMessage : Action =android.intent.action.SIM_STATE_CHANGED
  • D/PhoneApp( 2874): - state: DISCONNECTED
  • D/PhoneApp( 2874): - reason: radioTurnedOff
  • I/TelephonyRegistry( 2716): notifyServiceState: 3 home null null null  Unknown CSS not supported -1 -1RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false

Anyone see a problem here?  SIM_STATE_CHANGED?  radioTurnedOff?

671 REPLIES 671
Highlighted
Journeyman

it give you $100 gift card. so it is a wash. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

That's true but it also requires a new 2 year contract with Sprint including Hotspot which is 29.00 additional a month.

Highlighted
Journeyman

there is a new modem update for the epic 4g. I haved installed it and i havent had LOS all day today. I will continue to monitor my phone thru out the coming days and keep you posted.

How to install a Modem on the Samsung Epic 4G Touch

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?feature=mhee&v=zJ1wsJhT4s0

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just had los but the numbers of occurance have decreased

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint what the heck is going on why are you treating us this way?

Its close to 2 months since this thread was started issue reported and nothing has come from it,

Patch for such serious issue should of been released weeks ago.

You acknowledge LOS issue in thread yet most CS have no clue about it , Samsungs denies it being issue & no updates in your forum on fix progress.

Please provide us with true answers if there's going to be fix and if so when will it be available.

Journeyman

The answer is quite obviuos.  Sprint doesn't care about us. 

Pete

Highlighted
Journeyman

I spoke to a sprint rep yesterday and he assured me Samsung was releasing a fix/update on 11/23.

I'll believe it when I see it.  I have been running EG31 modem with no LoS for a week anyways.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Have you found better data speeds with the EG31 modem?

Highlighted
Journeyman

The data speeds mostly suck here in Jacksonville.  4G when you get it is pretty good, 4-5MB before and after.  I seem to get a little better signal on 3G with the EG31 (800-1100KB)and the speed may by 10-20% better...mainly I get coverage where I did not before(3G speaking).  Voice coverage seems stronger as well with newer modem.

Highlighted
Wizard

Phil-JC,

The update is still being worked on and still scheduled to be fixed with the first maintenance release. I will see if I can get approval to post any more information as far as the progress though and let you know. As far as someone not having information of this issue, I'm sorry the information regarding any known issue is located in our internal database that is accessible by any care representative.

mr.pickem,

There has been no information regarding an estimated date for the maintenance release and we're not allowed to speculate on any dates. I like the Homer avatar!

Highlighted
Journeyman

It is absolutely horrendous customer support that this issue has not been fixed. Sprint is hemorrhaging customers at an incredible rate ("Sprint said Thursday it lost another 101,000 wireless customers that are under contract in the second quarter. The company also reported a financial loss of $847 million.") but nothing is being to to protect those of us that are still here. As soon as there was bad press about the iPhone 4S slow data speeds it was taken "very seriously" but our phone is crippled and still nothing. Calling customer service is pointless, most of them do not acknowledge there is a problem. Why should I continue to pay for service that does not work? Oh that's right I bought the ET4G as soon as it came out and signed up for another 2 year contract only to be disappointed by this issue on such a great phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think the big problem here Shane is the amount of time it's taking to get this maintenance release out, to fix a problem that affects so many owners and that affects them in a very serious way. LOS can mean missed calls, sometimes important calls, with the added side effect of massive battery drain while the OS furiously tries to connect to voice and data on a radio that's been turned off. If it's Samsung that isn't getting the update to you in a timely manner, I'd fire them and stop carrying their devices. They can't seem to write firmware that works well on Sprint's CDMA network anyways. You don't hear about these serious signal and connectivity issues on GSM networks. After the Nexus S debacle, aren't you guys a bit tired of this by now?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat