cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have just recieved my replacement phone and this is what's going on.

The new phone's gps now locks.  Thank God....

The radio is still very weak.  Reception sucks.  I have tried loading the new radio, EG31, and it doesn't seem to do anything.  I sat at my computer cross referencing signal vs. radio, while switching back and forth.  No noticable difference. 

Phone just clicked over to ROAM.  Nice!!

At this point, I appear to be stuck on a phone, which works like   c r a p  .

Considering just selling it on ebay, to pay the ETF and bail on sprint, as they don't appear to care about selling faulty merchandise. 

Any Sprint reps want to jump in on this to save a two line family account from going over to ATT??

THE SOUND OF ONE HAND CLAPPING

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Thank you brassuli for a smart consise and informative response.  You saved me a lot of time from scrolling thru all the trolling going on.  I felt that it wasn't worth going thru the pile of c r a p just for a sprinkle of good info.

As for being tech-saavy, I really am.  However, I cannot and will not tolerate the slim chance of purchasing a phone that has to be altered in order for it to work, as a phone.

It should just work out of the box.  I will not accept any other reasoning/excuse.

Back to researching what phone to purchase it is...

Highlighted
Journeyman

You wouldn't happen to work for Sprint would you? If you don't then you sure seem to be supportive of their ill-treatment of its consumers. I agree that most phones today have problems but few. if any other....has the issue that the ET4G has. I'm not talking about some quirky app that doesn't work but a fault that could prevent you from contacting emergency services. I would like to see you give this phone to one of your kids and hope that they don't get LOS in a panic situation. From my experience with this phone along with 2 other Sprint phones that I own and my daughter who has the same ET4G phone that I do but on the verizon network, I've been able to deduce several things; The Sprint ET4G has a weaker signal than my Sprint transform and HTC Touch pro (ET4G=97-101dBa - Transform= 96dBa - Touch Pro=87dBa) my 2 year old phone gets a better signal than my new one! The Sprint ET4G has a much weaker signal (within a 15mile radius of my home) than the verizon version of the ET4G (Sprint=97-101dBa - verizon=76dBA) than the verizon version. My ET4G has been tested at a local Sprint repair store (at the request of Sprint) and was given a completely clean bill of health..."nothing wrong with it" they said. This problem is not related to some phones and not others, of course there probably are some phones that don't fall into this category but the issue is with this phone's weak antenna, which fails in weak to low signal areas causing the phone to completely 'disconnect'. this cannot be resolved without rebooting the phone. The weak antenna that this phone has is also in several other Samsung phones which also suffer the weak/low signal problem but in most cases do not have the complete LOS that the Sprint ET4G suffers. Couple this with the weak Sprint network coverage and voila! Not all people suffer it because not everyone lives/circulates in weak/low signal areas. The bottom line is this phone has an issue which makes it completely unreliable as a communication device. The fact is Sprint and Samsung know about the issue but have neither publicly admitted to it nor have they openly said that it is being worked on or that a fix is coming....it's all hearsay and counts for nothing. That's why when you call, reps will tell you whatever they want...or whatever you want to here....the same as the 'supposed' reps who post here continue to 'feed' us a lot of unsubstantiated claims of fixes. Again, bottom line...nothing is coming as a fix for this from Sprint or Samsung that anyone can 100% confirm and so I don't see where Sprint "are being communicative" about anything! They will never admit to this phone's issue as it would cost them a small fortune. What you might see as people being whiners are actually people concerned about a device that does not work as advertised and for that reason alone, whether is 5% or 500% of the people who read this thread that suffer this problem...it needs a resolution and this phone should not be sold while it suffers this anomaly. Sprint and Samsung need to address this instead of burying their head's in the sand. If you wish to enjoy your phone 'as-it-is' go ahead, this thread isn't for you, you need the 'I love my ET4G thread' thread. I, along with many other people who suffer this problem on a regular basis choose to raise hell with Sprint and Samsung until they do actually come out and say something about fixing this issue. I also urge anyone who feels that they want more that idle promises from these companies, to file a complaint with the FCC and CPSC citing LOS and the seriousness of having it occur in an emergency situation.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thannk you for responding to the other knucklehead so politely for me, and I think its safe to say that's also for the rest of the people on this thread.

Do you think there's enough affected subscribers for maybe a class action lawsuit yet?  You know, all "5%" of those affected

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unfortunately, if you read your contract, you cannot initiate such a claim.

My suggestions for all are to continue registering your disapproval to both Sprint and Samsung. After repeated calls to Sprint, I was able to work a $40 p/mo reduction in my bill until the issue is corrected, due to me not being able to use the device as advertised. Complain to the FCC and CPSC and let them know that this phone at any given moment, may prevent inward and outward bound emergengy signals....and then let Sprint know what you did also. I'm personally sick of companies such as Sprint and Samsung putting out shoddy product and then choosing to ignore its customers hoping that it'll all blow over, meanwhile raping everybody with extortionate charges. I've seen it more and more with electronic consumer products and could show you documents from Panasonic and HP that were given to their employees to 'divert and delay' customers with certain issues. I have no doubt that Sprint and Samsung have the same agenda.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Edit

Post removed by me

Highlighted
Journeyman

so quick question. you are saying that your daughter has the same phone on the verizon network. first (verizon does not have this phone. or any GalaxySII varent whatsoever.) so i would really like to know how your are doing this comparison. second if you did go through the trouble of rooting and unlocking the device just to run on the verizon network. why would you not flash the lostkernal wich all but fixes the LOS issues this phone has and substantially increases the phones 3g and 4g speeds. i understand you are upset. but please do not fill an already trolled thread with even more false statment just because you are pissed. if you would like help with knowing how to flash the lostkernal to helpwith your loss of signal issues plaes send me a message. otherwise. lets just be sure we call sprint enough times untill they get the software bug fixed official. no more false information in thepis thread please.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am experiencing the same issue. Very frustrating!

Highlighted
Journeyman

JacobPagel> You are absolutely right and it was totally my mistake to mention that my daughter's phone is a Samsung Galaxy or derivative, however it is a CDMA Samsung phone that she bought within a week of me getting my ET4G. I really wasn't attempting to show comparable phones across different networks anyway, my intention was to show how weak Sprint's signal is in my area...which I think is pretty obvious. I'd like to add that both Sprint and Verizon show my zip as a weak signal area.

I'm not sure why you mention rooting and unlocking...I have done neither....nor will I.

I also think it’s totally irresponsible of you to mention it here as a possible solution to this issue. Even if it were a solution (which it isn’t), you would lose all rights of warranty on your device. Having just done a bit of searching on the internet for 'lostkernal' fix, it's apparent that several posters on forums who have done this modification to their phones, continue to have the loss of service issue so where's the benefit?

I strongly suggest to all here that they do not take the advice of JacobPagel and flash anything to your phone that has not been supplied by Sprint or Samsung.

As for trolling, I think we just have to look at the amount of posts you've made to see who's doing that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

nice try. but if you look next to my name, you can see that was my first post. also. yes it does void your warrenty but... if sprint is not going to make the phone workable. people do what they need to. and from your short searching im sorry that you came to the conclusoin that it doesnt help.. i can promise you it does help substantialy for 8 out 10 people. but you do what you want and be stuck with your phone not working properly instead of being proactive. i no longer have loss of signal issues.. but you believe what you want.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Highlighted
Journeyman

Give us some info. GAH! Sprint has had months to gather data. We should have had info on a fix by now. Or maybe Samsung is cranking out refurbed phones and after they make enough Sprint will do a phone swap.

Well if this is not fixed by start of 2012 I will be requesting a phone replacement.

Its a shame too. I like the phone but if its very unreliable what good is it?

What new cool phones are coming?

Hows the Proton?make it better/

I LOL about the threads of ICS coming to E4GT, If the phone can not get a signal and does LOS and roaming what good will ICS do?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat