Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Highlighted
Journeyman

Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

UPDATES:

12/7: Sprint has finally released via OTA EK02 which should hopefully fix the LOS issues. Samsung also released the kernel source today - and from the looks of it, they also fixed a bunch of other issues Sprint won't admit to (or maybe they didn't know about....).

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/samsung/samsung_epic_...

9/29: Shane_M has responded from Sprint with this message:

"The loss of signal issue is an official known issue, Sprint and Samsung are aware of this issue and it will be addressed in a maintenence release. This information is posted on our known issues board and should be accessible by any care or technical support representative you speak with."

------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a growing problem - did a quick search and didn't find anything in here....

The issue is the phone will go into "No Signal" mode randomly and the only way to get out of it is to reboot the phone.  Happens when in sleep mode; with and without wifi on; standing on your head; kissing your wife. Here are the messages spouted in Logcat when it happens:

• I/TelephonyRegistry( 2716): notifyServiceState: 1 home Searching for service...    Unknown CSS not supported 0 0RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false
  • I/StatusBarPolicy( 2835): onServiceStateChanged-S:1 home Searching for service...    Unknown CSS not supported 0 0RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false
  • D/Mms/SmsReceiverService( 5897): [Mms/SmsReceiverService][SMS]Receiver handleMessage : Action =android.intent.action.SIM_STATE_CHANGED
  • D/PhoneApp( 2874): - state: DISCONNECTED
  • D/PhoneApp( 2874): - reason: radioTurnedOff
  • I/TelephonyRegistry( 2716): notifyServiceState: 3 home null null null  Unknown CSS not supported -1 -1RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false

Anyone see a problem here?  SIM_STATE_CHANGED?  radioTurnedOff?

671 REPLIES 671
Highlighted
Journeyman

There is a leaked update floating around some other forums.

2.3.6  EK02

Due for December ota release, so maybe we are close to a real fix!

Keeping fingers crossed.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

If ICS comes to the Epic Touch it will likely have a new Radio package that will prevent the modem crashes that have been causing the Loss of service problem. I would imagine an update coming soon, but unfortunately no official announcement has been made, thus I have no way to name the date.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am getting this issue as well.  Thanks for posting this... I just purchased my Epic 4g Touch from Amazonwireless.  The phone runs great (otherwise), but the LoS issue is killer.

Further, the network speeds -- 3G / 4G on this device is really poor.  I can rarely (if EVER) get above 3mb/s on 4G (even with full bars outside in an open spot).  And, 3G most of the time is terribly slow (unless it's so late at night that no one is using it.  I think the firmware or Sprint software needs work on the 3G / 4G for this one as well... wireless works fine to a home router.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Most people have the LOS issue with this phone.  They have been promised an update from Sprint now since its release months ago.  I would eith recommend accepting the issue for the next 2 years or returning the phone for something else while you can.

As for the slow 3G/4G.  That is not cause of the phone.  That is what the Sprint network gives you.  Atleast you got 4G.  Could you imagine what some people are going through with the Iphone??????

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm sure this information has already been discussed at great lenghts, but I'm just to tired to read 39 pages to see if it has. Here's a couple of things that I've noticed with the LOS problem. It never happens when the phone is plugged into a charger, but once you unplug it good luck to ya. I've been in the middle of a conversation and had the signal drop. Calling Sprint did wonders, as the service tech I spoke with started looking up the issue on Google. Really!!!! And why is this issue hit or miss? A guy I work with has the exact same phone, and has never had this issue happen. I'm on my second phone, and sure enough, LOS. So why does this happen to rooted phones and non rooted phones, why does it not happen while it's plugged in and why does it not happen to EVERY epic phone. I would really like some answers since I've been with Sprint 10+ years and have three phones on my account. Come on Sprint, don't be the the next Netflix and give everyone a reason to jump ship. Worry less about the iPhone and focus more on the current issues at hand.

Highlighted
Journeyman

A date on the fix would be nice or offer to push it to us as a test.

Also will this allow me to see 4G at all? I have only seen 4G work when at a Sprint store or kios at the mall.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is ridiculous!  I have called Sprint several times no one seemed to know what I was talking about. Thanks to XDA forum, I realized that there is a problem with the antenna.  Sprint and Samsung totally denied it until I told them that I read it was a known issue.  Then Sprint got back onto the phone, and confirmed it was an issue.  Sprint told me to bring the phone to the store, and they said everything was fine.  It continued, and Sprint told me to contact Samsung, so I did.  Samsung told me that they have no knowledge of this issue. I asked if they kept this kind of information so that if people report a problem, they can see or realize there is a trend and I was told NO. I have names of all the folks I spoke to but I don’t want to put anyone on blast. I just called again after having so many issues with my phone this weekend and also today.  I had an emergency and I missed a very important call. I told Sprint and Samsung that this is a business line and that I needed a phone that will receive calls.  I called again today and asked to speak to a manager, I waited on hold for 21 minutes and then they hung up. I’m afraid that I’m going to have to cancel my service. Their customer service team is the worst in the world! They really need to focus on customer service if they wish to retain loyal subscribers like myself.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think we're seeing an effort by both sprint and samsung to deny there is problem officially. Both sprint and samsung have lost my business, officially.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It is frustrating.  However I called Customer Service last week and had good experience.  I was going to buy Airave on eBay and called to get specifics.  The CSR told me my area could use it and would be $4.99 for the service.  I told her I felt the price of 3 lines already should entitle me to Airwave service but said it nicely.  She transferred me to Accounts and I told her the story.  I was told do not buy the eBay unit since there would be a free one sent out and fee would be waived.  I think Sprint know there is a problem and at least some of the CSRs will try and make an effort.  

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm about to close the doors on Sprint. I've been a Sprint customer for over 10 years and I have 3 phones on my account but I don't see any resolution to this issue...especially when they can't/won't officially acknowledge it as a problem. I got the airave for free...and free service which goes some way to making the phone work in my home but really, what good is it when I walk out my front door? The device it great but the antenna/weak signal issue kills any benefit that this phone has and makes me fell that I can't trust this phone to work at all times (I've has LOS infrequently since I bought the phone). I've had the phone checked at a Sprint repair store and they've told me its ok.

All in all, I'm very disappointed in Sprint's attitude to this and other issues including the most recent CIQ announcement. I'm going to wait until I get my credit for porting a number over from Verizon back in September (how long does this take? Anyone know?) and then I'll swap all my phones over to Verizon. Its going to cost me I know and believe me being a small business owner, its something I can ill afford, but I'd rather pay more for something I know I'm going to get that keep paying for something that MAYBE will get fixed and work as it should.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The day the Nexus Prime comes out on Verizon, I bet this thread starts to quiet down. I'll be gone, anyway...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I will move to other service provider as soon as possible.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat