Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Highlighted
Journeyman

Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

UPDATES:

12/7: Sprint has finally released via OTA EK02 which should hopefully fix the LOS issues. Samsung also released the kernel source today - and from the looks of it, they also fixed a bunch of other issues Sprint won't admit to (or maybe they didn't know about....).

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/samsung/samsung_epic_...

9/29: Shane_M has responded from Sprint with this message:

"The loss of signal issue is an official known issue, Sprint and Samsung are aware of this issue and it will be addressed in a maintenence release. This information is posted on our known issues board and should be accessible by any care or technical support representative you speak with."

------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a growing problem - did a quick search and didn't find anything in here....

The issue is the phone will go into "No Signal" mode randomly and the only way to get out of it is to reboot the phone.  Happens when in sleep mode; with and without wifi on; standing on your head; kissing your wife. Here are the messages spouted in Logcat when it happens:

• I/TelephonyRegistry( 2716): notifyServiceState: 1 home Searching for service...    Unknown CSS not supported 0 0RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false
  • I/StatusBarPolicy( 2835): onServiceStateChanged-S:1 home Searching for service...    Unknown CSS not supported 0 0RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false
  • D/Mms/SmsReceiverService( 5897): [Mms/SmsReceiverService][SMS]Receiver handleMessage : Action =android.intent.action.SIM_STATE_CHANGED
  • D/PhoneApp( 2874): - state: DISCONNECTED
  • D/PhoneApp( 2874): - reason: radioTurnedOff
  • I/TelephonyRegistry( 2716): notifyServiceState: 3 home null null null  Unknown CSS not supported -1 -1RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false

Anyone see a problem here?  SIM_STATE_CHANGED?  radioTurnedOff?

671 REPLIES 671
Highlighted
Journeyman

brassuli wrote:

@beans699

We're in the exact same boat. Let me know what you decide when you do. I'll do the same. Looking at the HTC at all? Verizon?

I finally gave up waiting for this issue to be addressed/fixed by Sprint/Samsung. Decided to move to Verizon, so last night I bought an HTC Rezound through Amazon's $0.01 sale. The Epic Touch seems like a great phone and no phone is perfect, but this is a major issue. After owning a Sprint Palm Pre for the past couple years, I have no interest in waiting for promised fixes or updates (not that Sprint has even promised anything yet).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Let me know how this works out for you. If you find yourself getting good data speeds and service - I'm next to join big red.   My speed tests never get above 1mb.   generally between .24mbps and .45mbps.  What about that is "Premium"?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not sure what happened but just in case it didn't post I am reposting it. Check this network site out for Sprint. It shows what they've done in the last 6 months on their towers and what they are planning in the next 6 months. I have checked it and it explains why I have been experiencing better upload/download speeds and better cell reception when I leave home and am away from my Airave. This doesn't show 3G/4G info or anything but it just shows that they have or have not made improvements on certain towers. It does show data/voice/speed updates though. Very useful.

https://network.sprint.com/

Jim

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the link Jim.  Unfortunately when I check my area nothing has been improved in last 6 months and no improvement is planned for the future.  If the software update ever comes and improves things great.  However if things stay the same I should be changing my forum name to your name because I will be gone..

Bob

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same with my area Doc.  They have 1 improvement and that's at the airport.  I am cancelling my account when Verizon gets the Galaxy Nexus here in a few weeks.  The sales rep gave me a Razr to take home overnight and test.  The 3g is so much faster.  No LOS.  LTE was incredible.  I drove all around and got LTE all over Tulsa.  I didn't want to take it back but the Nexus will be much better.  He couldn't give me an exact date but looks like early Dec.  He did say that their data special (Double Data) will still be going on so I told him I'd have to wait.  I have been with Sprint quite a while but it's finally enough.  Just horrible service.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow.  I just changed to Sprint 2 months ago and have 3 lines on a family plan.  I am stuck for awhile since I do not want to reward them with ETF.  I might have to buy another phone outright if software update is ineffective.  Good luck Romeo with whatever you do.  Maybe I need to roam contantly and get booted off Sprint without ETF.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For all of you who are complaining about LOS, have you tried the EG31 file? Most people have seen their LOS's drop significantly.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For those of you who have checked the network link I posted and are seeing no changes or future changes, are you having problems all around your town or more at home? If the issue is at home what you need to do if you haven't already is to call Sprint and tell them to send you the Airave FOR FREE, and NO MONTHLY CHARGES FOR IT. Sometimes they will try and charge you for the unit and a charge a monthly fee for using it but if you do not get good reception at your home they are supposed to send you the Airave for free and without charge.

I have been a long time Nextel/Sprint customer. I left for a short while back around 2004 for business reasons but came back because Nextel really was in my opinion the best way to go especially since they had the push-to-talk that actually worked well. I am in the entertainment industry and everyone used it so it was great. Anyway, little by little, year after year since they became Sprint I have noticed customer service had declined.

Sorry, I'm getting off track. Call customer support get the Airave and it will improve your reception. Use it at home or work for that matter. I had it since I was in California and now in Arizona where I've moved recently and I go from 0-1 bar to full bars at home so definitely get one. At the very least it will give you some improvement on your phone until things change in your area hopefully.

Highlighted
Journeyman

RetiredDoc, you seriously need to keep calling Sprint and bugging the heck out of them about your issue. Are you in a rural area or something? How was reception from your other provider/phone? I'm pretty sure there is way for you to get out of your contract if things are that bad since its only been 2 months. There are always loopholes out there and I'm pretty sure I've read where people have been able to get out of paying the ETF fees. If I can find the information I'll post it for you.

Are all 3 phones Epic 4G Touch's? If not, how are the other models. If there are others that are working better you can get them to give you a different phone comparable to the Touch. I was offered the Nexus S or the HTC Evo 4G because of the problems I was having with my Epic 4G, not the Touch. And no, the Nexus S is not the one coming out but those two phones came out around the same time mine did in 2010 although I only purchased mine on Aug 2011. I know the Touch is a great phone but if its not working properly in your area its only that good and that serves you no purpose. I'd seriously like to get my hands on the Touch but I'd have to pay full retail since I only had mine since Aug. I may try and find someone that wants to trade phones or sell mine and look for a good deal on the Touch or even the Nexus coming out by years end.

With Gingerbread my phone is definitely working like it should have in the first place. After doing all my research I knew GB would fix at least 90% of the issues I was having with my phone and on November 9th, the day after my birthday I got GB and now my phone is like a brand new WORKING phone. I'm still very upset with Sprint though for all the headaches they've made me go through and being no help at all with getting my phone to work properly until GB came out.

I hope you do resolve your issue with your phone(s). Be persistent and don't stop until you get a hold of someone who will work with you on resolving the issues. There are a couple of good people at Sprint but they are hard to get a hold of on the phone.

Jim

Highlighted
Journeyman

To everyone else. Seriously, this is not the best forum for help and/or answers. You are really wasting your time here. Give some serious thought about going to other Android forums and posting/reading the threads specific to your phones. One of the best places I have found great information is "Android Forums". For those of you with the Samsung Epic 4G Touch go to this link:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-epic-4g-touch/

You will find all kinds of helpful information and they are more friendly there. I've found the most answers and ideas at that forum than any other. Don't get me wrong, there are other great forums but this is my favorite and most useful. You owe it to yourself to at least visit the site and see if you find helpful information and like the environment there. This place is just a waste of time in my opinion. I only come here because I want Sprint to actually see that I'm still very upset with them and also try to see if I can help others with information I've gotten from doing my own research and talking to others.

Hopefully I'll see some of you over there and you will find more useful information there. Take care and have a great week.

Jim Weda

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks Doc,

That is an idea. lol

What amazes me is that no customer service people visit this thing and try to make contact with us.  Good luck to you too.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Random,

I am indeed running that kernel along with a custom rom.  I will agree that it helps a little bit.  But even so I still get los.  And the worst part is the ghost los.  Yesterday my girlfriend kept trying to call me.  I thought she was just sleeping late.  I kept looking at my phone like normal.  When you own this phone and use Sprint you look at it every few minutes to make sure you have signal.  Anyway, I had a couple bars so I thought it was ok.  Well finally I went to get on the market and realize it's another los.  My girlfriend had sent me 21 texts and 5 voicemails because she was so worried.  This is a major problem and has been going on too long now.  I have given up and will be heading to Verizon within a few weeks.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat